It's gonna be ok..

Moderator: Eoin

Re: It's gonna be ok..

Postby Nathalie » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:34 am

So you know Rocky, there's no point of coming home. Stay where you are. There's no work here. And no money to pay your dole.

If he didn't write to you at all over the weekend, but surely he will next week, it's gonna be ok... :|
And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.
Nathalie

Postby Mr Benn » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:04 pm

Rocky wrote:Work wise not very well. I've applied for Home Depot and Target at this stage even though I'm not sure how legal it would be for me to work there but I have an SSN so it should be fine I think. That is of course if any of them get back to me. I think I'll be calling the boys in Southie to see if they have any work on the buildings though.

I'm living in Wakefield which is way north, even further up than where the orange line ends but it's only about an hour commute to Downtown Crossing so it's not bad really. Where in Texas are you going to be?

I know Wakefield alright, had some friends living there for a short while, and had a lot of friends living at Oak Grove around the same time. A bitch to get out to though (especially since I was in Brookline at the time).

Staying in the west village in Dallas for the first 6 weeks or so (corporate accommodation) at this place: http://www.mqwestvillage.com/. Should give me plenty of time to find somewhere nice to live. Need to pick up a car too, you have to drive everywhere in Texas.
"Your skin is something that I stir into my tea"
Joanna Newsom

Mr Benn

Postby Rocky » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:20 pm

Oh you'd be a good man to ask. How do I go about getting a driving license over here? I'm driving at the moment on my Irish one which is legal for the year but it'd be nice to get an American one if it wasn't too much hassle. Do I have to go through the whole learners permit thing and do the test or is there an easier way? Place you're staying looks pretty sweet by the way.
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
Rocky

Postby Mr Benn » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:39 am

Yeah the whole Irish license being ok for a year is something of a gray area. Once you're a legal resident, you're supposed to have a Massachusetts license and there isn't any grace period. But if you're not a resident, you can drive on your Irish one for a year. How you could be in MA for a year without being a resident is beyond me.

Getting a license is pretty easy. You do the learner's permit test... there's a lot of questions about specific fines etc, but once you've read the handbook the night before should be ok. I was asked some daft questions... what percentage of highway deaths are caused by alcohol (40%), and what the maximum penalty was for a junior operator driving between the hours of 12 and 5am or something like that (I was 23 taking the test, a junior operator is between 16 and 18, so was a pretty dumb question to be asked). Once you've done that, you can do the actual driving test. You need a sponsor, i.e. someone with a MA license for over a year... a lot of people did it with a driving school, which costs a good bit. I did it in a mates car. Test was a walk in the park compared to the Irish one, lasted all of 4 minutes. Drive around the block, turn left, turn right, 3 point turn, parallel park, hand signals... that was about it.
Joanna Newsom

Mr Benn

Postby Nathalie » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:54 pm

What? Not a line on this poor Whitney?? You obviously haven't danced your socks off on this song, that summer 1988... :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH3giaIzONA
Nathalie

Postby Rocky » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:20 pm

I finally got a job and got fully signed off on it without any trouble thankfully. It's only Home Depot but it's a job, it's very close to the house so no commute, and I'm very excited about it.... it's gonna be ok :D
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
Rocky

Postby Mr Benn » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:09 am

Rocky wrote:I finally got a job and got fully signed off on it without any trouble thankfully. It's only Home Depot but it's a job, it's very close to the house so no commute, and I'm very excited about it.... it's gonna be ok :D

Congrats! How does that work with the J visa, I thought it had to be related to your degree?
Joanna Newsom

Mr Benn

Postby Eoin » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:24 am

If Ardmore Studios is probably shutting down, it's gonna be okay. :?
Eoin

Postby Rocky » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Mr Benn wrote:
Rocky wrote:I finally got a job and got fully signed off on it without any trouble thankfully. It's only Home Depot but it's a job, it's very close to the house so no commute, and I'm very excited about it.... it's gonna be ok :D

Congrats! How does that work with the J visa, I thought it had to be related to your degree?

I don't really know. I think it's the crowd that runs the visa program that puts all these stipulations on it because all I needed was my visa and my DS 2019 and I was golden. Whereas I tried to set myself up a fake internship and I spent a month doing paperwork and bending to their every demand until they wanted a workplace visit so then I told them that they had given the internship to someone else because it was taking so long. The kicker was that my an internship needs to be 32 hours a week and have to have all sorts of structures and shit. Not to mention the company needed employee compensation even though my internship was supposed to be unpaid. I was pretty much at the end of my tether when all that happened but thankfully this came along.

How's Texas?
Rocky

Postby Mully » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:15 pm

Nathalie wrote:What? Not a line on this poor Whitney?? You obviously haven't danced your socks off on this song, that summer 1988... :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH3giaIzONA

I think Poor Whitney did enough lines in her time.
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Eoin » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:34 pm

Mully wrote:I think Poor Whitney did enough lines in her time.

Boom. :)

(*drumroll*)
Eoin

Postby Rocky » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:01 pm

Mully wrote:I think Poor Whitney did enough lines in her time.

I tried to retweet that.... :?
Rocky

Postby Nathalie » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:16 pm

:lol: :lol:

Thanks Mully for the laugh. I needed that tonight.
Nathalie

Postby Eoin » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:14 am

Rocky wrote:I tried to retweet that.... :?

Inspired by this comment, I found and installed a PhpBB mod to add a send-to-twitter button for forum topics... but for some reason it didn't work. I'll have to try it again later in the week.
Eoin

Postby Rocky » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:31 am

Eoin wrote:Inspired by this comment, I found and installed a PhpBB mod to add a send-to-twitter button for forum topics... but for some reason it didn't work. I'll have to try it again later in the week.

I tried to "like" that because I was too lazy to comment back. I have social networking problems. Good work though, I like your initiative. The Bellyboard might be making a comeback
Rocky

PreviousNext

Return to The BellyBoard