Belfast Tonight

Moderator: Eoin

Belfast Tonight

Postby Joanna » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:46 am

Feels like I haven't been here in aaages... I thought I'd drop by and give my 2 cents on tonights gig!

The boys were amazing tonight. Some really beautiful moments, Amelia completely blew me away and I was so happy to hear Tongue again.

I can't say how disappointed I was with the crowd though. So many people seemed completely wasted, there was an unbelievable amount of talking in between songs. It's been said so many times but WHAT THE HELL IS THE POINT IN PAYING TO SEE A BAND YOU LOVE, GETTING FUCKED AND WRECKING OTHER PEOPLE'S NIGHTS?!? I've said it before and I'll say it again, alcohol should be banned at gigs.

Oh, and, if the girl with the dreadlocks who was dancing like a complete lunatic in front of me is reading this, thanks for almost BLINDING me with your hair and pissing eveeeryone around you off!

And so endeth the rant... :)
Goooood Afternoonan
Joanna

Re: Belfast Tonight

Postby Mully » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:01 am

Joanna wrote:Feels like I haven't been here in aaages... I thought I'd drop by and give my 2 cents on tonights gig!

The boys were amazing tonight. Some really beautiful moments, Amelia completely blew me away and I was so happy to hear Tongue again.

I can't say how disappointed I was with the crowd though. So many people seemed completely wasted, there was an unbelievable amount of talking in between songs. It's been said so many times but WHAT THE HELL IS THE POINT IN PAYING TO SEE A BAND YOU LOVE, GETTING FUCKED AND WRECKING OTHER PEOPLE'S NIGHTS?!? I've said it before and I'll say it again, alcohol should be banned at gigs.

Oh, and, if the girl with the dreadlocks who was dancing like a complete lunatic in front of me is reading this, thanks for almost BLINDING me with your hair and pissing eveeeryone around you off!

And so endeth the rant... :)

Well thats just plain annoying ... I was up in Belfast for a job interview this morning. I'd have stuck around for the gig if I'd known.

Regarding the crowd, as Jim Morrison sang, People are Strange.
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Eoin » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:24 am

Joanna wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again, alcohol should be banned at gigs.

I keep saying this too, but for some reason I still haven't been elected King of Ireland so it hasn't happened yet.
Eoin

Postby Mully » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:56 am

Eoin wrote:
Joanna wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again, alcohol should be banned at gigs.

I keep saying this too, but for some reason I still haven't been elected King of Ireland so it hasn't happened yet.

Won't happen. Too much of this €€€ ... That said, if theatres can survive (I presume with heavy grant supplement) why not music venues.
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Eoin » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:55 pm

Mully wrote:Won't happen. Too much of this €€€ ... That said, if theatres can survive (I presume with heavy grant supplement) why not music venues.

Yeah, that's always been my first thought. But the more cynical I become the more I would want to see the accounts to prove it. At €20 a ticket, the Olympia would take in 10,000 euros on a mediocre night. That's 10 grand in a single night. Whatever way that pie gets sliced up, I don't see the venue making a loss.
Eoin

Postby evie09 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:57 pm

Most theatres have bars too... have you not seen the literati of Ireland chugging back the chardonnay at the interval in the Abbey or wherever?

I'm not sure they should ban the drink entirely but I think in Vicar st they should close the bar during the show so that muppets like some who were near me last tues who clearly aren't remotely interested in the music don't push out past THREE TIMES to go to the bar.

Glad to hear the Belfast gig was good too - a friend of mine was there and said it was great. Were there any variations on the setlist?
evie09

Postby obi » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:03 pm

i agree to an extent! theres nothing more annoying than some retard talking all the way through a gig your trying to enjoy!

but as for the alcohol issue....eh ever hear of everyfin in moderation?! why ban the stuff? what if people like us just like to unwind but not get wasted!! if you like the band enough your not gonna get pished and drink yourself silly, people that are pished shud be chucked out but alcohol shudnt be banned from gigs,
At the Derry gig there was a girl behind me trying to take my place at the v front, her eyes were rolling in her head but kept elbowing me trying to get up front, all you have to do is tell the biatch to pack it in, or if that works...return the elbowing!!

rant over...phew*
obi

Postby Eoin » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:45 pm

obi wrote:but as for the alcohol issue....eh ever hear of everyfin in moderation?! why ban the stuff?

Because we have a problem with alcoholism. I'm all for people doing what they want to themselves, but a public setting should be controlled to some extent. Gigs are about music. Not only have they been perverted into a heavy-drinking occasion, they also discriminate against minors purely to facilitate drinking. It's bullshit. There are enough bars and clubs to hang out and buy booze in. Music venues should be unlicenced - if people don't like the band/artist enough to go see them them sober then they can always stay at home and get hammered listening to the CD or watching them on Youtube.

Vote Eoin.
Eoin

Postby obi » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:27 pm

tell ya what...

If your that disgusted with people who enjoy a drink whilst enjoying listening to they're favourite band...

dont bother mixing with the alcoholics like apparently the majority of us!!

pfft....some people!!

chillax and listen to the music that brought you there in the first place!! :mrgreen:
obi

Postby Joanna » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:39 pm

I see what you're saying obi. I have nothing against people drinking and making their own decisions, I even had a drink when i arrived last night before the Bellies! But I've just had enough of my nights being wrecked by the ever increasing number of people who are completely out of it at gigs. When I went to see Muse, there was a guy boking beside me which was lovely. I have nothing against people going to gigs and using alcohol as a way to enjoy the music more, but if they're starting to effect other people's enjoyment, as they were last night, it's just not fair and something pretty drastic should be done. Although it never will be. Why should I pay to see my favourite band and just end up incredibly pissed off, dodging the dreadlocks of some mental girl in front of me cos she has no idea where she is anymore?

And as Eoin said, venues discriminating against under 18's because of licencing laws is so unfair. It was the bane of my existence in my late teens.

As for the setlist, we didn't get anything from NAI :(
Goooood Afternoonan
Joanna

Postby Cathal » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:16 pm

In fairness, it's fairly rare that a gig is ruined by too many drunk people - I go to quite a lot of gigs in Belfast and I do experience the odd drunken idiot ruining my enjoyment a bit every now and then but it's rarely more than a few people if it happens at all, nowhere near enough for alcohol banning to be brought in, in my opinion.

Then again I'd say it depends on the venue and the band. I wasn't at the Bell X1 gig (I forgot all about it actually. Oh well, I saw them on the Tour De Flock and I've not been listening to them as much recently, bar a few spins of the new album) but Mandela Hall gigs and, in general gigs in bigger venues by more popular bands, can be a bit rowdier from my experience than, say, The Stiff Kitten or Spring & Airbrake where most of the gigs I go to are, where most people will have a pint or two and enjoy the music. I suppose not selling alcohol at bigger gigs could be a good move (I don't really drink at bigger gigs anyway cos I don't want to lose my place / queue for the bar / spill drink on people), but a blanket ban would never be a good idea. It'd probably discourage people from going to smaller local gigs, for one. Plus talking through gigs and being drunk aren't always related - I've been to gigs where people around me have seemed sober yet just haven't shut the fuck up. It does baffle me why they go rather than just going to a quiet bar where they can talk to their heart's content.

And with that stream of conciousness rambling, I can't entirely remember what my original point was. Oh well.
Cathal

Postby Eoin » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:48 pm

I'd agree with that. There's a difference between having a small gig in a bar and having a bar in a music venue. The former is a necessary convenience. The latter makes no sense. There is an exclusive connection between venues and licences that has no logical basis. You don't buy beers and shots at the cinema (at best, you buy them in the adjoining bar). Why are venues different?

obi wrote:tell ya what...

If your that disgusted with people who enjoy a drink whilst enjoying listening to they're favourite band...

dont bother mixing with the alcoholics like apparently the majority of us!!

pfft....some people!!

That statement doesn't make any sense.
Eoin

Postby obi » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:29 pm

urm actually mister fancy pants i think it does, i apologise if you dont understand my grammer, cuz i dont use big words like you! :roll:

but it means if you dont like to mix with us people who enjoy to come out to a gig and have a few bevvies without getting trollied dont bother coming out....well not if your gonna moan about it on a website....i dont like people who drink too much at gigs either, nobody does, ruins the atmosphere but theres no need for banning alcohol altogether in gigs!!

hope that cleared that wee issue up for ya! :mrgreen:

people are way too uptight....

chillax!!
obi

Postby Eoin » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:59 pm

obi wrote:urm actually mister fancy pants i think it does, i apologise if you dont understand my grammer, cuz i dont use big words like you! :roll:

You're having a go at my vocabulary because it's good? Wtf?

obi wrote:but it means if you dont like to mix with us people who enjoy to come out to a gig and have a few bevvies without getting trollied dont bother coming out....well not if your gonna moan about it on a website....i dont like people who drink too much at gigs either, nobody does, ruins the atmosphere but theres no need for banning alcohol altogether in gigs!!

hope that cleared that wee issue up for ya! :mrgreen:

I wasn't confused about what you said, I was just stating that it makes no sense. I go to gigs for the music. If a few drunk people were enough to make me not enjoy the music, then I would have stopped going to them already. Why would any of this mean that I shouldn't complain about the way people drink at gigs?

obi wrote:people are way too uptight....

chillax!!

Tbh, you're the one firing exclamation marks around; sounds like you're pretty wound up.
Eoin

Postby obi » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:35 am

omg....i give up!! i knew there was a reason i stopped coming on this msg board!!

:lol:
obi

Next

Return to The BellyBoard