Oxegen 09

Moderator: Eoin

Oxegen 09

Postby Mully » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:56 pm

With tickets on general sale tomorrow, I just thought it would be a good idea to start this now ...

It’s back and it’s better than ever…OXEGEN 2009 launches today with a truly fantastic line-up. Some of the biggest acts in the world will be playing OXEGEN and we’re revealing when you can catch them over the festival weekend...
PLUS we have a host of new artists added to the bill...check it out!

MTV UK is also announced as the official broadcast partner for 2009. Billed as MTV Presents OXEGEN this underlines the broadcaster’s commitment to support live music events as part of its initiative, Music’s Biggest Fan which launched in 2008. MTV UK’s support will include both TV and web content of the festival.

Artists announced today…

As you’ll have seen from the line-up above, Pet Shop Boys are now coming to OXEGEN. They recently picked up the Brit Award for Outstanding Contribution to Music from no less than The Killers frontman, Brandon Flowers. This is a perfect example of how their music has influenced a generation of artists over the last 25 years. Over 50 million in sales worldwide during that time and now a new album to marvel at…this is a rare opportunity to see them live at OXEGEN.

Jane’s Addiction are pioneers of the American alternative rock movement. Perry Farrell, Dave Navarro, Eric Avery and Stephen Perkins are back playing together after 17 years and OXEGEN will be a chance to see the original line-up in action.

Twelve times Grammy nominated Nine Inch Nails make their OXEGEN debut this year after a storming return to the live music circuit in 2008 along with festival favourites Doves who’s fourth studio album, Kingdom of Rust, is due for release in April 2009.

They made their OXGEN debut on the new bands stage in 2008 and Glasgow stalwarts Glasvegas are set to return after an incredible year which saw them recently headline the NME Awards Tour.

Hailed as the new Girls Aloud, The Saturdays are the newest girl group on the block and have already conquered the charts with hit singles ‘Up’, ‘Issues’ and ‘Just Can’t Get Enough’.

Eagles of Death Metal is the side project of Queen’s of the Stone Age head honcho Josh Homme and are fast becoming one of the biggest names in rock in their own right.

Dreadzone’s eclectic fusion of dub, reggae, techno, trance and folk are set for the first OXEGEN appearance this year while instrumental post-rock three piece God is an Astronaut are returning after a mesmerising set on the Pet Sounds stage in 2008 along with singer-songwriter Gary Go who won over a legion of new fans after playing 2008 New Sounds stage.

All making their OXEGEN debuts, experimental DJ Tom Middleton’s live performances span everywhere from Ibiza club nights to The Union Chapel in London, Glaswegian electro newcomer Hudson Mohawke is due to release his debut LP on Warp this year, while Belgian duo Aeroplane have remixed tracks for the likes of Cut Copy, MGMT and Bloc Party.
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Re: Oxegen 09

Postby peepingtom » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:44 pm

looks like i'll be making my debut this year ..... Nine Inch Nails and Faith no more within a few weeks of each other .... I think I just did a sex wee
__________________________________________________________________________________
peepingtom

Postby aoife05 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:53 pm

Someone will have top reccommend some Janes Addiction, NIN and EODM to me.

Lookin forward to seeing Yeah Yeah Yeahs their new album The Blitz is fantasticooo!!
"It's not a gig, it's a focus group. "- Paul Noonan
aoife05

Postby Chaz » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:21 pm

The line up is quite good this year but there's way too many poxy poppers for my liking. Katie perry and lady fecking gaga - NOT ON YOUR NELLIE WOULD I PAY TO SEE THEM!! however, my good old followill clan could tempt me to go any day!!! they put the rock in rock 'n' roll so they do!!!! :) :)
I'm like Colombus in India.
Chaz

Postby aoife05 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:38 pm

I wouldn't see them in a gig of their own, but I'm definitely gonna go see Katy Perry and Lady GaGa with my friends (If they don't clash with any bands I want too see) cause it'd be a laugh I think! :D
"It's not a gig, it's a focus group. "- Paul Noonan
aoife05

Postby ragoo » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:21 am

i'm with aoife on that, go to see them for the laugh once they don't clash with any proper bands! :P Fairly gutted Bell x1 havn't been announced though. Glad I'm getting to see them in the Marquee at least. Still haven't got over the guilt of seeing Kings of Leon over them at last years Oxegen..
I've a feeling you won't look at me that way in the morning...
ragoo

Postby Mully » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:36 pm

aoife05 wrote:I wouldn't see them in a gig of their own, but I'm definitely gonna go see Katy Perry and Lady GaGa with my friends (If they don't clash with any bands I want too see) cause it'd be a laugh I think! :D

Is that not one of the points of a festival, seeing things you wouldn't normally see ... & having a laugh.
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Chaz » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:38 pm

Mully wrote:
aoife05 wrote:I wouldn't see them in a gig of their own, but I'm definitely gonna go see Katy Perry and Lady GaGa with my friends (If they don't clash with any bands I want too see) cause it'd be a laugh I think! :D

Is that not one of the points of a festival, seeing things you wouldn't normally see ... & having a laugh.

I suppose so. my point is, there's only actually a few bands at oxegen this year that i'd love to see. i wouldn't pay over 200 euro just to see a couple and not really be bothered about the rest u get me? yeah, it'd probably be good 2 see something different but i detest lady gaga and katy perry so wouldn't dream of even listening to them on the radio, let alone at a festival.
Chaz

Postby Joanna » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:02 pm

Lady Gaga... now i'm considering going :D
Goooood Afternoonan
Joanna

Postby Chaz » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:06 pm

Joanna wrote:Lady Gaga... now i'm considering going :D

Oh no! Not another one!! ;)
Chaz

Postby Joanna » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:13 pm

I acknowledge that she's shite but still, i enjoy her!
Goooood Afternoonan
Joanna

Postby Chaz » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:15 pm

Well in that case Joanna, we'll make an exception!! Seeing as it's you!! :) Whatever you enjoy, fair enough, enjoy. I'm just a rocker at heart so don't throw me any pop or the outcome will not be too good!! ;)
Chaz

Postby Mully » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:27 pm

Chaz wrote:I suppose so. my point is, there's only actually a few bands at oxegen this year that i'd love to see. i wouldn't pay over 200 euro just to see a couple and not really be bothered about the rest u get me? yeah, it'd probably be good 2 see something different but i detest lady gaga and katy perry so wouldn't dream of even listening to them on the radio, let alone at a festival.

I do indeed get you. But thats one of the things I like about Oxegen, the fact that the vast majority of folks are quite happy to park themselves in front of the main stage for the weekend & take whatever is served up to them. It frees up the 2nd stage & tents for the likes of myself to move between freely.

When the timetable is released, all you need is 8-10 bands a day to see. 25-30 over the weekend, so I don't be complaining about bands I don't want to see playing ... If the lineup was 100 bands you did want to see, then thats a festival that would break your heart !!
Mully

Postby Chaz » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:32 pm

I suppose your right. Maybe I'm just trying to console myself over the fact i'm not going. I would've loved to go last year due to KOL, the coronas, mundy and the bellies plus many more. this year, i feel there's a bit too much recent phenomenons rather than the older ones I prefer. Wouldn't mind going but the lineup isn't very tempting to me. hopefully next year will be better. fingers crossed bellies will be there.
Chaz

Postby Mully » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:10 pm

Chaz wrote:fingers crossed bellies will be there.

Not sure if they will, they seem to be in bed with Aiken these days, but they have kept MCD onside too.
Mully

Next

Return to The BellyBoard