bellybook worms

Moderator: Eoin

Re: bellybook worms

Postby bibliophile » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:39 am

Nathalie wrote:mademoiselle, ^^, i'm enjoying reading your book related ramblings. it sounds to me like you have a lot of interesting things to say on the matter, so express yourself freely!

Thank you! I just didn't want to seem as though I was hijacking the thread!

I am currently reading several things, but mostly biding time until I can get Nick Hornby's Juliet, Naked. I love him.
bibliophile

Postby Mully » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:22 am

bibliophile wrote:
Nathalie wrote:mademoiselle, ^^, i'm enjoying reading your book related ramblings. it sounds to me like you have a lot of interesting things to say on the matter, so express yourself freely!

Thank you! I just didn't want to seem as though I was hijacking the thread!

With a moniker like Bibliophile, we'd be offended if you didn't hijack the thread !
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Nathalie » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:36 pm

I've just put my hands on a little book coming from my grand-dad. It's a French phrase book published in 1943 by the American gvt, that was given to GIs sent to France. Lucky them.
it's quite interesting/funny to see the sentences and words chosen that they thought they would need. It's 125 pages long but on page 16, one can already read sentences like "Draw a picture of it", "Tell the truth", "You will not be hurt" or "You will be rewarded". :?

Captain Noonan, if you ever need to say in French "How is the surface on the runway", just say "kel ay lay-TA duh la PEEST"? (Quel est l'état de la piste). handy... :wink:
And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.
Nathalie

Postby Rocky » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:12 am

Bought a scatter of books on Ireland and Northern Ireland and the history of both. I know a good bit about them but I want to know it all. Don't know when I'll get a chance to read them though. The studying starts here like
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
Rocky

Postby Nathalie » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:02 pm

Rocky wrote:I know a good bit about them but I want to know it all.

Good luck to know it all. They still don't know who shot Michael Collins or who really was the commander in chief of the IRA! Gerry or Martin?

have bought a few over the years myself and haven't read them either. read too many at the time of my studies that i had to let the northern "troubles" and my brain a rest.
Nathalie

Postby Rocky » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:35 pm

Nathalie wrote:
Rocky wrote:I know a good bit about them but I want to know it all.

Good luck to know it all. They still don't know who shot Michael Collins or who really was the commander in chief of the IRA! Gerry or Martin?

have bought a few over the years myself and haven't read them either. read too many at the time of my studies that i had to let the northern "troubles" and my brain a rest.

It was all Gerry. Half way through A Brief History of the IRA tells me all that. I just wish I could finish the effing thing
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
Rocky

Postby Nathalie » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:54 pm

if they say it then, it must be true! :wink:
and hang there. if you're tired reading a brief history, prepare yourself for books like IRA jailbreakers (1918-1921), The Dirty War, Ten men dead, Killing rage. Appealing titles, don't you think?
Nathalie

Postby Nathalie » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:31 pm

Started Save me the waltz by Zelda Fitzgerald. not sure what to expect other than something wild and crazy. after watching 2 nutty movies this weekend (Eternal sunshine of a spotless mind and Synecdoche New York), i'm wondering if there isn't a trend in my choices... a rather psychologically disturbed one though... :?
Nathalie

Postby lilac*mess » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:19 pm

Nathalie wrote:Started Save me the waltz by Zelda Fitzgerald. not sure what to expect other than something wild and crazy. after watching 2 nutty movies this weekend (Eternal sunshine of a spotless mind and Synecdoche New York), i'm wondering if there isn't a trend in my choices... a rather psychologically disturbed one though... :?

Must be something in the water; I'm reading The Wind In The Willows, which is also surprisingly mental. Rats and moles living together, wearing pants and riding in sailboats, and a toad driving a car... and it's not like it's some sort of modified 'toad-car', it's a normal human car. I love the writing style of the early 1900s though, it's so colourful, and polysyllabic.
remember your raincoat
lilac*mess

Postby Rocky » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:18 pm

lilac*mess wrote:
Nathalie wrote:Started Save me the waltz by Zelda Fitzgerald. not sure what to expect other than something wild and crazy. after watching 2 nutty movies this weekend (Eternal sunshine of a spotless mind and Synecdoche New York), i'm wondering if there isn't a trend in my choices... a rather psychologically disturbed one though... :?

Must be something in the water; I'm reading The Wind In The Willows, which is also surprisingly mental. Rats and moles living together, wearing pants and riding in sailboats, and a toad driving a car... and it's not like it's some sort of modified 'toad-car', it's a normal human car. I love the writing style of the early 1900s though, it's so colourful, and polysyllabic.

Had a question on The Wind in the Willows in a table quiz last night and hadn't a clue of it. I say that as if we were close to winning and had I read that book we might have. We weren't
Rocky

Postby lilac*mess » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:00 pm

Ah gutted. You should've text me :P
remember your raincoat
lilac*mess

Postby Rocky » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:38 pm

I can think of at least three things wrong with that. No scratch that, four :D
Rocky

Postby lilac*mess » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:14 pm

:D four? Apart from you not having my number, I can't think of any.
remember your raincoat
lilac*mess

Postby Rocky » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:18 pm

That's one. 2 is that I didn't know you were reading Wind in the Willows at the time. I only saw it today. 3 is that it would be cheating (and us Irish are very against cheating of late) and 4, I can't imagine me saying "Hey Lilac, it's Rocky, don't suppose you can get back to me in the next 20 seconds with the answer to the following question....." :wink:
Rocky

Postby lilac*mess » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:32 pm

:lol: Ok, all fair points, I hadn't really thought it through.
remember your raincoat
lilac*mess

PreviousNext

Return to The BellyBoard