Farewell Michael

Moderator: Eoin

Farewell Michael

Postby Nathalie » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:06 pm

whatever we might think, it's still sad to say goodbye to Michael Jackson... :(

A fantastic musician and performer. One of my 80s figures.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ec0c ... -abc_music
And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.
Nathalie

Re: Farewell Michael

Postby Nathalie » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:21 pm

and let's also say goodbye to farrah fawcett. she was my 70s figure. i was her when we were playing charlie's angels with my 2 brunette neighbours, back in the days... :)

Nathalie

Postby pigography » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:00 am

Ed McMahon died recently too. He had the best job: gave his one-liner 'Heeeere's Johnny!' and then did nothing but watch Johnny Carson the rest of the night!
"Cos every moment is a Bell X1 moment" - Rocky
Pigography = Sylvia
pigography

Postby lilac*mess » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:03 am

I learn of more celebrity deaths here than anywhere else. I'm quite shocked, seems so out of the blue.
remember your raincoat
lilac*mess

Postby Eoin » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:35 am

I learned of this round of celebrity deaths through people's Myspace status messages.
Eoin

Postby evie09 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:25 am

Eoin wrote:I learned of this round of celebrity deaths through people's Myspace status messages.

Same here, but on facebook...
All sorts of closet MJ fans appearing out of the blue, who knew?

Call me cynical, but... cardiac arrest? I'll wait for the post mortem...
evie09

Postby Nathalie » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:23 pm

there's no MJ fans in the closet. he just was out of the music scene for long now and noone talked about him for other things than the creepy news from Neverland. but, for having been around for 5 generations, he sure has touched more or less everybody...

and i'd believe the cardiac arrest thing. already heard how he was on various prescription pills and i reckon he'd taken so many than he was a living pharmaceutical bomb. like Elvis.
Nathalie

Postby Mully » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:52 am

Nathalie wrote:there's no MJ fans in the closet. he just was out of the music scene for long now and noone talked about him for other things than the creepy news from Neverland. but, for having been around for 5 generations, he sure has touched more or less everybody...

I was never really a fan but there is no denying the effect he & Jones had on the musical lanscape from Off The Wall onwards ... Still feeling it today, even if MJ was pretty irrelevant for the last 15+ yrs. The late 70s - late 80s had a huge amount of top top tunes for him, but after that he seemed stuck in a time, as music & media moved on, he stood still.

A misguided man child in real life, he did an awful lot of good with his celebrity esp. for children & I reckon he was the last (only ?) throughly global superstar.

On a side note, I continue to find mass adoration unnerving.
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Nathalie » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:58 am

Mully wrote: & I reckon he was the last (only ?) throughly global superstar.
On a side note, I continue to find mass adoration unnerving.

mmm... excusez-moi, but you're forgetting the other global superstar... wait for the day Madonna's gone. millions and millions of crying women and crying gay guys... how unnerving is that gonna be, huh? lol
Nathalie

Postby Aidan C » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:50 pm

Probably only behind The Beatles and Elvis in terms of stardom. Shocking, surprising, but I can't bring myself to be particularly sad about it. Not my generation I suppose. The irony is, had he been convicted and locked up, he'd still be alive.
Aidan C

Postby Nathalie » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:32 pm

The Beatles and Elvis were white audience stars. The big thing Jackson did was to gather all communities.
Nathalie

Postby Mully » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:50 pm

Nathalie wrote: wait for the day Madonna's gone.

Oh, I'm counting the days, believe me ... Bold Mully !!
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Nathalie » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:14 pm

considering the health freak that she is, be ready to count for a good while.
Nathalie

Postby Andy » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:31 pm

Aidan C wrote:The irony is, had he been convicted and locked up, he'd still be alive.

The fact that there is still so much doubt even though he has been cleared is a shame, but then again, they cleared OJ i suppose.

I don't really give much of a fuck but i'm still upset (yes, over a week later, i can honestly say i'm still upset) at the same time. An awful decline for an amazing man and a great example of how fame and fortune can screw you up. Obviously in this case, his old man, mean old Joe Jackson, is the villain, robbing his son of a childhood for his own gain and as eloquently described in print last week, 'sewing the seeds of self loathing with fists'.

What Michael did to himself as he made the transition from black boy to less black, then eventually white man-boy was a result of this. It was quite strange to watch develop as a child myself and for over ten years now he has looked beyond weird, grotesque even perhaps. For someone who was as self conscious/vain as he was this must have been quite hard to stomach.

Did anyone ever get to see him in Cork or in Dublin when he came here? His support act at Lansdowne Rd were Kris Kross! I wasn't there myself but sure remember the surrounding buzz. I do remember two brothers who were cousins of a family on the road being around a few days after, still high off the experience and still wearing their jackets backwards :)

RIP Michael.
Andy

Postby Nathalie » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:37 pm

in one of his biographies, it says how the father used to tell him he was ugly and all, to the point that he had started to wash himself in the dark, to not see his face (the man) in the mirror. he grew to hate himself basically. at least, what he looked like. I personally don't doubt for one minute that jackson's fucked up mind is not the results of fame but of his father. emotional, verbal and physical abuse from a young age would screw you up forever. but having to endure all that and put up a smile on your face when on stage, it must have been twice harder to deal with (or was stage the only escape he had? the only place where he felt good about himself? possibly). all that said, it doesn't constitute any excuse when it comes to his behaviour with kids. a real shame for his fame.
Nathalie

Next

Return to The BellyBoard