bellybook worms

Moderator: Eoin

bellybook worms

Postby Nathalie » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:46 pm

what is everybody reading these days? an old topic but constantly changing...

Currently finishing Memoirs of a Dutiful Daughter by Simone de Beauvoir. Her childhood years were a bit boring to read. Now she's at the Sorbonne, meeting JP Sartre and the others, and it's already passing over my head. i'm not very well read when it comes to philosophy. Still, it's very interesting to read about all those young post-war philosophers/politicians/writers. Especially through her eyes.
Had also started Paris Bohème, 1830-1930 by Jerrold Seigel, a cultural historical essay. On pause. have to finish the first one and then concentrate on that one. it's been a while since i've read heavier literary works. Nevermind when you try to read them at 2 am when finally in bed... :roll:
And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.
Nathalie

Re: bellybook worms

Postby eoinkx1 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:54 pm

Books are like movies for me, I haven't got much interest in any aspect but the sports. I only read autobiographies (I've read Keano's about ten times now I think). I'm reading Trevor Brennan's for a second time now.

It's odd because up until secondary school, I probably read 50-100 pages of a book, during 3 hours every night in bed. I read all kinds of everything. I was a Harry Potter addict. I got the latest one, and haven't read it at all!
eoinkx1

Postby Rocky » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:58 pm

Just finished Tom Humphries book Laptop Dancing and the Nanny Goat Mambo. Very well written by a very good writer.

Now I'm reading No Country For Old Men just for the sake of it
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
Rocky

Postby timerunning » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:54 am

I'm currently reading Nocturnes by John Connolly. The clown story in this book is really fucking spooky, but overall I find the book enjoyable.

The last book I read was Only Revolutions by Mark Z. Danielewski. If anyone else has read that, we should form a support group. That was...an experience.
timerunning

Postby Mully » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:42 am

Superman: Red Son. Its a graphic novel.

The story of the All-American Hero, reimagined as a Communist hero as he crashlanded in the Ukraine, not Smallville.
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Nathalie » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:38 am

i like when a writer starts from an established story and changed one or two elements to see how it changes everything.
Philip Roth did that with The plot against America. It is an alternate history in which Franklin Delano Roosevelt is defeated in the presidential election of 1940 by Charles Lindbergh. Based on the real anti-semite speeches by Lindbergh, Roth described America under extreme-right policies. great book. scarry though.
Nathalie

Postby joiyua » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:09 am

I'm reading a book called Underdog, by Torbjörn Flygt. It's about a boy who's growing up in the city where I live. Quite interesting :)
joiyua

Postby Mully » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:02 am

Nathalie wrote:i like when a writer starts from an established story and changed one or two elements to see how it changes everything.
Philip Roth did that with The plot against America. It is an alternate history in which Franklin Delano Roosevelt is defeated in the presidential election of 1940 by Charles Lindbergh. Based on the real anti-semite speeches by Lindbergh, Roth described America under extreme-right policies. great book. scarry though.

I remember seeing 'Fatherland' a good few years ago ... Rutger Hauer film about the what if the Germans had won WW2.
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Nathalie » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:32 am

there's also a movie about what if the southern states had won the secession war and another one about what if the black americans were the ruling class in America. can't remember their title. and i don't think i've seen any entirely. great help, huh? :oops:
Nathalie

Postby Mully » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:46 am

Nathalie wrote: another one about what if the black americans were the ruling class in America. can't remember their title. and i don't think i've seen any entirely. great help, huh? :oops:

The Cosby Show ?
Mully

Postby Tony » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:05 pm

I'm reading The Reapers by John Connolly.
Haven't progressed very far though.
Much as I like his books, everything I've read since picking up Steven Erikson's Malazan series just seems dull. Looking forward to the next one later this year.
Superb stuff if you like your gritty fantasy novels.
He even surpasses George RR Martin.
Tony

Postby Mr Benn » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:22 pm

Tony wrote:He even surpasses George RR Martin.

Them's fightin' words!
"Your skin is something that I stir into my tea"
Joanna Newsom

Mr Benn

Postby eoinkx1 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:51 pm

Rocky wrote:Just finished Tom Humphries book Laptop Dancing and the Nanny Goat Mambo. Very well written by a very good writer.

+1 By far and away the best GAA journalist in Ireland, although I'm not quite convinced by his soccer efforts. Billy Keane is another personal favourite, but that's mostly for the novelty aspect.
Gerry Thornley is outstanding, it's between him and Humphries for my overall siding.
eoinkx1

Postby Tony » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:26 pm

Mr Benn wrote:
Tony wrote:He even surpasses George RR Martin.

Them's fightin' words!

After the first book, you'll think he's up there with Martin, but different.
By the third book, you'll start to see the scope of what he's doing, and how well written and planned out it is.
By the last book, you'll have re-entry issues when going to read anything else.

I threw one of the books on the floor I got so annoyed at what happened to one of the characters in the space of a paragraph, completely out of the blue. You thought Ned Stark not getting saved was a shock, or the Red Wedding? Seriously dude, you owe it to yourself to read these books.
Tony

Postby pigography » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:36 am

Problem is, when I read I like to read non-stop until I've finished the book. I started and stopped my present book at least five times now: Life Of Pi by Yann Martel. Mainly because I knew JP Jeunet had bought the rights to direct it... but apparently I don't have to rush to read it anymore as the film's been shelved. The studio (Fox) wouldn't approve the budget - even though pre-production & storyboards were completed and it was all ready to go. Hollywood's a bastard.
(Jeunet's now working on another project called Micmacs à tire-larigot)
"Cos every moment is a Bell X1 moment" - Rocky
Pigography = Sylvia
pigography

Next

Return to The BellyBoard