Arthur's Day

Moderator: Eoin

Re: Arthur's Day

Postby peepingtom » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:41 am

mixing guinness with anything over than another guinness should be punishable by death
__________________________________________________________________________________
peepingtom

Postby Cat » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:37 pm

What? What?! Who is Arthur? What is going on? I can only think of round tables.
Cat

Postby Eoin » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:43 pm

Arthur Guinness, apparently. It's the latest marketing craze.
Eoin

Postby Mully » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:51 pm

Cat wrote:What? What?! Who is Arthur? What is going on? I can only think of round tables.

Yesterday was the 250th anniversary of the Guinness Brewery opening in Dublin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Guinness

At 27, in 1752, Guinness's godfather Arthur Price, Archbishop of Cashel, bequeathed him £100 in his will. Guinness invested the money and in 1755 had a brewery at Leixlip, just 17 km from Dublin. In 1759, Guinness went to the city and set up his own business. He got a 9,000 year lease on the four-acre brewery at St. James's Gate from Mark Rainsford for an annual rent of £45.
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Mully » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:52 pm

Eoin wrote:Arthur Guinness, apparently. It's the latest marketing craze.

Its sweeping the nation ... I'll be back in Dublin this evening, hopefully there is some left over.

I feel for those debutants last night, they are in for a shock today, dropping Arthurs kids off to the pool :wink:
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Rocky » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:22 pm

Yesterday was Paddys day of Autumn. Great fun. One of the pubs in town is doing the 2.50 promo all weekend
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
Rocky

Postby leftofthestage » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:43 pm

had a great time for Arthur, drank my first full pint of Guinness....and then had my second ever...managed to get tickets for Vicar who had a great lineup, Dizzee Rascals, the Blizzards, the Magic Numbers, Ok-go, Razorlight and Ronnie Wood's son's band with a guest appearance by Ronnie Wood!!!! then headed over to Whelan's and blagged ourselves in to catch the end of Dave Gray....how fab and all on a Thursday night for nine euro! the vibe around the city was great, like everyone decided to take an impromptu holiday...most people went out straight from work to make it for 17.59 and conveniently forgot that they were working the next day....and for what it's worth all the artists played for free and all the money went to charity...
leftofthestage

Postby pigography » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:44 am

Mully wrote:
lilac*mess wrote:Blackcurrant in Guinness?? But Guinness tastes like baked beans... beans and blackcurrent doesn't sound very appealing. Don't listen to him Nathalie, it's got to be a trick.

I'm confused ... I love Guinness, but hate baked beans.

Its not a trick, I promise ... Check out the bottom of this link, black n' black.

Some strange, strange combos here.
http://www.guinntiques.com/blacklist/

There are some weird combinations on that list - blurgh.
However, I have had some tasty cuisine which incorporated Guinness: a hearty beef stew and crispy battered fish fillets. Yum.
"Cos every moment is a Bell X1 moment" - Rocky
Pigography = Sylvia
pigography

Postby Mully » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:06 am

pigography wrote: However, I have had some tasty cuisine which incorporated Guinness: a hearty beef stew and crispy battered fish fillets. Yum.

Guinness Beef Stew is amazing ... Not sure on the Batter Mix though. What colour is it ? Black/dark would be offputting.
Mully

Postby pigography » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:58 am

The batter was a honey brown colour. I think the Guinness was mixed with an eggy mixture.
"Cos every moment is a Bell X1 moment" - Rocky
Pigography = Sylvia
pigography

Previous

Return to The BellyBoard