[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The BellyBoard • View topic - bellybook worms

bellybook worms

Moderator: Eoin

Re: bellybook worms

Postby Nathalie » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:12 pm

3rd attempt reading Mrs Dalloway. in French. i just couldn't hack the original. :oops:
Nathalie

Postby shiv » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:42 pm

I loved Mrs. Dalloway.....the easiest way to read it is in one go or two sit-downs.....its harder to pick up once you've put it down because of the whole stream of consciousness thing.....

i'm reading crime and punishment....my 2nd attempt....
shiv

Postby Eoin » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:27 pm

Eoin

Postby shiv » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:45 am

I liked it when i started it before BUT that was in college and i decided on a different book for the exam.....couldn't pick it back up so i'm starting again.........so far so good.....
shiv

Postby Nathalie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:54 pm

Finally finished reading Mrs Dalloway (enjoyed it but didn't really understand anything. she's got a very intricate way of writing. Ah well.). Currently reading Steve Hodel's Black Dahlia Avenger. If you've read James Ellroy's The Black Dahlia, this is a must follow-up book to read. Dark. gritty. gripping. Loving it.
Nathalie

Postby Nathalie » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:34 am

After over 700 pages of horrific real murders in Hollywood back in the 40s, i'm gonna move on to something much lighter. Probably kind of braindead but it's needed. Starting tonight Elegance, by Kathleen Tessaro.

Being beautiful is no guarantee of happiness in this world. Strive instead for elegance, grace and style.
Nathalie

Postby bibliophile » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:46 pm

Nathalie,

If you liked Mrs. Dalloway, you should read The Hours by Michael Cunningham. It is so good! You may have already read it or seen the movie in which Nicole Kidman played Virginia Woolf. I always liked Mrs. Dalloway, but my favorite Virginia Woolf is To the Lighthouse. It's just really beautiful, both the story and the writing.

I read a lot of books (as should be apparent from my username :mrgreen: ). Currently I am reading, Fool by Christopher Moore, The Gathering by Anne Enright, and A Brief History of the Dead by Kevin Brockmeier. I am also reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, but I've misplaced my copy, so won't be finishing it until I can bother to look for it.
bibliophile

Postby Bronagh » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:30 pm

Also reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies at the moment, it's odd to say the least.
"Man i'll be so wasted that i'll be like, 'man im so bombed here man .. high five dude??' And then cats will high-five me and i'll be like 'Totally man, totally .. you any fegs?'."
Bronagh

Postby Niftium » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:10 pm

Tony and Mr. Benn appear to have impeccable taste. I'm one of you guys.
Niftium

Postby Nathalie » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:27 am

Nathalie

Postby bibliophile » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:01 am

Nathalie, I agree: can't do movie then book, no matter how interested I am. I read Nemirovsky's Suite Francaise about a year ago. As good as it was in English, I'm sure it will be much better in the original French.
bibliophile

Postby Nathalie » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:52 am

Nathalie

Postby bibliophile » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:05 am

bibliophile

Postby Nathalie » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:15 pm

mademoiselle, ^^, i'm enjoying reading your book related ramblings. it sounds to me like you have a lot of interesting things to say on the matter, so express yourself freely!

(not really) reading What not to wear for every occasion by Trinny Woodall & Susannah Constantine. bought it for 20c at a fair for the laugh. and indeed. this is what they write about what your clothes can say about you:

about the summer wedding trendy "not to wear" picture (a plain purple long dress with a see-through flowery maroon cardigan): "I need frivolous clothes to compensate for my lack of personality. I'll be hard work to talk to until a couple of bottles have slipped down my throath. Then I'll embarass myself on the dance floor before rushing off to vomit."

about the winter wedding smart "not to wear" picture (long black dress with huge black coat): "I'm a very creative person, with a passion for cats and street art. My star sign is Virgo with Aries rising and i have a colonic once a month."

i swear, one wouldn't know what to wear with their comments. Those two are completely mad and are working on the destruction of women confidence rather than the contrary. still, a funny reading it's that idiotic.
Nathalie

Postby Mully » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:02 am

"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

PreviousNext

Return to The BellyBoard