It's gonna be ok..

Moderator: Eoin

Postby Belle » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:19 pm

If you under or over-use full-stops, it's gonna be okay :)
Belle

Postby Dec » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:19 pm

Belle wrote:If you under or over-use full-stops, it's gonna be okay :)

N.o.i.t.w.o.n.t.!. :shock:
Dec

Postby Belle » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:21 pm

yesitwill
Belle

Postby sharyn » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:29 pm

:lol: God an english master in our midst, no ure actually right!, thanks for the guidance, with the pronounciation - or whatever. i do get a little bit carried away with the ould full stop, and i ave an annoying habit of using phone text - its just it saves my typing fingers less time. i'll try t stick t the guidelines with the full stops - not making any promises though!. there u go 1 FULL STOP.
sharyn

Postby Belle » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:32 pm

sharyn wrote::lol: God an english master in our midst, no ure actually right!, thanks for the guidance, with the pronounciation

Punctuation

Quick! Change it, don't unleash the beast

:lol:
Belle

Postby Eoin » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:45 pm

English mastery has nothing to do with it. For one thing, you give the impression that you're not bothered to put the time in to making your posts easily readable. Secondly, try and bear in mind that not everyone on the forum has native English. But no one is saying you can't post anyway you damn well want, Dec was just offering a friendly suggestion.

I'll be honest, Sharyn, I have no idea what you just said anyway. I'm sure I could take the time to read it slowly and work it out... but why would I bother? :P
Eoin

Postby Cathrin_S » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:06 pm

Um, fellas. You're wrong to be picking on Sharyn. She's not using full stops, she's using ellipsis.

...ellipsis...

Pinter is a big fan of the ellipsis, or 'pregnant pause' but he was interviewed recently on BBC radio saying something about how it's being over-used in literature and his comments made the front page of the Sunday Times. Slow news day, etc.

Anyway, good enough for Pinter, good enough for the Belly Board...
Cathrin_S

Postby Nathalie » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:16 pm

God an english master in our midst, no ure actually right!, thanks for the guidance, with the pronounciation - or whatever. i do get a little bit carried away with the ould full stop, and i ave an annoying habit of using phone text - its just it saves my typing fingers less time. i'll try t stick t the guidelines with the full stops - not making any promises though!. there u go 1 FULL STOP.

God an English master in our midst! No, you are actually right! Thanks for the guidance, with the pronounciation - or whatever. I do get a little bit carried away with the ould full stop, and I have an annoying habit of using phone sex - it's just it saves my typing fingers more time. I'll try to stick to the guidelines with the full stops - not making any promises thought! There you go, one full stop.

compare the two texts and you tell me if you only see an ellipsis difference...
Nathalie

Postby Belle » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:30 pm

Phone sex :lol:
Belle

Postby lilac*mess » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:33 pm

Everyone makes mistakes and no one's grammar is perfect, so it's not very nice or fair for people to get persnickety about it. However, a problem arises when you can't understand what the person is trying to say, which is true of a fair few users. It's pretty annoying when you have to try and decipher some sort of code, and it's counterproductive 'cos people just won't read your posts.
lilac*mess

Postby lilac*mess » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:33 pm

Belle wrote:Phone sex :lol:

:shock: You what?

Edit: Oh, see it now :lol:
lilac*mess

Postby Nathalie » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:36 pm

Belle wrote:Phone sex :lol:

hey, i'm a funny girl! still laughing about it here. :lol:
Nathalie

Postby Eoin » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:39 pm

Cathrin_S wrote:Um, fellas. You're wrong to be picking on Sharyn.

No one's picking on anyone, we were just making an observation.

lilac*mess wrote:Everyone makes mistakes and no one's grammar is perfect, so it's not very nice or fair for people to get persnickety about it. However, a problem arises when you can't understand what the person is trying to say, which is true of a fair few users. It's pretty annoying when you have to try and decipher some sort of code, and it's counterproductive 'cos people just won't read your posts.

+1
Eoin

Postby Dec » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:55 pm

lilac*mess wrote:Everyone makes mistakes and no one's grammar is perfect, so it's not very nice or fair for people to get persnickety about it. However, a problem arises when you can't understand what the person is trying to say, which is true of a fair few users. It's pretty annoying when you have to try and decipher some sort of code, and it's counterproductive 'cos people just won't read your posts.

Bingo! I make mistakes, but I don't want make reading my messages hard work either.
Dec

Postby Eoin » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:56 pm

Dec wrote:Bingo! I make mistakes, but I don't want make reading my messages hard work either.

You don't "want make"? Stop talking gibberish, you crazy fool! :wink:
Eoin

PreviousNext

Return to The BellyBoard