Arthur's Day

Moderator: Eoin

Arthur's Day

Postby Nathalie » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:36 am

So you green people are celebrating the black stuff today (24th). Anyone going to those mini-gigs organised around dublin?
I can't go to any, but i plan to bring Lucie to the pub at 6 pm and drink a glass of Guinness. Would be my first. She can have a coke with a bit of foam on top. :)
And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.
Nathalie

Re: Arthur's Day

Postby shiv » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:40 am

I've had my first guinness!!! it was out of a can but its all i can do out here.....anyway the guys at the resort have allowed me and the other irish girl here to go overkill so the place is covered with the irish flag and banners for the day complete with a playlist of Irish artists only! i even went so far as to have a pint drawn on my face while i serve behind the bar......should be fun.................
shiv

Postby Rocky » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:02 am

I'm probably just gonna drink vodka from early so that I'll be able to stomach a Guinness at around about 6. The students are really taking to the day as only they know how
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
Rocky

Postby Mully » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:17 am

Pound a pint in Belfast. To Martha !!!

And whats all this talk of first tastes & needed vodka to stomach a guinness.
For shame.

Take me out on the jar today
We'll drink stout and we'll be okay
We might get our holes tonight
We'll get in a fight alright
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Colm » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:48 am

Mully wrote:Pound a pint in Belfast. To Martha !!!

For shame.

Take me out on the jar today
We'll drink stout and we'll be okay
We might get our holes tonight
We'll get in a fight alright

Agreed. A pound a pint? :o To parsnips!
Didn't get tickets for anywhere, I think all the gigs are sold out. :(
"If all time was but a day,
We'd show up around midnight and say hey"
Colm

Postby Nathalie » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:35 am

Mully wrote:
For shame.

:oops: Never drank a full guinness. sorry. i don't like beer to begin with. And Guinness is that special that a few sips is all i've been able to handle. But i shall make an effort this evening. tonight, I will be a true irish gal and a true stoneybatter granny! And Walshes is the place of predilection.
Nathalie

Postby peepingtom » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:17 pm

Nathalie wrote:
Mully wrote:
For shame.

:oops: Never drank a full guinness. sorry. i don't like beer to begin with. And Guinness is that special that a few sips is all i've been able to handle. But i shall make an effort this evening. tonight, I will be a true irish gal and a true stoneybatter granny! And Walshes is the place of predilection.

I wonder will all the other brewers accross the world start doing something like this?

Celebrate Arthurs day ... buy our beer ..... er ok then
__________________________________________________________________________________
peepingtom

Postby Nathalie » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:33 pm

There's no doubt that this is mainly marketing and money driven. But to be honest, the Guinness family has played a very important role in Irish history. For living in Stoneybatter, in a house once owned probably by a Guinness factory worker (without the extension and a team of children), it is ok i think to make an event out of it. An irish equivalent of the likes of Carnegie, Ford, etc. Or Bill Gates for nowadays. crooks with a heart.
Nathalie

Postby Mully » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:26 pm

Nathalie wrote:There's no doubt that this is mainly marketing and money driven. But to be honest, the Guinness family has played a very important role in Irish history. For living in Stoneybatter, in a house once owned probably by a Guinness factory worker (without the extension and a team of children), it is ok i think to make an event out of it. An irish equivalent of the likes of Carnegie, Ford, etc. Or Bill Gates for nowadays. crooks with a heart.

It is indeed a PR caper & pats on the back to all at Saatchi & Saatchi, but sadly Guinness is no more irish than napoleon bonaparte. Its history is linked arm in arm with that of the city for nearly 250yrs, but now its just a subsidy of a Multi-National Corporation, Diageo.

Not that that stops me drinking a pint of plain :lol:
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Nathalie » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:24 pm

had my glass of Guinness in Walshes. drank it fully and quickly enough. and it wasn't very nice. me like vodka.

anyway. To Arthur! And my 15 years living in the country... :)
Nathalie

Postby Niftium » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:58 am

Strange customs. I've done my bit of horizon-widening for the day.
Niftium

Postby Mully » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:04 am

Nathalie wrote:had my glass of Guinness in Walshes. drank it fully and quickly enough. and it wasn't very nice. me like vodka.

& this is why women add a dash of blackcurrent. 15yrs in Ireland, yet there are something you still need an irish mammy to tell you :wink:
Mully

Postby lilac*mess » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:32 am

Blackcurrant in Guinness?? But Guinness tastes like baked beans... beans and blackcurrent doesn't sound very appealing. Don't listen to him Nathalie, it's got to be a trick.
remember your raincoat
lilac*mess

Postby joiyua » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:37 am

i knooow. it does sound weird, but I need to try it some time anyway :D
joiyua

Postby Mully » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:59 am

lilac*mess wrote:Blackcurrant in Guinness?? But Guinness tastes like baked beans... beans and blackcurrent doesn't sound very appealing. Don't listen to him Nathalie, it's got to be a trick.

I'm confused ... I love Guinness, but hate baked beans.

Its not a trick, I promise ... Check out the bottom of this link, black n' black.

Some strange, strange combos here.
http://www.guinntiques.com/blacklist/
Mully

Next

Return to The BellyBoard