I am currently listening to... *

Moderator: Eoin

Re: I am currently listening to... *

Postby Colm » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:38 pm

Nathalie wrote:Listening to Two door cinema club on their myspace.

needed my bro to tell me about them. according to the french "wanna be cool" music bible-mag Les Inrockuptibles, they're the next big thing to watch for from Ireland... Anyone knows them? they're playing the button factory on March 6. might go.

http://www.myspace.com/twodoorcinemaclub

Yeah, there seems to be a lot of buzz about them. A couple of their singles have been getting loads of airplay and they were in the State magazine and BBC tips for 2010.
"If all time was but a day,
We'd show up around midnight and say hey"
Colm

Postby jasmineha » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:33 am

My playlist at the moment is.... pretty much full of Bell. There's some Paolo Nutini, Turin Brakes, Amos Lee, Damien, and Nine Inch Nails. (I know, they don't really fit, but I am really loving "Discipline".) :)
jasmineha

Postby Eoin » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:10 am

Nine Inch Nails fit anywhere. ;)
Eoin

Postby Rocky » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:22 pm

Eoin wrote:Nine Inch Nails fit anywhere. ;)

Except something less than 9 inches deep, I'd imagine
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
Rocky

Postby Rocky » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:56 pm

.... and starting to reawaken my love for the music of Bellx1. I hadn't listened to them in ages up until yesterday I thought I was pretty much done with them but thankfully I was wrong. Phew :)
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
Rocky

Postby Sisunflower » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:39 pm

Sisunflower

Postby Nathalie » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:47 pm

Ground control to Major Tom... Boy, even I am not old enough to have been around at the time of release. fantastic album.
And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.
Nathalie

Postby Nathalie » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:45 pm

Just gone on a shopping spree. Bar Sade's Soldier of love and Eminem's Relapse, there's nothing new. We're listening to Duke Ellington, Diana Krall, Madeleine Peyroux, Brad Mehldau and Blue Harlem. All about jazz and swing... because from there, it can go anywhere. :wink:
Nathalie

Postby peepingtom » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:17 pm

NIN - the downward spiral (deluxe SACD edition with surround sound)

wowsers ... I can't work out why SACD never really took off!
__________________________________________________________________________________
peepingtom

Postby Rocky » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:03 pm

My complete CD collection. Finally getting around to putting them on my laptop which is usually a recipe for it breaking and my hard drive getting wiped. Let's see how it plays out....
Rocky

Postby Eoin » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:21 pm

peepingtom wrote:NIN - the downward spiral (deluxe SACD edition with surround sound)

Because very few players support SACD, and the surround can be encoded just the same on DVD-A. :)

There's a whole thing about DSD vs PCM as digital audio sampling methods, but rather than rant, I'll summarise by saying that SACD is incredibly inconvenient with only subjective and debateable advantages. :wink: The one thing it has going for it that's undisputably great is that it'll play as a normal CD if you put it in a player that doesn't read SACD.
Eoin

Postby peepingtom » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:24 am

Eoin wrote:
peepingtom wrote:NIN - the downward spiral (deluxe SACD edition with surround sound)

Because very few players support SACD, and the surround can be encoded just the same on DVD-A. :)

There's a whole thing about DSD vs PCM as digital audio sampling methods, but rather than rant, I'll summarise by saying that SACD is incredibly inconvenient with only subjective and debateable advantages. :wink: The one thing it has going for it that's undisputably great is that it'll play as a normal CD if you put it in a player that doesn't read SACD.

Yeah thats the thing there musnt have been any demand or they would have made more players compatible ...I guess mp3's took centre stage ... shame

Sony made the first ps3 units compatible, but dropped it with later releases ... I've never heard of DVD-A before ... any notable releases?
__________________________________________________________________________________
peepingtom

Postby Eoin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:37 pm

I have the With Teeth special edition 'dualdisc'. It's a DVD-A on one side and a CD on the other. I possibly have The Downward Spiral dualdisc as well... I can't remember. I don't have a surround setup so I've yet to actually try to listen to the surround mixes. :?

It's not a huge shame really... DSD is only really practical for digital mastering of analogue recordings. Going from a digital PCM recording to DSD pretty much obviates any advantage DSD may (or may not) have. And recording in DSD is impractical because none of the mainstream sequencers or editors have support for it, and very few A/D converters do DSD anyway.

DVD-A hasn't seen much use, but it's compatible in any DVD player so if fidelity ever makes a comeback against the tyranny of MP3 it should take over for a little while, at least until there's a need for something even better. DVD-A supports various PCM sample rates, bitrates and surround options. You can also mix and match rates and channel counts between tracks on a DVD-A, which is nice.
Eoin

Postby peepingtom » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:51 pm

Eoin wrote:I have the With Teeth special edition 'dualdisc'. It's a DVD-A on one side and a CD on the other. I possibly have The Downward Spiral dualdisc as well... I can't remember. I don't have a surround setup so I've yet to actually try to listen to the surround mixes. :?

It's not a huge shame really... DSD is only really practical for digital mastering of analogue recordings. Going from a digital PCM recording to DSD pretty much obviates any advantage DSD may (or may not) have. And recording in DSD is impractical because none of the mainstream sequencers or editors have support for it, and very few A/D converters do DSD anyway.

DVD-A hasn't seen much use, but it's compatible in any DVD player so if fidelity ever makes a comeback against the tyranny of MP3 it should take over for a little while, at least until there's a need for something even better. DVD-A supports various PCM sample rates, bitrates and surround options. You can also mix and match rates and channel counts between tracks on a DVD-A, which is nice.

hmm might see if I can get that ... cheers for the explanation
peepingtom

Postby Nathalie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:15 pm

Flock. i'm at Natalie. I'll forever love this album, more than the others. was the first i bought. it's just an amazing piece, from beginning to end...2005. the year my life changed for the better. :)
Nathalie

PreviousNext

Return to The BellyBoard