The "Hi, I'm New" thread...

Moderator: Eoin

Re: The "Hi, I'm New" thread...

Postby Eoin » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:53 am

Bacon and maple syrup is pretty gods damned awesome.
Eoin

Postby sleepyhead » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:41 pm

Both combinations seem equally disgusting. Seriously, how does someone even come up with that?

Eoin wrote:
sleepyhead wrote:What is absolutely delicious, by the way, is something called 'chocolade Antwerpse handjes'. It's an antwerpian (sp?) delicacy: dark chocolates in the shape of a hand with a marzipan or marzipan-liqueur filling. Hmmm.

That sounds excellent. :shock: Now I want some. :cry:

Aw I wish I had some than I could send some through. I'm sure there's a thingy somewhere on this computer that's solely meant for sending food. There must be.
25 is the new 19 anyway so it matters not - Rocky (who explicitly asked to be quoted)
sleepyhead

Postby Nathalie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:14 pm

sleepyhead, once you pass the channel, it's like a different food world here. kind of getting used to it, but some stuff just aren't acceptable... did i hear about deepfried batter+mars bar in Scotland once? madness.
And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.
Nathalie

Postby Dec » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:17 pm

Eoin wrote:I reckon anything good with over 60% cocoa mass probably fits the bill. :D A lot of the chocolate you get here is not even chocolate, it's more like milk and sugar and vegetable fat with some cocoa flavouring and vanilla. :(

It could be worse. It could be Hershey's. :x *vomit*
Dec

Postby Belle » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:30 pm

Dec wrote:
Eoin wrote:I reckon anything good with over 60% cocoa mass probably fits the bill. :D A lot of the chocolate you get here is not even chocolate, it's more like milk and sugar and vegetable fat with some cocoa flavouring and vanilla. :(

It could be worse. It could be Hershey's. :x *vomit*

+1
Belle

Postby sleepyhead » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:31 pm

Nathalie wrote:sleepyhead, once you pass the channel, it's like a different food world here. kind of getting used to it, but some stuff just aren't acceptable... did i hear about deepfried batter+mars bar in Scotland once? madness.

I heard about that! I also heard that since the success of the deepfried mars bar, they're now deepfrying everything. That could be rumours only, since I've never been there. Also, is it true that British peas are completely different from other peas? Say... huge and tasteless?

Where are you from then?
25 is the new 19 anyway so it matters not - Rocky (who explicitly asked to be quoted)
sleepyhead

Postby Nathalie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:03 pm

i confirm. peas are rotten. mushy. i actually bring back tin cans of peas and carrots from france each time i go home.
and i really don't think the deepfried thing is a rumour.
Nathalie

Postby Eoin » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:58 pm

sleepyhead wrote:Aw I wish I had some than I could send some through. I'm sure there's a thingy somewhere on this computer that's solely meant for sending food. There must be.

Eh... sure. Try putting chocolate in that opening in the front and see if you can attach it to an email. :)

sleepyhead wrote:Both combinations seem equally disgusting. Seriously, how does someone even come up with that?

Seriously, a little thingy of maple syrup served alongside pancakes* and streaky bacon fried up nice and greasy on the pan... it's great.

* ie American pancakes, which are sorta like English crumpets but thinner and a little more pancakey
Eoin

Postby Redgrelda » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:08 am

sleepyhead wrote:Both combinations seem equally disgusting. Seriously, how does someone even come up with that?

I had the bacon-chocolate at a state fair where I live. The vendors had apparently run out of new ideas for what foods to serve on a stick, so instead went with bad food combinations to entice the gullible and curious in the crowd. They always serve weird / oddball items, and I try it every year, for better or worse.

And I have tried the deep fried candy bars / mars bars, and I loved it! :D
Redgrelda

Postby erin from ohio » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:18 pm

sleepyhead wrote:Hi, I'm new. :)

It was mostly the pretty sign up here that drew me in.

Also: I am not Irish. I had no idea who Phil Lynott until I googled him. Turns out he even has a statue in Dublin. Nice.

Welcome welcome! Sorry this was late - I was in Colorado on vacation! I'm Irish by blood but live in the US. This board is fantastic!!!! :D
"Well behaved women seldom make history"
erin from ohio

Postby sleepyhead » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:55 pm

Hi Erin, thanks for the welcome! How was your holiday? Did you visit any national parks?

Eoin wrote:Seriously, a little thingy of maple syrup served alongside pancakes* and streaky bacon fried up nice and greasy on the pan... it's great.

* ie American pancakes, which are sorta like English crumpets but thinner and a little more pancakey

Ugh, I can't believe you just added pancakes. :shock: Not a big pancake fan, me. Sorry. And yes, I know, weird, everybody likes pancakes right? Although, we don't have something like crumpets here, I think, so I'm holding of my judgement on those.
sleepyhead

Postby Nathalie » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:55 pm

No, not everybody likes pancakes. too thick, dry and tasteless. I much prefer the more and more famous crêpes!

(eh eh, the baguette vs English bread has already been won in delis. phase 2 of the culinary colonial plan is being triggered. we're now dealing with peas and pancakes. good work sleepyhead! ;))
Nathalie

Postby Belle » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:06 pm

Nathalie wrote:No, not everybody likes pancakes. too thick, dry and tasteless. I much prefer the more and more famous crêpes!

Well, that all depends on either which brand you buy or how you make them!

sleepyhead wrote:Also, is it true that British peas are completely different from other peas? Say... huge and tasteless?

Hmmm.. I dont think I've tasted British peas now that I think about it.
Unless our peas are imported. Are they? Bachelors like? Yum.

Nathalie wrote:i confirm. peas are rotten. mushy.

I disagree. I quite like peas. Particularly mushy peas. Not a fan of garden peas though. :x
Belle

Postby Nathalie » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:11 pm

i'll go for fresh garden peas quicker than this greeny mashed thing.
Nathalie

Postby erin from ohio » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:42 pm

Oh I have to admit to not being a fan of peas! My mom served them to me when I was little and I threw them up. Never again was I served peas! Hooray!

Pancakes are ok but I love funnel cakes the best! You get them at the fair - all friend and served with powdered sugar. YUM YUM!!! :D
"Well behaved women seldom make history"
erin from ohio

PreviousNext

Return to The BellyBoard