Hope won!

Moderator: Eoin

Hope won!

Postby Nathalie » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:41 pm

he's far from perfect but it's still good to have, for once, a bit of political passion for a leader. Nice to find one that can make you dream of a better future...

Congratulations to Barack Hussein Obama for receiving the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize!
And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.
Nathalie

Re: Hope won!

Postby Eoin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:50 pm

Yeah, it seems a little premature though.
Eoin

Postby Nathalie » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:05 pm

if you consider the prize to be given at the end of a career. I think it is important also to support ongoing trends. And he's one of the main political forces this year. He operated quite a sharp turn in just a few months, a turn that was highly necessary as we were pretty much reaching a point of no return with the Middle-East (thanks to Bush's catastrophic politics on the matter).
So yes, it might be a bit premature but it remains justified.

Laughing here though because i'd say Sarko is green with envy and red of jealousy right now... but hey, he's no new Kennedy!
Nathalie

Postby Eoin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:40 pm

Well, not the end of a career as such, and I do think Obama has been great. But it would make more sense to give it to him next year after - I dunno - some nuclear weapons have actually been dismantled or something.

Sarkozy, to be fair, interceded in the Russian-Georgian conflict and helped bring about a ceasefire.
Eoin

Postby lilac*mess » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:31 pm

Nathalie wrote:He operated quite a sharp turn in just a few months, a turn that was highly necessary as we were pretty much reaching a point of no return with the Middle-East (thanks to Bush's catastrophic politics on the matter).

I wonder what you mean by that. What kind of turn, and what has he done to achieve it? I can't see any significant difference between now and this time last year.
remember your raincoat
lilac*mess

Postby Nathalie » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:13 pm

He's approaching the middle-east with a complete different attitude. He's trying the diplomatic way as opposed to the military one. And the turning point of that is the Cairo speech of June 09.
Nathalie

Postby lilac*mess » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:04 am

I'm less convinced by the guy. I think he's very good at talking the talk, but his walk has a very similar gait to the former administration. He's always reminded me a lot of Tony Blair, he's something of a 'New Democrat', if you like. Noam Chomsky has been very critical of the Obama administration from the beginning, drawing interesting comparisons between Obama's foreign policy and that of the Bush administration (one of his most recent articles http://www.chomsky.info/articles/20091006.htm).

Domestically, I don't know, the black thing alone has to be good in some ways for such a racially divided country, but I don't see any great new hope elsewhere. Certainly not of Peace Prize proportions.
remember your raincoat
lilac*mess

Postby Rocky » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:26 am

Noam Chomsky is awesome
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
Rocky

Postby peepingtom » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:16 am

there bloody giving the things out like sweets these days
__________________________________________________________________________________
peepingtom

Postby Nathalie » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

right. i agree, the guy is not Jesus Christ. that said, it's a strong message towards the muslim world and i believe it is important to do so now. Plus, yes, i do like obama in a complete partial way.

also, i remember reading once that the nomination of winners was influenced by who was giving money (to be given to the winners). and surprise surprise, there are a lot of american companies giving that money... it's always the same shit, huh?
Nathalie

Postby Peter » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:24 pm

Nathalie wrote:He's approaching the middle-east with a complete different attitude. He's trying the diplomatic way as opposed to the military one. And the turning point of that is the Cairo speech of June 09.

He's currently engaging in military manouvers with the Israeli army. That's not such a great signal of this completetly different attitude to the mid-east
Peter

Postby Nathalie » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:42 am

well, between the ongoing colonization by the Israelis, the talibans gettting closer to the pakistanese nuclear bomb, 1 billion of people starving on our planet, and the capitalists back on the market (recession didn't last too long for them!), i choose to grab the hope Obama embodies. bunch of pessimistic young people. meh.
Nathalie

Postby peepingtom » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:01 pm

Nathalie wrote:well, between the ongoing colonization by the Israelis, the talibans gettting closer to the pakistanese nuclear bomb, 1 billion of people starving on our planet, and the capitalists back on the market (recession didn't last too long for them!), i choose to grab the hope Obama embodies. bunch of pessimistic young people. meh.

Not trying to be funny here, but are peace prizes won on mere hope now?
__________________________________________________________________________________
peepingtom

Postby Nathalie » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:47 pm

i agree it was a symbolic prize more than anything. As such, he hasn't done enough to justify winning it. But i do believe the world is at a crossroad and that it is important to try the "friendly" way rather than the military one. Obama represents that. I think (hope) he's gonna try and apply that way if possible. even a little bit. but he's not a saint. he will engage in military action if necessary. and he's not a magician and he can't change everything overnight. but at least, there's been a change of method and discourse which was badly needed.
Nathalie

Return to The BellyBoard