I am currently listening to... *

Moderator: Eoin

Re: I am currently listening to... *

Postby Rocky » Sat May 08, 2010 12:45 am

Colm wrote:
shiv wrote:Cathy Davey-the nameless!

What's the verdict? I've been listening to songs from it on Cathy's myspace page this week and they sound impressive, if very different from Tales of Silversleeve. Little Red is insanely catchy!

Just got it there. On first listen it's very different. I think I'm really gonna like it though
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
Rocky

Postby shiv » Sat May 08, 2010 3:56 pm

i'm loving it!! theres so much detail............its different but its a progression. the nameless is my favourite right now
shiv

Postby Rocky » Wed May 12, 2010 11:33 pm

Our Little Secrets - Very good so far anyway. Back up vocals from Cathy and Lisa and Gavin Glass plays an instrument so it kind of comes well recommended already
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
Rocky

Postby Mully » Thu May 13, 2010 10:17 am

I'm going to start gearing up for Oxegen ... Any direction people want to point me in ?
[away from Oxegen, ha ha]

I'm pretty familar with the majority of the list so far, but further down the list, its get vague, names I know but haven't heard music by.

http://www.oxegen.ie/2009/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=58
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Rocky » Thu May 13, 2010 11:11 am

Mully wrote:I'm going to start gearing up for Oxegen ... Any direction people want to point me in ?
[away from Oxegen, ha ha]

I'm pretty familar with the majority of the list so far, but further down the list, its get vague, names I know but haven't heard music by.

http://www.oxegen.ie/2009/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=58

If I was going to be in the country for the summer I was definitely going to Oxegen. Thank *insert supreme being here* I won't be cos I have almost zero interest in that line up so far.
Rocky

Postby Mully » Thu May 13, 2010 12:04 pm

Rocky wrote:
If I was going to be in the country for the summer I was definitely going to Oxegen. Thank *insert supreme being here* I won't be cos I have almost zero interest in that line up so far.

Not helpful, Rocky.

I'll post this as a response. Enjoy your summer. :wink:

"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Rocky » Thu May 13, 2010 12:40 pm

Mully wrote:
Rocky wrote:

Not helpful, Rocky.

I'll post this as a response. Enjoy your summer. :wink:

O no, Mully is the volcano god. Must appease him.

Here you go, one man who will be at Oxegen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yvEYKRF5IA
Rocky

Postby Mully » Thu May 13, 2010 3:46 pm

Rocky wrote:

O no, Mully is the volcano god. Must appease him.

sounds naughty. I'll get the videocamera, for posterity.
Mully

Postby Nathalie » Thu May 13, 2010 8:45 pm

went on a shopping spree for a change. Have a few to listen to...

Madonna - Sticky & Sweet Tour (cd AND dvd :D)
Brad Mehldau - Highway Rider
Cathy Davey - The Nameless (going to gig for free. could at least buy the album)
She & Him - Volume two (don't know what to expect. high hopes tho)
Unkle - Where did the night fall
Broken Social Scene - Forgiveness Rock Record (mully, i'll never thank you enough for introducing me to those ones. the real good alternative to arcade fire... :P )

and in the oldies but goodies

currently listening to DJ Shadow - Endtroducing (although i think i already had it on mp3. ah well...)
DJ Shadow - The Outsider
The Roots - Rising down
Bill Evans - Everybody digs Bill Evans
The Django Reinhardt Anthology
The Essence of Fats Waller

Out of all this, if you have to listen to only one song, listen to some jazz manouche...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpmOTGun ... re=related
And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.
Nathalie

Postby lilac*mess » Sun May 16, 2010 7:16 pm

Caterpillar Sarabande. I love the name, but I don't know what a sarabande is, so somehow my mind has replaced it with the nearest word in my lexicon and I get an image of a cummerbund made of caterpillars. Or a caterpillar wearing a cummerbund, I can't decide which is better.
remember your raincoat
lilac*mess

Postby Mully » Tue May 18, 2010 1:40 pm

Picked up some newbies this week from the US of A.

Midlake, Band of Horses & The National ... I also see Wintersleep have a new album also. I'll store you on my to-do list.

Also, yet to listen to Camera Obscura. Going to see them in Cork next month, so grabbed 2 albums of theirs.
Mully

Postby Niftium » Tue May 18, 2010 11:27 pm

Mully wrote:Picked up some newbies this week from the US of A.

Midlake, Band of Horses & The National ... I also see Wintersleep have a new album also. I'll store you on my to-do list.

Also, yet to listen to Camera Obscura. Going to see them in Cork next month, so grabbed 2 albums of theirs.

Midlake: Yes
BoH: No
The National: Meh
CO: No

I'll be curious to see how we compare.
Niftium

Postby Mully » Wed May 19, 2010 9:00 am

Niftium wrote:

Are they comments on the albums, or the bands generally ?
Mully

Postby Niftium » Thu May 20, 2010 3:14 am

Mully wrote:
Niftium wrote:

Are they comments on the albums, or the bands generally ?

Generally, I guess. Van Occupanther can't be topped, so naturally the new one seems a bit of a let-down. Still good though. BoH just makes me gag. Any of The National's stuff is good in EP-length chunks; after that, his voice makes my pulse slow down. CO continues to do nothing for me, despite multiple recommendations.
Niftium

Postby Mully » Thu May 20, 2010 8:12 am

Niftium wrote:
Generally, I guess. Van Occupanther can't be topped, so naturally the new one seems a bit of a let-down. Still good though. BoH just makes me gag. Any of The National's stuff is good in EP-length chunks; after that, his voice makes my pulse slow down. CO continues to do nothing for me, despite multiple recommendations.

Agreed on Van Occupanther. New one sounds for UK 60s Folk.
BoH seem to be failing to live up to early promise. Major Label debut I suppose.
I adore The National
C.O. I haven't heard, but their reputation preceeds them, similar to yourself.

I hopped on C.O. as I'll be seeing them next month, so want to hear a few tunes beforehand.
Mully

PreviousNext

Return to The BellyBoard