BellX1 Irish Shows in Oct/Nov

Moderator: Eoin

Re: BellX1 Irish Shows in Oct/Nov

Postby leftofthestage » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:05 pm

I'll be there!!!! think I might mix things up a bit and stand on the right hand side.......actually no, I can't do it.....anyone going to see Dave in Tullamore??? missed him in Dublin due to being horribly hungover (on a Tuesday...oh dear), so this is my penance....
leftofthestage

Postby Colm » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:37 am

Another Olympia gig added on December 13:

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/artist/93176 ... rtist_Name
"If all time was but a day,
We'd show up around midnight and say hey"
Colm

Postby Mully » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:50 am

Colm wrote:Another Olympia gig added on December 13:

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/artist/93176 ... rtist_Name

These gigs will be one long office christmas party !
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Colm » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:03 pm

Taken from the Bellies' blog:

"Our guests for the upcoming Irish tour will be Oppenheimer, for all shows with the exception of Dec 13th"
"If all time was but a day,
We'd show up around midnight and say hey"
Colm

Postby evie09 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:20 pm

Bump.

cos I was looking to see who the support are. Is it deffo Oppenheimer? Has anyone seen em, what do you reckon?
evie09

Postby malteaser » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:32 pm

Woohoo it's tonight! :D
malteaser

Postby Eoin » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:00 am

Oppenheimer were great! :)
Eoin

Postby pumpkinking101 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:12 pm

I feel I should nearly apologise to the band for how poor the crowd were last night. The lads did a great set, lovely and varied, everyone had a look in. But the crowd were just dead. I have never seen anything like it. Last two Bellx1 gigs I attended in the point and the RDS were electric, everyone was having a great time, even though the sound in the point was horrendous, everyone still made the most of it. Last night however, despite the intimacy and great sound, three quarters of the crowd didn't seen to know any songs but Great Defector. There were times between songs when all that could be heard were people in the back talking about their week. Then others shushing them. That was quite cringe-worthy. I think for many it may have been a way of avoiding watching the toy show and just going to see a band they heard mentioned on the radio on a friday night.

Obviously no one on here is going to be part of the crowd I speak of. And I don't want to seem like an angry rant-filled person. I had a great time last night, I just wish everyone else did as much as me.

Did anyone else find this?
pumpkinking101

Postby evie09 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:37 pm

I actually found it better than the last vicar st shows which gave me crowd rage there was so much talking.
But I do think there were a lot of bellie-virgins there last night - for example including a whole bunch of friends of friends of mine who had never seen them play before but are now converted I am happy to say! Hopefully they'll go out and buy all the albums now!
I think there's just a culture at the moment here where its ok to talk loudly at gigs. I think its maybe cos the sound at some gigs is so loud that you could be yelling in the ear of the person next to you and they still wouldn't hear you, so at a quieter (partly anyway!) gig they don't know to tone it down a bit.

Did anyone get a setlist? I think I have all the songs but I don't have the order right.
evie09

Postby Eoin » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:44 pm

pumpkinking101 wrote:Did anyone else find this?

Honestly, no. :? I was in the front section, just behind the pit. There was a fair bit of talking but by no means an unprecedented amount in recent years. I didn't hear any shushing at all, and people seemed to love the older songs. Given how early on we had people on here looking for tickets and ticket swapping, it seems unlikely that there were too many people there on a last minute whim.

Also... the sound was very mediocre last night. The Olympia has shitty acoustics for a sound system, always has. Were you at the same gig as me? :P
Eoin

Postby joiyua » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:08 am

Thw crowd was much better today, in my opinion :)
joiyua

Postby swearimnotpaul » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:19 am

First night (27th) setlist:
Setlist:
Ribs of a Broken Umbrella
Reacharound
How Your Heart Is Wired
Bad Skin Day
Next To You (The Way You Make Me Feel interpolation)
My First Born For A Song
Eve, the Apple of My Eye
The Great Defector
Tongue
Flame
Rocky Took A Lover
---
Slowset
Just Like Mister Benn
Allphabet Soup (Once in a Lifetime interpolation)
A Better Band
I See Your Heart and I Raise You Mine >
Do You Realize?

And my review (from here: http://swearimnotpaul.blogspot.com/2009/11/live-review-bell-x1-olympia-theatre-27.html )

Bell x1 played the first of their homecoming gigs at the Olympia Theatre last night and were so much better than every other time I have seen them. Not that they were bad on other occasions, just that they were so good last night. This is a band who have really come into their own and easily sell out Dublin's middle venues on consecutive nights.

I had seen them in Vicar Street earlier this year and they were great, but last night's gig was a masterstroke in performing. Paul Noonan is a marvellous band leader and the rest of the band are equals, especially guitar/harmonica/banjo player David Geraghty. Marc's trousers were a travesty though.

Bell x1 played a mix of everything last night. They weren't supporting the new album Blue Lights on the Runway any longer, and thus could play what they (and the fans liked). Opener 'Ribs of a Broken Umbrella' was a fantastic way to start a show, and led into a tremendous run of songs including 'Reacharound' and 'How Your Heart Is Wired'. 'Bad Skin Day' slowed things down a little, and 'Next to You' featured a nice little tribute to Michael Jackson.

One of the many fan requests they played was an old school 'Eve, the Apple of the Eye' which went down a treat with the large crowd. The biggest cheer followed for 'The Great Defector' which was as fantastic as ever. 'Flame' and 'Rocky Took a Lover' were other fan favourites and 'Rocky' ended the main set perfectly.

The encore was almost as long as the main set and began with 'Slowset' and 'Just Like Mister Benn'. Both songs had been requested by fans on the band's messageboard (the Bellyboard) and went down a treat. Although the drunk gobsheens behind me were talking during 'Mr Benn' and almost got into a fight. Tools. The songs were glorious though.

'Alphabet Soup' was fantastic, as is every song from Music in Mouth - what an album. The Talking Heads tease was lovely too, and a great nod to their major influence. "More cowbell". Paul told us about new Bell X-onesies, which I really have to see. He also wondered whether people would buy one for adults. From the consensus last night, it seems they could be on to a winner.

'A Better Band' brought that requested cowbell, and the night ended with a stunning extended 'I'll See Your Heart and I'll Raise You Mine'. It was a high all the way through, and was probably the gig of the year. Saved the best til last? Definitely
swearimnotpaul

Postby Nathalie » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:09 am

may i say that marc's pants were nothing compared to dave's shirt! and the onesie was certainly a direct reference to our man Mully here. great two gigs. among the best i've seen indeed. and i love the olympia. delighted i saw them there. :D
And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.
Nathalie

Postby Nathalie » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:11 am

Eoin wrote:
Also... the sound was very mediocre last night. The Olympia has shitty acoustics for a sound system, always has. Were you at the same gig as me? :P

there was definitively a difference as i thought the sound tonight (28th) was absolutely brilliant. very clear and sharp. paul's voice above the instruments. but again, i don't have bionic ears like you! :mrgreen:
And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.
Nathalie

Postby whatswiththeangel » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:01 pm

I got a setlist evie, it goes:

Ribs of a Broken Umbrella
My First Born for a Song
Next to you
Bad skin day
How your Heart
The Great Defector
Tongue
Breastfed
Amelia
Flame
Rocky

Encore:
Slowset
Man on Mir

And though it wasn't on the band's setlist, they played Eve last.

It was a great show. Luckily we were up the front so it seems we missed loads of the talking. Still a couple of annoying characters up the front row though :? Not enough to stop me enjoying myself though! :D
Tiptoe through our shiny city
with our diamond slippers on
do our gay ballet on ice
bluebirds on our shoulders
We’re half-awake in a fake empire..
whatswiththeangel

PreviousNext

Return to The BellyBoard