Siamsa and Co.

Moderator: Eoin

Siamsa and Co.

Postby Nathalie » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:18 am

Thought it might be interesting to have a thread on what's happening in the entertainment business and other related cultural stuff to do (music, museums, plays, festivals, etc). All countries are welcomed of course. just make sure you mention where it's happening. I'll start. :mrgreen:

Dublin - A fabulous opportunity to listen to beautiful French and interact with great minds!

http://www.francoirishliteraryfestival.com/

The Franco-Irish Literary Festival is the result of successful collaboration between the Alliance Française and the Cultural Service of the French Embassy. It has been supported to great effect by such Irish organisations as The Arts Council, Culture Ireland and Foras na Gaeilge among others. Irish and French sponsors such as Ireland Fund of France, Dublin City Council, Irish Distillers, Servier Laboratories … and the Irish press.
The Festival has, since its inception in 2000, become a significant date (springtime) in the annual literary calendar of Dublin.
The Coach House and the Chester Beatty Library, both situated in Dublin Castle, are the venues for the Festival and help to create the uniquely “convivial” atmosphere of the event.
The Festival’s aim is to widen and enhance the long-standing friendship that exists between Ireland, France and other French-speaking countries. It welcomes writers in both the English and Irish languages, together with writers of the wider francophone world and other European literatures. In doing so it provides an opportunity to showcase a wide selection of Irish and French writers before the Irish public.
The programme and selection of authors is made by a Franco-Irish Committee including important personalities of the Literary, Academic and Publishing world and Irish institutions such as Poetry Ireland, Ireland Literature Exchange, Irish Writers’ Centre…
Each year the festival presents a central theme and writers from different languages and cultures, are given the opportunity to exchange experiences and ideas around this theme in an informal setting. Debates, interviews, "cafés littéraires", readings, book sales and signings take place over the three days of the festival.
Among the celebrities invited since 2000 the festival has welcomed such French writers as J.M.G. Le Clézio, Michel Déon, Noelle Chatelet, Jean-Christophe Rufin, Amin Maalouf, Azouz Begag, Jean-Paul Kauffmann... and such Irish writers as Joseph O’Connor, John Banville, Roddy Doyle, Hugo Hamilton, Brian Keenan, Patrick McCabe, Sebastian Barry, Nuala Ní Dhomhnaill…
The Franco-Irish Literary Festival offers a rare opportunity to spend three days in an exciting and stimulating literary environment.
All events open to the public and free with simultaneous translation provided in English and French. Since 2006, the Festival is organising a Book Crossing, a treasure hunt of a new kind, one month before and after the Festival.

For every edition a special website is created with its own design, programme, biographies. You can consult the previous editions websites here (http://www.francoirishliteraryfestival.com/ )
And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.
Nathalie

Re: Siamsa and Co.

Postby Nathalie » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:02 pm

TG4 Tonight at 11.55 - Les Bronzés font du ski

French comedy, 1979. If there is one cult movie for my generation, it's this one. Not sure at all how the humor will translate but if you're bored this evening, give it a try.

http://filmsdefrance.com/FDF_Les_Bronze ... i_rev.html
Nathalie

Postby Mully » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:40 pm

Nathalie wrote:TG4 Tonight at 11.55 - Les Bronzés font du ski

French comedy, 1979. If there is one cult movie for my generation, it's this one. Not sure at all how the humor will translate but if you're bored this evening, give it a try.

http://filmsdefrance.com/FDF_Les_Bronze ... i_rev.html

I caught the end of this the other night ... Looked funny alright.
I only had half an eye on it, doesn't really work with subtitles :roll:
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Nathalie » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:14 pm

last thread of the last page but it won't die today.

something different. something free. i'm certainly interested. you might too. there's a ballerina in all of us... :wink:

Dance on Film Sunday, January 31 at 4pm
Dublin Dance Festival and Light House Cinema, Smithfield present: Jérôme Bel’s Véronique Doisneau (2004)
Date: Sunday, January 31 - Time: 4pm
Venue: Light House Cinema, Smithfield
Tickets: This event is free but ticketed. Tickets can be booked in advance or collected from the Light House Box Office on 01 879 7601 .

Véronique Doisneau was a member of the corps de ballet of the Paris Opera Ballet, a career ballet dancer, but never the étoile. This work by Jérôme Bel was made as Doisneau was approaching 42, POB’s mandatory retirement age. On a bare stage, Doisneau sketches out her life as a dancer. She dances short sections of her favourite works, among them La Bayadére, Giselle and Merce Cunningham’s Points in Space. Both humorous and poignant, Bel’s film reveals the person behind the facade of the mutely graceful corps.

A panel discussion on the topic ‘Career Transitions in Dance’ will follow the screening. Panellists include Joanna Banks, College of Dance; Finola Cronin, UCD; Paul Johnson, Dance Ireland, Jenny Roche, Dance Advisor to the Arts Council and Davide Terlingo, Head of Dance, the Arts Council.

This FREE event has been made possible thanks to the support of Alliance Française.
Nathalie

Postby Mully » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:02 am

Nathalie wrote:last thread of the last page but it won't die today.

something different. something free. i'm certainly interested. you might too. there's a ballerina in all of us... :wink:

If that Ballerina needs her fix this week, go see 'The Red Shoes' in The Lighthouse.

Remastered version of the British classic film from 1948. A gem, with ballet too.
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Nathalie » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:20 am

Never saw it. and for some reasons, i'm not that interested. not a fan of british ballet. bah humbug!

went to see A Christmas Carol in the Gate theatre yesterday. Although not a fan of Dickens at all, i really enjoyed the play, even if i didn't understand everything. after 10 years living on "da nort side", i don't follow 19th century english easily!
have to say, i'm never disappointed by plays in Dublin. fantastic imagination from directors, decorators and costume makers. forget movies, go for the real 3D! go to the theatre! :)
Nathalie

Postby lilac*mess » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:28 pm

Mully wrote: If that Ballerina needs her fix this week, go see 'The Red Shoes' in The Lighthouse.

Remastered version of the British classic film from 1948. A gem, with ballet too.

The Red Shoes is my favourite film! And I don't even like ballet, or I didn't before I first saw it about a year ago. The performances are extremely dark and beautiful. It's almost like a 'Ballet Noir'. Nath - it's a British/French production, set mostly in France if I remember correctly, and I think many of the dancers are French, if that makes a difference :).
remember your raincoat
lilac*mess

Postby Nathalie » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:55 pm

it would. :mrgreen: i'm totally partial and i think it's time the French national ballet gets the place it deserves, above the russian and british ballets. we're that modest that noone knows we're world leaders on that one. :wink:

as for the movies, from a general point of view, i've no affinities with the classic xmas movies from the anglo-saxon world. they were simply not shown on tv. our classic is the adventures of Sissi, aka Elizabeth of Bavaria, Empress of Austria and Queen of Hungary and Bohemia. with the beautiful Romy Schneider. 3 parts. i heart Sissi.

here's an english version...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4hoCbUM ... re=related
Nathalie

Postby Nathalie » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:02 pm

funny enough, tv5 is showing this evening the other great xmas classic of my generation: La Boum (The party).
The movie that made sophie marceau a superstar. she was only 14... I love that movie and every year my dad despairs to see me, at my age, watching the love stories of a teenager... :mrgreen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Boum
Nathalie

Postby Eoin » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:23 am

Nath, I read the synopsis of that story and it sounds like dreadful crap. :P
Eoin

Postby Nathalie » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:16 pm

it's a teenage movie! of course it is a bit rubbish. it's like the french high school musical of the 80s. without the musical bit. anyway. you just had to be there to appreciate it. :mrgreen:
Nathalie

Postby Nathalie » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:19 pm

Went to the IMMA, to see Picturing New York. Very very nice little exhibition of NY pictures. Highly recommended. and hurry up. think it might be finishing soon (although they might extend it).

http://www.modernart.ie/en/page_197023.htm

And bringing Lucie for her birthday (9 yesterday) to see what seems like a very interesting dance show.

Using science and experimentation as inspiration behind the show's theme, routines will be undoubtedly whacky and wonderful and amazingly colourful, taking the art and science of dance to a whole new level. The dance creations will 'experiment' with different styles of dance from contemporary to hip-hop and ballet to tango combining them to produce imaginative explosions of dance that Ireland has never bore witness to before.

http://www.thehelix.ie/2010Q1/DCUDance2010.htm

I'm in a mood to do plenty of different Siamsa stuff this year. I've a budget of 200 euros/month now that i don't smoke anymore... :D
Nathalie

Postby Nathalie » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:35 am

Not worth making a day trip for it but if you're around Kildare st, call up to the Alliance française. there's a little exhibition of collage works by Sean Hillen, Return to Irelantis. thought that was good.

http://www.irelantis.com/

and around the corner, at the Science Gallery in Trinity, the Love Lab... what is that about, i don't know... thought it would be an interesting exhibition on the heart. but it's more like an experimentation, where children are absolutely not involved (boring for Lucie!). you're asked to smell men's t-shirt, how many partners you've had and what not... anyway. left disappointed without participating to it. nobody loves me... :cry:

http://www.sciencegallery.com/lovelab
Nathalie

Postby Nathalie » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:06 pm

swing dancing going on at the music stand, St Stephen's Green, this Saturday 26th, from 3 to 5.

come and have a look and a dance. good music to listen to... and hopefully, MC Blue Sky and DJ Sun will be there too. :)
Nathalie

Postby Nathalie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:57 pm

The Fringe Festival is on. don't miss the swing/cabaret night at the Button factory next Monday night!

http://www.visitdublin.com/Events/AllDu ... 6&mid=8426

and jazz orchestra every sunday night at the Tivoli with a nice dancefloor... the swingers are taking over dublin!

Nathalie

Next

Return to The BellyBoard