Amsterdam gig clashing with Ireland match

Moderator: Eoin

Amsterdam gig clashing with Ireland match

Postby caoimh35 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:07 pm

Im going to Amsterdam to see the lads play on Wed 18th November. The gig according to the venue's website is at 8pm which is the kick-off time
for the 2nd leg of the World Cup qualifier match between Ireland and France. Would the band consider performing at 10 rather than 8 if the venue would
facilitate as Im sure some of the band may wish to watch it also.
Last edited by caoimh35 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
caoimh35

Re: Amsterdam gig clashing with Ireland match

Postby Mully » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:28 pm

Its a possibility, but really is the venues decision.

I remember for the 05 Ch Lge Final, the famous comeback from Liverpool vs Milan, I skipped the match & went to see Dave play in Whelans. The band stayed in the bar watching the game go on & on & on & on to penos ... It felt like forever being in the venue waiting for them to come on.
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Maartje » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:58 pm

Hmmm, as the venue has no links to Ireland as such and the majority of the audience will be Dutch I don't think they'll consider your request. Being Dutch myself, I know we can be a bit stiff if it comes to making changes, haha.Good luck!
Maartje

Postby caoimh35 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:45 am

Fingers crossed the venue will be showing the match in the bar which may increase the likelihood of playing later.
caoimh35

Postby Eoin » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:03 am

Hmm, it'd be pretty shitty for someone who shows up for the gig on time and isn't able to stay late though. Changing details of a gig after announcing it and/or putting tickets on sale is bad form tbh. You know what your options are, so just make a choice. :) If the match is that important, then skip the gig and catch the guys another time. If it's not, then stick an oul tape in the video. ;)
Eoin

Postby Aidan C » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:50 am

Like Mully said, though, it might be hard to pry the band away from the screen! Most important match we've played in seven and a half years. But then, it is a Dutch venue with a Dutch crowd. So really there's no reason why it shouldn't be moved. I'd skip the gig in a heartbeat. No offence Bellies...
Aidan C

Postby fontana » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:11 am

I think the real issue here is:

Who the hell arranged a gig for the night Ireland were going to be playing a World Cup play off? :?

p.s Won't someone please think of the children!
While we're on the subject, can we change the subject now?
fontana

Postby Nathalie » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:21 am

I would imagine that the gig had been organised before anyone knew you'd be in that situation. And what a situation...
May the spirits of Platini and Zidane inspire my boys!! (And i mean the ones in blue). Ole, Ole, Ole, Ole.... tut tut tut! :mrgreen:
And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.
Nathalie

Postby Rocky » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:49 pm

Nathalie wrote:I would imagine that the gig had been organised before anyone knew you'd be in that situation. And what a situation...
May the spirits of Platini and Zidane inspire my boys!! (And i mean the ones in blue). Ole, Ole, Ole, Ole.... tut tut tut! :mrgreen:

Boo Hiss Boo. Down with this sort of thing. We'll have none of that talk here. Come on ye boys in green etc
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
Rocky

Postby fontana » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:03 am

Rocky wrote:
Nathalie wrote:I would imagine that the gig had been organised before anyone knew you'd be in that situation. And what a situation...

Boo Hiss Boo. Down with this sort of thing. We'll have none of that talk here. Come on ye boys in green etc

While we're on the subject, can we change the subject now?
fontana

Postby Andy » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:13 am

Hey Caoimhe, i'd be interested to hear what transpired. Fred did this in Dublin that night, had their gig time changed for after the game, that is. I watched it in Manchester after attending the final of Countdown (as broadcast there last week) which although quite boring sounding i found pretty exciting. The match was quite a comedown.
Andy

Postby Andy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:52 am

That's what i thought alright.
Andy

Return to The BellyBoard