BellX1 Irish Shows in Oct/Nov

Moderator: Eoin

Re: BellX1 Irish Shows in Oct/Nov

Postby swearimnotpaul » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:53 pm

Not sure how to post videos here, but here's 'Mister Benn' from the first night (the 27th):

http://www.youtube.com/v/FDYOcjwb5Qk
swearimnotpaul

Postby Sisunflower » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:10 pm

swearimnotpaul wrote:First night (27th) setlist:
Setlist:
Reacharound
I See Your Heart and I Raise You Mine >

Oh noooo :cry: Why... Why not on Saturday... :(

whatswiththeangel wrote:I got a setlist evie, it goes:

Ribs of a Broken Umbrella
My First Born for a Song
Next to you
Bad skin day
How your Heart
The Great Defector
Tongue
Breastfed
Amelia
Flame
Rocky

Encore:
Slowset
Man on Mir

And though it wasn't on the band's setlist, they played Eve last.

+ Snakes And Snakes :D

This was my first concert of Bell X1 and was fantastic :D Thank You!
Sisunflower

Postby Joanna » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:34 pm

Hello...

Several things.

I didn't know about these gigs AT ALL.

Mully, you live in Belfast now?!

And Eoin is an overlord?

Jaysus, things have changed around here...
Goooood Afternoonan
Joanna

Postby Eoin » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:50 pm

I know, I thought I'd have made Supreme Overlord by now. It's all politics, man.
Eoin

Postby Mully » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:14 pm

Joanna wrote:Hello...

Mully, you live in Belfast now?!

What aboutcha .... Yep, guilty as charged.

Been up here since July ... Me Likes.
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby cliff_moher » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:00 am

we were there on the saturday night. to be honest it was a very average concert. that is not taking anything away from the amazing talent the band have. the set was quite short considering the tickets cost almost €40 (fees and all that craic). we too could hear people talking about their week - sound was too low. the performance lacked the welly that i would've been expecting. it was stop start. they had some of the crowd going for rocky (well there 15 people standing in the circle) and then they stopped. took about 10 minutes for them to come for an encore. people were constantly walking in and out which is a sure sign they the performers don't have the attention of the audience. a bit dissappointing but a great band nonetheless.
cliff_moher

Postby tidal » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:44 pm

Hi all,

I was at the gig on Sat night and was soooo dissapointed. I was at the gig in Vicarstreet earlier this year and read on this forum afterward about "all of the annoying couples who spent all night talking" - I was one of those!!! But I absolutely loved that gig and so, having spent the last few months listening to all manner of Bell X1 songs, went along to the Olympia and now I am them one who feels like having a rant. Seriously, what is with people talking at gigs???? There were a group of people who were locked in front of us and spent all night talking only to jump up and down for Rocky - we're starting to head into Aslan territory with this one!! Anyway, I thought that the music was great but as with V St, the sound was quite low, but I left thinking that I would never go to another Bell X1 gig because I was so pissed off, sorry I didn't appreciate them when I saw them at Malahide Castle.

Rant over, I thnik I'll give it one more shot - thats the way it works isn't it!!!
tidal

Postby Rocky » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:17 pm

Awful lot of ranting going on around here these days....
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
Rocky

Postby cliff_moher » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:17 pm

tidal wrote:Hi all,

I was at the gig on Sat night and was soooo dissapointed. I was at the gig in Vicarstreet earlier this year and read on this forum afterward about "all of the annoying couples who spent all night talking" - I was one of those!!! Seriously, what is with people talking at gigs???? There were a group of people who were locked in front of us and spent all night talking only to jump up and down for Rocky - we're starting to head into Aslan territory with this one!! Anyway, I thought that the music was great but as with V St, the sound was quite low, but I left thinking that I would never go to another Bell X1 gig because I was so pissed off, sorry I didn't appreciate them when I saw them at Malahide Castle.

tida, i think the cause of people talking is a lack of interest in the performer which comes from the performer's vibe on stage. i think the volume has to be loud enough to GRAB peoples attention. i've never heard so much talking at any music i was at before. i think the band are responsible for this one.
cliff_moher

Postby Nathalie » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:04 pm

I would agree that Paul could have interacted a bit more with the crowd but to say that they're responsible for not enticing the crowd, that's ridiculous. Went on the friday and saturday, and was very attentive to the crowd reaction on the saturday. i thought that it was an overall crowd of longish term fans, who knew the old songs as much as the new ones. there was indeed a lot of talking, especially in the back of the standing crowd, the one closer to the bar. but it's totally unfair to say that if noone's there to remind them a gig is on, then it's ok for them to think theyre in a pub with some band playing in the background. question is always the same. why are they here if they don't care about the band? and it's always the same answer. they're there because their mates are going. and they talk because they've been drinking and they're looking for some craic rather than a gig. i've learnt to cut them off (except if they're right besides me) and enjoy the gig because i've learnt that there's nothing you can do about it. that's irish crowd for you. not much respect for artists in general (the talking at gigs is to be matched with the eating at theaters or leaving your seat in the middle of a representation to go for a piss.)
And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.
Nathalie

Postby tidal » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:59 am

Cliff / Natalie,

Easy now!! I was sitting up the back near the bar - prob should've got tickets closer to the stage. Yeah, the Artist / frontman should engage with the audience, but that is recipricol isn't it, Paul was great from what I could see, he is always quite laid back and casual with the audience, and that is why we go to see them, fact is that there were a lot of people there simply to go to a gig and have a chat / beer, as I said above, I have learnt my lesson, will get closer to stage in future.
tidal

Postby Nathalie » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:38 pm

how could you be sitting in the back near the bar? there's no seat downstairs, it's all standing, isn't it?

anyway. next time, come closer to the front indeed. join the cool nerds... :wink:
And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.
Nathalie

Postby Colm » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:22 am

Great gig tonight in the Olympia.

Setlist:
How Your Heart Is Wired
Bad Skin Day
First Born
Ribs Of A Broken Umbrella
Reacharound
The Great Defector
Flame
White Water Song
Beautiful Madness
Amelia
Tongue
Rocky
Encore:
Slowset
Eve
Alphabet Soup (with a bit of Once In A Lifetime thrown in)
I'll See Your Heart (Goin' Back)

Great to hear White Water Song and Reacharound for the first time in a while. Beautiful Madness and Slowset were beautiful (it was just Paul, Dave and Dom for Slowset). Tongue and First Born were great as usual, and I loved Alphabet Soup. Crowd was a bit slow to get going, but obviously they found their voices for the hits. Good mix of old and new songs, missed hearing a few like A Better Band and Snakes & Snakes, but you can't have everything! Paul said it was going to be their last gig for a while. :( He also joked about writing a sequel to Alphabet Soup - something about Paul Gogarty saying "the soup told me to say it!" :lol:
"If all time was but a day,
We'd show up around midnight and say hey"
Colm

Postby stasia_k » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:44 am

Paul said it was going to be their last gig for a while. :(

bummer! but immediately the optimist in me starting thinking, well, at least for the next US tour I'll be better prepared and hopefully in a better location (i.e. Eastern) to follow them a bit.
stasia_k

Postby Maartje » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:10 pm

Last nights concert was good but only booked 30 minutes before the start of the show. (how fancy is that system where they send you a text message and scan it at the door!) So only seats available were on the balcony, row B. And I know now why. Row B has the novelty of being able to look at an iron bar for the entire show! It's in the middle of your view!
Does anyone have any idea what the story is in relation to next years touring schedule? Is there going to be a tour or are they taking it slow for a while? Which would be understandable considering the amount of concerts over the last 12 months.
Maartje

PreviousNext

Return to The BellyBoard