The question thread

Moderator: Eoin

The question thread

Postby Nathalie » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:29 pm

i always have questions and wouldn't know where to post them. now i do.

1- i plan to prepare some dough tonight for baking a delicious quiche lorraine. problem is that the only one or two times i've tried to do it from scratch, i failed miserably and used some frozen ready-made one. have simple instructions here but again, it says to use vegetable shortening which i dont have (plus i read that it's not good for you). has anyone ever prepared some? belle? peepingtom? brian's mum? :mrgreen:

2- i'm looking to get a proper desk chair and i've been told in the past these were ideal. keep your back plain straight as your body needs to balance itself all the time. anyone has ever seen any, used one? north american friends, anyone in your office with the crazy ball chair?

Image

http://www.ballsnbands.com/cando_mobile_ball_chair.html

thank you.
And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.
User avatar
Nathalie
 
Posts: 4283
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Brian Road, Marino, D3

Re: The question thread

Postby erin from ohio » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:36 pm

Nathalie wrote:i always have questions and wouldn't know where to post them. now i do.

1- i plan to prepare some dough tonight for baking a delicious quiche lorraine. problem is that the only one or two times i've tried to do it from scratch, i failed miserably and used some frozen ready-made one. have simple instructions here but again, it says to use vegetable shortening which i dont have (plus i read that it's not good for you). has anyone ever prepared some? belle? peepingtom? brian's mum? :mrgreen:

2- i'm looking to get a proper desk chair and i've been told in the past these were ideal. keep your back plain straight as your body needs to balance itself all the time. anyone has ever seen any, used one? north american friends, anyone in your office with the crazy ball chair?

Image

http://www.ballsnbands.com/cando_mobile_ball_chair.html

thank you.


I can comment on both!

the dough - I use extra virgin olive oil and it works great and is much better for you. Also - Cookinglight.com is a good website to look for healthy recipes.

the ball - at my old job a ton of people had them and they all loved them. One guy was from Ireland and an Ironman triathlete and said he would never sit on anything else. He bought one for his "da" at home. I do beleive you will be having some sore stomach muscles for awhile as you get used to it. I am a sloucher and don't have one.
"Well behaved women seldom make history"
User avatar
erin from ohio
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:05 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: The question thread

Postby Nathalie » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:05 pm

thanks! this is perfect.
and for the chair, i knew the americans would be ahead of old Europe with her back pain! i'm sold. now, problem is that i will probably have to import it. anyone in ireland has ever seen them? they're cheap enough on the web. around 150 dollars. a bargain with our strong euro but not sure they deliver. and if they do, for how much?
anyway. i sit like a pig all day with my chin nearly touching my desk. it won't be long before i have a hunch and i don't want to be the granny that looks at her shoes all the time after 2050! :lol:
if only i had never quit ballet. my back was strong and straight as an I. now it's like an S...
And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.
User avatar
Nathalie
 
Posts: 4283
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Brian Road, Marino, D3

Re: The question thread

Postby erin from ohio » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:37 pm

$150 is a steal! Go for it. I bet you will love it.

Hey - this shows how idiotic I am with sending proviate messages but I sent you a reply nath and it is stuck in my outbox... Did it go through or is it waiting for something? :oops: :oops:
"Well behaved women seldom make history"
User avatar
erin from ohio
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:05 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: The question thread

Postby Nathalie » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:41 pm

Not idiotic at all. wondered about that as well before. it's in your outbox because you sent it but because i haven't read it. now that i have, it should be in your sent box.
have to bake that quiche now but will come back to you later. let's see now if i'm a martha stewart of some sort...
And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.
User avatar
Nathalie
 
Posts: 4283
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Brian Road, Marino, D3

Re: The question thread

Postby pigography » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:43 pm

Hmm, never tried making pie crust with olive oil. Must try that!
If you're making traditional pie crust dough, you have to REALLY chill your butter/vegetable shortening. You cut the flour into the cold butter (or shortening) with 2 sharp knives. Once the mixture resembles coarsely shaped peas - wait we don't like peas - lemon/orange seeds then :D you form the mixture into a ball (use your hands as little as possible - the heat of your hands may warm the butter/shortening and you want it to stay chilled as much as possible). Then with your rolling pin, roll out the dough. You never want to knead the dough; the less combined the better because the butter/shortening will melt in layers as it's baking, giving you lovely flaky pie crust. Hope that helps.
"Cos every moment is a Bell X1 moment" - Rocky
Pigography = Sylvia
User avatar
pigography
 
Posts: 985
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:43 pm
Location: On the wrong incline - Toronto

Re: The question thread

Postby Nathalie » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:16 pm

thanks pigo but i'll have to read that a few times before i understand what you mean. cooking wise, i'm more familiar with "pour and mix". anyway. the dough preparation didn't go super well at first. it was all sticky and god did i use my hands to mix this thing. ended up ringing mum and she confirmed i had to use more flour. so i did till i got this beautiful dough and the quiche was yummy! what an achievement, huh?! a perfectly baked quiche, made from scratch. i should have taken a picture. lol.
And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.
User avatar
Nathalie
 
Posts: 4283
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Brian Road, Marino, D3

Re: The question thread

Postby eoinkx1 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:17 pm

I've a question for Rocky. When did you get back from Santa Ponsa? And if it was this week, did you come across any drunken 18 year-olds from Killarney?
User avatar
eoinkx1
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:57 pm
Location: Killarney, co. Kerry

Re: The question thread

Postby Rocky » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:52 pm

Wow a question for me. I got back on Tuesday and was there for a week. It was fantastic. There were a good few Kerry people hanging around but I didnt actually talk to any of them cos I was shouting for Cork in the match (theres method to my madness, I was hoping wexford would beat Tyrone and it'd make it possible for Wexford to win then). The place was absolutely fucking infested with rebels though and they were lovin' it.

So in short eoinkx1 - no im afraid not.

Were there many of them out there?
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
User avatar
Rocky
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:43 pm
Location: Somerville, MA

Re: The question thread

Postby eoinkx1 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:05 am

Rocky wrote:Wow a question for me. I got back on Tuesday and was there for a week. It was fantastic. There were a good few Kerry people hanging around but I didnt actually talk to any of them cos I was shouting for Cork in the match (theres method to my madness, I was hoping wexford would beat Tyrone and it'd make it possible for Wexford to win then). The place was absolutely fucking infested with rebels though and they were lovin' it.

So in short eoinkx1 - no im afraid not.

Were there many of them out there?


I like how you used 'infested' in relation to the Cork crowd!
Yeah, a few of my mates and some others (in total 10) are out there since Saturday.

Are you from Ballinasloe? I keep bumping into people from Ballinasloe in UL. The place is infested with them!
EDiT: You're from Ballinastick.
User avatar
eoinkx1
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:57 pm
Location: Killarney, co. Kerry

Re: The question thread

Postby Rocky » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:18 am

My address is Ballinastack, Moylough, Ballinasloe (letters, cards and random parcels welcome) so i'm not too far away from Ballinasloe. Any names of any of them?
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
User avatar
Rocky
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:43 pm
Location: Somerville, MA

Re: The question thread

Postby pigography » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:40 am

Ballinawhatsit? Is that Gaelic for 'down the road from that farm yonder'? :lol:
"Cos every moment is a Bell X1 moment" - Rocky
Pigography = Sylvia
User avatar
pigography
 
Posts: 985
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:43 pm
Location: On the wrong incline - Toronto

Re: The question thread

Postby Rocky » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:22 am

Well aren't we just hilarious Pigo. Everyone take a moment to laugh at Pigo's hilarious joke *sarcastic laughter*

I don't actually know what it means but everyone around here knows the name of the place cos i mention it so many times. A proud Ballinastackian (ite) i am :oops:
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
User avatar
Rocky
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:43 pm
Location: Somerville, MA

Re: The question thread

Postby erin from ohio » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:50 pm

Nathalie wrote:thanks pigo but i'll have to read that a few times before i understand what you mean. cooking wise, i'm more familiar with "pour and mix". anyway. the dough preparation didn't go super well at first. it was all sticky and god did i use my hands to mix this thing. ended up ringing mum and she confirmed i had to use more flour. so i did till i got this beautiful dough and the quiche was yummy! what an achievement, huh?! a perfectly baked quiche, made from scratch. i should have taken a picture. lol.



My mouth is watering. Did you use olive oil or something else? How long did you bake it? I always have to watch mine for burning...

:oops:
"Well behaved women seldom make history"
User avatar
erin from ohio
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:05 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: The question thread

Postby Nathalie » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:09 pm

no, didn't use olive oil. just plain water and gave it a try. pastry was good but certainly not exceptional. will try the olive oil next time. now that i can make it, i'm gonna bake like mad... not. and cooking time depends on the oven really. but overall, i'd say around 20 mn.
And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.
User avatar
Nathalie
 
Posts: 4283
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Brian Road, Marino, D3

Next

Return to The BellyBoard

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron