Protools Vs Logic

Moderator: Eoin

Protools Vs Logic

Postby Andy » Sun May 03, 2009 12:17 am

Time for me to get with the programme and invest in home recording. We're using protools in school so it'd be quite handy to be able to work at home, but i've seen logic in action and i quite fancy it. Anyone want to help convince me?
Andy

Re: Protools Vs Logic

Postby iamian » Sun May 03, 2009 1:50 am

Well Logic Pro for awesomeness, but only if you can get the student discount. Both this and Pro Tools are costly.

Logic Express is alright, but if you can get a student discount I'd go straight for Pro.

If it's something you want to get into professionally I would have said get Pro Tools, because loads of studios use it(though there seem to be less than there were). However, since you are becoming familiar with Pro Tools in school anyway that needn't be a consideration, and Logic might be a better option.

Can I ask what setup you have - computer hardware, mics, sound cards, etc. etc. If you don't have anything in relation to this yet, what kind of thing are you thinking of getting? If you're going to get serious software though, you should make sure you have the hardware to make it worthwhile.
iamian

Postby Eoin » Sun May 03, 2009 1:38 pm

+1

If you're planning to do professional work, it's worth getting really familiar with Pro Tools, purely because you'll find it anywhere. But if you're not going down that road, it's pretty overrated imo and the LE version has nothing to offer which is beyond the capabilities of any other good sequencer (Logic, Cubase etc.). I'd suggest using whatever you're more comfortable with.

The fact that Pro Tools will only work with overpriced and mediocre Digidesign hardware has always put me off it.
Eoin

Postby Andy » Sun May 03, 2009 5:04 pm

You don't rate the digi stuff? Hardware is an entirely new question altogether. Decisions decisions.
Andy

Postby Eoin » Sun May 03, 2009 9:25 pm

Not really. The business model behind Pro Tools is pretty ruthlessly capitalist. LE is made to be a bit shite (sample rate limitation, channel limitation, plugin limitations etc) so that it doesn't compete with their upper-end TDM / HD system. Both are designed so that only Digidesign hardware will work with them. If Digi weren't so cripplingly afraid of losing their monopoly and allowing competition, they'd be making much better software and hardware. The preamps and converters in the Digi hardware aren't worth a damn as far as I can tell, not even in the expensive system. Your money goes on the brand name and the inter-compatibility.

Plus, aside from having the ability to buy whatever hardware you want, the top of my list of things I'd look for in any sequencer is VST support (which Digi don't got).
Eoin

Return to The BellyBoard