Cinema Paradiso

Moderator: Eoin

Re: Cinema Paradiso

Postby pigography » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:21 pm

SQUIRREL! :D

I've just started watching The Thick Of It; only seen the first 3 episodes as it's not available in Canada and I have to wait until someone uploads them online. I love Malcolm's character. Anyone else watching it?
"Cos every moment is a Bell X1 moment" - Rocky
Pigography = Sylvia
pigography

Postby Nathalie » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:17 pm

Never heard of it Pigo. Watching The Big Love, US series on a polygamist in Utah. Pretty good. And cringing. i wouldn't be able to handle so many women within my family...

Mr Benn, Up is very well made but it's just not my thing. I wanted to see Thirst. A priest turning vampire, that's awesome... :wink:
And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.
Nathalie

Postby Mully » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:01 am

I saw Fantastic Mr Fox yesterday. Its not so fantastic.
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Rocky » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:20 am

Mully wrote:I saw Fantastic Mr Fox yesterday. Its not so fantastic.

That doesn't surprise me. All I've seen is the trailers and straight away it's not loveable
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
Rocky

Postby Nathalie » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:52 am

there are way too many animations these days. great technical achievement but they indeed should put more work on the story itself. half of them are not very good.

now, like every year, the french film festival is back...

From romantic melodramas to hip-hop animation, prison drama to slapstick comedies, intimate documentaries to drooling hordes of zombies, you’ll have plenty to choose from. We kick off the Festival with the latest film from Jean-Pierre Jeunet (Delicatessen, Amélie), MICMACS, an absolutely wonderful comedy-satire surely destined to be one of the biggest French films of 2010, before closing on the 29th of November with Around a Small Mountain, the latest film from legend of the French New Wave, Jacques Rivette – an appropriate way to end things in this, the 50th anniversary of the movement.

http://www.irishfilm.ie/cinema/season1_ ... 60&SID=185

Don't ask me. i don't know anything about the movies shown, bar Séraphine which i'll try to go and see. In the old ones, they are showing Jacques Tati's movies. they're excellent and there's barely no talking. Here's an extract of Mon Oncle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE9t98Gox60
Nathalie

Postby Mully » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:57 am

Nathalie wrote:there are way too many animations these days. great technical achievement but they indeed should put more work on the story itself. half of them are not very good.

Well, most are aimed at children, with the annoying 'wink wink' jokes for the adults. What you said above can be aimed at childrens films in general, very few good films out there.

Saw 'An Education' yesterday. I'd reccommend it.

Screenplay by Nick Hornby ... 60s teenager is Oxford-bound until her head is turned by an older man who cultures the bejaysus out of her. Quite funny.
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Dreeke » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:47 pm

Nathalie wrote:there are way too many animations these days. great technical achievement but they indeed should put more work on the story itself. half of them are not very good.

now, like every year, the french film festival is back...

From romantic melodramas to hip-hop animation, prison drama to slapstick comedies, intimate documentaries to drooling hordes of zombies, you’ll have plenty to choose from. We kick off the Festival with the latest film from Jean-Pierre Jeunet (Delicatessen, Amélie), MICMACS, an absolutely wonderful comedy-satire surely destined to be one of the biggest French films of 2010, before closing on the 29th of November with Around a Small Mountain, the latest film from legend of the French New Wave, Jacques Rivette – an appropriate way to end things in this, the 50th anniversary of the movement.

http://www.irishfilm.ie/cinema/season1_ ... 60&SID=185

Don't ask me. i don't know anything about the movies shown, bar Séraphine which i'll try to go and see. In the old ones, they are showing Jacques Tati's movies. they're excellent and there's barely no talking. Here's an extract of Mon Oncle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE9t98Gox60

I recently saw Jeunet's MicMacs. Great fun. Recommended!!!
Dreeke

Postby Nathalie » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:56 pm

went to see Regrets, with Yvan Attal and Valeria Bruni Tedeschi (Carla's sister!). typically french. no action. just about relationships, couples, feelings and impossible love affairs. average enough, probably because i don't believe anymore in passionate stories. :|
Nathalie

Postby Mully » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:37 pm

I had a good film day yesterday ... Went to see 'Bunny & The Bull'.
Very much like a Michel Gondry film, nicely visual & quite funny.

Also watched Amelie for the first time since the cinema, ... So many lovely little moments in that film, from start to finish, like falling in love 47 times in 2hrs.
Mully

Postby Nathalie » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:27 pm

just watched The Lives of Pippa Lee with Robin (ex Penn) Wright. She's really turned into a great actress and i wouldn't be surprised if she gets an oscar some day. really enjoyed the story, supported by some cast like Wynona Ryder, Julianne Moore, Monica Belluci and Keanu Reeve (say what you want, he's a great actor!). for the little plus, Brad Pitt produced it. :mrgreen:
Nathalie

Postby pigography » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:59 am

I'm going to see Avatar in 3D tomorrow. Anyone seen it? ... And think it was good? If not, I'll soon find out. :lol:
Pigography = Sylvia
pigography

Postby Mully » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:42 pm

pigography wrote:I'm going to see Avatar in 3D tomorrow. Anyone seen it? ... And think it was good? If not, I'll soon find out. :lol:

Seems to be a marmite film (people either love or hate, very little middle ground) .. I've seen it. We'll discuss after you have
Mully

Postby Eoin » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:30 pm

I thought it was good, but I wouldn't say I love it by any stretch. :P It's visually entertaining, and worth watching on that basis alone.
Eoin

Postby pigography » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:52 am

I loved it for its technology but the storyline was a bit of a let-down. One pet peeve was the inconsistency in characters, ex: when the guy/avatar mated with chief's daughter, there shouldn't be any kissing! - Their tails should've been doing that twirly-connecting-thingy! But having said that, I didn't hate the story. I absolutely loved the technology; I've been reading about the stereoscopic camera they built for it and the Occula visual effects software they had to develop to edit it. FAN-FREAKIN-TASTIC. It's the stereoscopic camera that gives both background and foreground such depth, compared to animated 3D films which generally give you a flat background and things popping out at you. Coraline wasn't too bad in 3D but I wasn't impressed with Up (I just liked the dog).
Pigography = Sylvia
pigography

Postby pigography » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:00 am

Oh! Just remembered seeing the preview for Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland in 3D - I wonder how he shot his film in comparison to Avatar?
Pigography = Sylvia
pigography

PreviousNext

Return to The BellyBoard