Music Software

Moderator: Eoin

Music Software

Postby Mully » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:17 pm

Maybe you can push me in the right direction ... I only use itunes as a download tool, not for playing music through.

Can you recommend some software to do what I need ... I have all my music sitting on an external drive, that I want to be able to use for playlists, mixes, shuffle etc. without having to synch.

Something similar to the Genesis Program on iTunes, but that only works with what is in your iTunes Library. I don't have a Library.

We got Wireless BB in the house, so its really only now that I'm using my PC for MultiMedia ... I've never really been one to listen to music about the house until now. Never had the chance.
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Re: Music Software

Postby peepingtom » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:33 pm

what hardware are you using? .... personally I store all music on a central pc, and use my ps3/xbox to stream to other rooms.

I'm not sure what you are looking for to be honest .... seems that you wan to play off a portable harddrive and stream it wirelessly??
__________________________________________________________________________________
peepingtom

Postby Mully » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:49 pm

peepingtom wrote: I'm not sure what you are looking for to be honest ....

You could be right.

I hate iTunes as program so don't use it. Simple as.

I keep my music on an external drive, so would want to be able to map the program to the drive, as opposed to keeping on the central computer as you do, It would slow the machine down quite a bit if I copied it over. Basically I have loads more on my drive than I would on my mp3 player, which is my main way of playing music. I just basically want to access the music I have, without having to click on each album/track with Media Player or whatever.

I've no need to be networking it around the house.
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby peepingtom » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:34 pm

Mully wrote:
peepingtom wrote: I'm not sure what you are looking for to be honest ....

You could be right.

I hate iTunes as program so don't use it. Simple as.

I keep my music on an external drive, so would want to be able to map the program to the drive, as opposed to keeping on the central computer as you do, It would slow the machine down quite a bit if I copied it over. Basically I have loads more on my drive than I would on my mp3 player, which is my main way of playing music. I just basically want to access the music I have, without having to click on each album/track with Media Player or whatever.

I've no need to be networking it around the house.

ah right i see .... I might be wrong, but once you plug in your external, then drag into itunes it syncs (ok this will take a while first time around). Unplug your external and the songs stay in itunes ...obviously they wont play because the drive isnt there, but once you plug it back in it should be fine??
This is definitely the case with other folders on a pc, if you move files/folders.

I know you dont like itunes, but other media players should work the same way?
__________________________________________________________________________________
peepingtom

Postby Mully » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:51 pm

I'll give it a lash, Jack
Mully

Postby Eoin » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:31 pm

That should work alright, I've done it with network drives. If wanting to avoid iTunes, MediaMonkey is respectable, and also free.
Eoin

Postby Niftium » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:39 am

I've never tried doing what you want done with it, but I've found that Songbird is finally hitting its stride after starting out like a bloated pig. Support for .flac files is also native, if you're into that thing.
Niftium

Postby Mully » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:15 am

Niftium wrote:I've never tried doing what you want done with it, but I've found that Songbird is finally hitting its stride after starting out like a bloated pig. Support for .flac files is also native, if you're into that thing.

Yeah, A friend reccommended Songbird. Will see how we get on.
Mully

Postby iamian » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:19 am

Give MediaMonkey a try if you don't like itunes:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/

I use it to play the music on my external hard drive, and also to organise my music automatically into the folders and format I like. It's extremely useful.

Only problem is I'm now a mac user who doesn't have the joy of mediamonkey.
iamian

Return to The BellyBoard