News/Reviews

Moderator: Eoin

Re: News/Reviews

Postby pigography » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:51 pm

There are rarely any good bands -correction- any sane bands who tour during January/February here so that's when I leg it to somewhere warm. February = Antigua. :D
"Cos every moment is a Bell X1 moment" - Rocky
Pigography = Sylvia
pigography

Postby Redgrelda » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:07 pm

edithgonne wrote: That sounds just like Minneapolis, actually anywhere in the Midwest. Frozen nose hairs are a right of passage in our winters.

I can attest to that. I live in Minneapolis / St. Paul. And I went to Ireland for Chrsitmas and New Years to get away to someplace warm(er). Everyone thought that I was nuts!
Redgrelda

Postby Aoife » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:31 pm

pigography wrote:There are rarely any good bands -correction- any sane bands who tour during January/February here so that's when I leg it to somewhere warm. February = Antigua. :D

So Antigua's the place to be for good music in February? ;p

Redgrelda wrote:I can attest to that. I live in Minneapolis / St. Paul.

St. Paul always reminds me of Garrison Keillor and PHC :)
Aoife

Postby Redgrelda » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:37 pm

Aoife wrote: St. Paul always reminds me of Garrison Keillor and PHC :)

I have actually never heard the radio show A Prairie Home Companion. Or seen the movie. I'm a bad Minnesotan... :?
Redgrelda

Postby pigography » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:53 pm

Redgrelda wrote:I went to Ireland for Chrsitmas and New Years to get away to someplace warm(er). Everyone thought that I was nuts!

I'm told that they don't really get any snow in Ireland during Christmas. Is this true?
At the tail end of last February, Toronto got walloped with a wee blizzard - oh, about 6 feet of snow. I think Minnesota got walloped as well (was the told the storm started in Texas so it wasn't Canada's fault - honest).

Aoife wrote:So Antigua's the place to be for good music in February? ;p

Absolutely!
If you don't believe me, come with. :lol:
Honestly though, I don't know. It'll be my first time there.
Pigography = Sylvia
pigography

Postby Redgrelda » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:32 pm

There actually was snow for a few hours where I was for Christmas / New Years (Killybegs, in the northwest corner) I think it was on the 5th of January, and there was enough snow to last about 4 hours. We were even able to have a snowball fight. I was supposed to leave on the 7th, so I prayed and prayed for the snow to stick so I could stay, but no luck it was green again in no time. But in general is does not snow there, and it was a complete anomoly.

As for that storm back in February that ran from Texas north, I think it missed Minnesota for the most part. But winter is all a big white blur to me. Just snow. I go inside in November and come back out in March. Year after year I wonder why I continue living here. ..
Redgrelda

Postby edithgonne » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:44 pm

Redgrelda wrote:
Aoife wrote: St. Paul always reminds me of Garrison Keillor and PHC :)

I have actually never heard the radio show A Prairie Home Companion. Or seen the movie. I'm a bad Minnesotan... :?

I've never seen or heard it either. I'm glad I'm not the only Minnesotan who hasn't heard it.
There Must and Shall Be Aspirin!
edithgonne

Postby Nathalie » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:57 pm

Redgrelda wrote:There actually was snow for a few hours where I was for Christmas / New Years (Killybegs, in the northwest corner) I think it was on the 5th of January, and there was enough snow to last about 4 hours. We were even able to have a snowball fight. I was supposed to leave on the 7th, so I prayed and prayed for the snow to stick so I could stay, but no luck it was green again in no time. But in general is does not snow there, and it was a complete anomoly.

Not completely true. Indeed, in the last good few years, there's been no snow. Or barely nothing. I can recall maybe 5 times when it snowed in Dublin, in the 14 years i've been here. That said:
1- it's a good think it's not snowing more. the country isn't prepared for it. Back at xmas 95, it froze and got icy one night here and literally, the entire city froze. No trucks to salt the streets, no more taxi driving, noone out or out in a walkable distance from home. dublin on a stand still on a saturday night. very strange feeling...
2- i believe that back in the 80s, winters were rougher. i've been told about one winter in particular, where schools were closed and the army had been called in to help clear the place.

So anomaly might not be the word. but let's say snow is certainly enjoyed here anytime it dares falling...
And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.
Nathalie

Postby Redgrelda » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:07 pm

I remember my fiancee and his parents talking about how bad that snow / ice storm was back in 95, and how everything came to a grinding hault. In a way, it would be nice to live somewhere that the winters were warmer and it didn't snow so much, so you could appreciate it more when it did. I think I might eventually miss the snow. With that said. I believe I've jinxed the entirety of the American midwest, and we will have snow up to our roofs this winter. :shock:
Redgrelda

Postby Aoife » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:49 pm

And you call yourself a Minnesotan, Redgrelda ;p
I came across it purely by accident. Was flicking through stations one day, heard Garrison telling one of his Wobegone stories, and got hooked. An Irish station called Anna Livia bought the series from NPR. Since then they've had it on the BBC etc. Garrison's got such a great voice for radio :)

Yeah, Dublin is not the place to find snow. A little falls, but it melts just as fast. Never gets cold enough for it to stick over this side of the country, what with the cars and it being heavily-populated, and global warming. Donegal would be different because it'd be more sparsely populated. The last time I remember snow heavy enough to stop me getting to school was when I was about 10 maybe. And that's 22 years ago.
I don't think I've ever seen 6 feet of snow :o Can't imagine what it's like to be that incapacitated (and worse, if the jinx works Redgrelda! :D) by it. "Fargo" is kinda my reference point. Though I assume murder and heavy snow don't always go together... :lol:

Yeah, Nat - Dublin gets incapacitated by a few drops of rain, so a few snowflakes are always going to cause a crisis : / Us natives are kinda pathetic... :roll:
Aoife

Postby pigography » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:39 am

Aoife wrote:Yeah, Dublin is not the place to find snow. A little falls, but it melts just as fast. Never gets cold enough for it to stick over this side of the country, what with the cars and it being heavily-populated, and global warming.

Toronto usually misses most of the snow storms, and when we do get snow, it's usually just a foot or two (enough to have a decent snowball fight or create elaborate Calvin & Hobbes-like snowmen dioramas. :D

But last February was incredible! It took me hours to shovel to get OUT of the house and by the time I reached the end of my drive, I had to shovel my way BACK to get into my house again. Sheesh.

Toronto called in the army ONCE. Never again. Nine years ago, we got walloped with an unexpected blizzard (4 feet of snow). The city's snow plows weren't prepared, none of the streets were cleared, we were incapacitated - so our mayor called in the army to help dig us out - Toronto was ridiculed by other Canadian cities because we couldn't handle a few snowflakes. Even though we got two feet more snow than in 1999, we'll be damned before we ever call in the army again. We're so sensitive. :roll:
Pigography = Sylvia
pigography

Postby pigography » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:34 am

Oh and apparently the boys are hard at work. They were spotted yesterday here. :D
Pigography = Sylvia
pigography

Postby Aoife » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:22 pm

pigography wrote:enough to have a decent snowball fight or create elaborate Calvin & Hobbes-like snowmen dioramas. :D

Hehe. I love those dioramas. :) Calvin/Bill Watterson's imagination is brilliant.

pigography wrote:But last February was incredible! It took me hours to shovel to get OUT of the house and by the time I reached the end of my drive, I had to shovel my way BACK to get into my house again. Sheesh.

See, there's no fun in that. Just a lot of work. What I want is just enough snow to keep me from getting to work, but not enough to keep me trapped in the house :lol:

pigography wrote:Toronto was ridiculed by other Canadian cities because we couldn't handle a few snowflakes. Even though we got two feet more snow than in 1999, we'll be damned before we ever call in the army again. We're so sensitive. :roll:
So, Dublin's not unique after all. Somehow makes me feel a bit better, even though the fact that we can still grind to a halt so easily annoys the hell out of me.
Aoife

Postby pigography » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:03 am

I found an old KCRW studio performance from when they were in LA - June 23rd, 2005!
They played Snakes, Next To You, Alphabet Soup, had a wee chat, Eve, Flame, Reacharound and I'll See Your Heart. 41:18 of bliss :D

Paul plays the sweetcorn shaker? I thought Brian did... well he did when they played Toronto.

"Cute hoors = a man who has abused his position, not an attractive prostitute"
Ahhhhh. Couldn't find hoors in the dictionary before; now it makes sense.

Dom dedicated I'll See Your Heart to Snoopy, who I take was/is their roadie. Does anyone know if Snoopy still tours with them?
Pigography = Sylvia
pigography

Postby pigography » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:04 am

Here's one in the NME.

And there was a wee blurb from State Magazine, posted Saturday July 12th:
"Over in the Green Room tent, BELLX1 take to the stage for their first gig on home turf in around a year. The familiar Flock backdrop is draped over the back of the stage, but on the evidence of tonight’s show, it might not be too long before the Bellies’ live home is festooned with a whole new wallpaper. Sandwiched in between some of the old favourites were two brand new songs, ‘How Your Heart Is Wired’ and ‘The Great Defector’: the first a slow-burning slice of melancholy, dripping with gorgeous electronica, the latter a potential single-in-waiting, all insistent synths and driving rhythms. On the evidence of these two, their fourth opus could take Team Belly in some new, interesting directions. Other highlights included the gorgeous opener, ‘Bad Skin Day’, which segued seamlessly into Don Henley’s ‘Boys Of Summer’, the rambunctious ‘Flame’ and the mass singalongs of ‘Rocky Took A Lover’ and ‘I’ll See Your Heart’, which closed the first night @ the Green Room with sloppy smiles and arms in the air."

Hurrah for sloppy smiles!
Pigography = Sylvia
pigography

PreviousNext

Return to The BellyBoard