[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The BellyBoard • View topic - Vicar street gigs - March & April 09

Vicar street gigs - March & April 09

Moderator: Eoin

Re: Vicar street gigs - March & April 09

Postby aoife05 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:45 pm

Can I possibly buy one of those bags online? Just I had to rush out from the gig in gallimh and didn't have time to purchase one!

Thanks!
"It's not a gig, it's a focus group. "- Paul Noonan
aoife05

Postby lilac*mess » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:58 pm

lilac*mess

Postby Colm » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:05 pm

"If all time was but a day,
We'd show up around midnight and say hey"
Colm

Postby Nathalie » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:43 pm

they were on stage for 9.30 yesterday.
Nathalie

Postby evie09 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:07 pm

ooohhh I'm so excited.......

sounds great!

:D
evie09

Postby Nathalie » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:28 am

great gig tonight! Quite different from yesterday atmosphere wise. older crowd. and far more bellx educated. more singing along, great respond to older songs and all. really enjoyed it!
a few changes in the setlist. we got Light catches your face, Mr Benn, and West of her spine (just Paul on accoustic guitar (I think) and Dave on the banjo. very lively.)
Tongue was even more amazing than yesterday. and i was still the only one bursting of joy with a better band. ah well, they'll come around it.
delighted i went twice. it was really two different gigs, tonight being pure pleasure. not even one couple around to ruin it. just girls dancing. :D
Anyway. not sure when i'll see the lads again but tonight sent me to the blue Planet and me think i'm gonna stay there for a while...
Nathalie

Postby shiv » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:38 am

All of my friends were there last night....they would have made up the older crowd you mentioned....my sister and friend called me for eve, defector, tongue (absolutely rocked!), flame, I'll see your heart and rocky!
I desperately wanted to sing along to every one but i was locked in the bathroom of an 8-bed dorm in a hostel and it was 6 in the morning and didn't want to wake anyone....had to do it for rocky though....my friend shouted down the phone he'd cut me off if he didn't hear me.........

i know what you mean about 2 different gigs nat....it was the same in november...went to both the wednesday night and thursday night gigs and it was 2 very different nights....both brilliant in their own way......

i'll see ye next year boys! 8)
shiv

Postby cossy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:07 am

The boys were great last night. Another top-notch gig from the Bellies. I felt that the crowd could have hushed up a bit more during the quieter numbers. Tongue was the standout song for me (yet again). It's just so brilliant live. Natalie I thought "A better band" was amazing. I love the heavy guitar at the end. It could rival Tongue as my favourite live track i fear.
cossy

Postby evie09 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:45 am

Great gig last night, they played almost all my favourites so very happy :)
Just missing Breastfed and maybe Snakes & Snakes would have been nice...
Good mix of old and new!
But yes, too much talking in the crowd! What's with that? Don't GO if you are just going to chat for the whole thing! Two very rude blonde girls and their mad dancing boyfriend in front of me... But two lovely lads behind who didn't mind us blocking their view - if you're out there thanks!!!
Paul Noonan is A ROCK GOD. The thing that makes me happiest is I just get the feeling he's going to go on being a musical genius for decades so we've plenty to look forward to.
Is it just me? And don't you just love the way he gets so into it and all the moves? Only one thing Paul, SMILE MORE! He was a bit serious, but caught a guilty smile when he screwed up the words of one of the new tunes... hilarious!
Oh I wish I was going next week too...
evie09

Postby Colm » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:58 am

Brilliant gig last night. :D

Setlist:

Amelia
How Your Heart Is Wired
Ribs Of A Broken Umbrella
Bad Skin Day
Next To You
First Born
Eve
Light Catches Your Face
Tongue
The Great Defector
A Better Band
Flame
I'll See Your Heart

Encore:
Just Like Mr. Benn
West Of Her Spine
One Stringed Harp
Rocky

Would have loved Snakes & Snakes and Alphabet Soup and at least something off Neither Am I, but as Paul said, they were trying to play as much of the new album as possible - they played them all except Blow Ins, Breastfed and Curtains Are Twitchin'. Just Like Mr. Benn and West Of Her Spine were both welcome surprises, with just Paul, Dave and Dom. A Better Band, Tongue and First Born were my favourites on the night.

Paul said playing four nights at Vicar St. is a "headfuck" :lol: Did anyone notice Paul giving a quick smile to Dave when he got the lyrics right to the last verse of The Great Defector?
Colm

Postby evie09 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:33 pm

Thanks for the set list colm, I couldn't remember the order!

Didn't see that moment...
Loved the bit of chat about Eve being played at the junior discos... and yes, I remember dancing to Eternal Flame at the disco in the Gaeltacht way back when! LOL!
evie09

Postby ChrisMcW » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:47 pm

Thought Villagers on monday night were fantastic supporting the lads, bought their "Hollow Kind" EP, very impressive.
Are they supporting next week too??
ChrisMcW

Postby Colm » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:54 pm

Colm

Postby aoife05 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:08 pm

"It's not a gig, it's a focus group. "- Paul Noonan
aoife05

Postby Colm » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:48 pm

There's a review of Monday's gig in today's Indo by John Meagher:

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment ... 95085.html

A good review, although I thought he was a bit harsh when he said they were "flat" in November. I did think they were more assured this time, understandably, having toured with Marc and Rory and having played the new songs more often. He clearly still hates One-Stringed Harp as well.
Colm

PreviousNext

Return to The BellyBoard