fabulous roman candles explode like candles across the sky,

Moderator: Eoin

fabulous roman candles explode like candles across the sky,

Postby OxY » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:52 am

Hi,

Big bellx1 fan for very long time but, but, but,

you cant ignore the number of lyrics stolen, just cant, from leonard cohen's all the tea in china to more obscure fabulous Roman candles explode like candle across the sky, never mind the taling heads overlap, not ood enough,

questions everywhere, credibility goes bye bye
OxY

Re: fabulous roman candles explode like candles across the sky,

Postby OxY » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:57 am

dont be shy to reply, fabulous roman candles explode like candles across the sky and all the tea in china, two big ones, gone with the wind
OxY

Postby OxY » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:59 am

sorry spiders
OxY

Postby Nathalie » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:04 am

not shy at all. proof is that i would bet my cacks that if you deeply study cohen's lyrics, you'll find out that he himself had been inspired by someone/something else. taking a piece and make your own out of it, there' s nothing new about that when it comes to art in general. it's like cheating at football, they all do it. so i really don't understand why you're so surprised and, what it seems, a bit disgusted. enjoy what you're being offered, because it's damn good music from a very credible and genuine band. and yes, i'm a big longish term fan too. :wink:
And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.
Nathalie

Postby OxY » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:12 am

Always love your passion on here natalie, but, cant excuse the use of fabulous roman candles explodes like spiders across the skys, sorry, i'm gutted at that, dont mind musical adaptations or improvisations, but not that, sorry, 20 gigs attended, gone,
OxY

Postby Nathalie » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:18 am

i'm not literate enough to spot the references. and it seems indeed that it is something that Paul likes doing. but i don't think that he abuses it that much that you can deny him any talent when it comes to lyrics writing. could be wrong because i don't know the guy personally (you'd think but no) but i'd say he is well read and witty and it transpires in his texts. i don't buy the idea that he heavily steals from others. anyway. this is not a night for argument but for celebration. to a better band that has never failed to be there, for me and hopefully for you too. To the Kildare Kings!
Nathalie

Postby OxY » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:24 am

I guess you're right, finding that one surprised me,

rant over,
OxY

Postby Nathalie » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:30 am

D7 hugs. and french kisses too. i know, tonight it's just christmas up here! :wink:
Nathalie

Postby evie09 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:11 pm

Nathalie wrote:and it seems indeed that it is something that Paul likes doing. but i don't think that he abuses it that much that you can deny him any talent when it comes to lyrics writing. could be wrong because i don't know the guy personally (you'd think but no) but i'd say he is well read and witty and it transpires in his texts.

Agreed!
and in addition:
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. If a band sticks in bits of other people's songs they like while playing live, and aren't shy about it, I'd imagine there isn't a conspiracy going on to hide the stuff that's come from somewhere else in their own songs. I think Paul's always been pretty open in interviews and indeed in his lyrics about his influences. There's been discussions on here before about 'Music in mouth' etc but maybe more people are familiar with Leonard Cohen quotes than Austin Clarke poems. Also there's a whole school of literary theory about 'intertextuality' which is all about how large chunks of literature comes from somewhere else, in the form of quotes, copied lines, copied ideas etc etc. Shakespeare did it, James Joyce did it so why not our own Mr Noonan? It's a huge part of all modern film, music, tv shows, novels etc. Here is a good example you may enjoy! ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Of_Mice_an ... ar_culture

whaddaya want? footnotes in the lyrics sheets in the album cover? Paul to do finger-quotes in the middle of singing to signify he wasn't the first person to string those words together that way?

It's actually one of my favourite things about BellX1 lyrics. So there. Rant (back) over!
evie09

Postby jerry lee » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:23 pm

what the fuck? is it just me or is the main driver of this post, about lyrics and use of the english language, incapable of writing coherently? an illiterate literary debate?
jerry lee

Postby Mully » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:01 pm

OxY wrote:Hi,

Big bellx1 fan for very long time but, but, but,

you cant ignore the number of lyrics stolen, just cant, from leonard cohen's all the tea in china to more obscure fabulous Roman candles explode like candle across the sky, never mind the taling heads overlap, not ood enough,

questions everywhere, credibility goes bye bye

3 posts in 7mins, at 2o'c in the morning ... Not surprising there was no-one about to reply.

I don't see your point, caller ... You're a long time fan, yet you only come around now to complain about songs that are years old.

The exploding yellow roman candles ... I can only speak for myself, but I love little reference points like this. I doubt I would have read Karouak without that signpost in Beautiful Madness, and sure if the shoe fits, regarding the way Paul wanted to descibe a situation & he couldn't better the Karouak line, then why not use it ? At least he is not claiming it to be his own.

Music, Film & Literature walk hand in hand flirting between them. Along the way, they have always had knowing winks & nods to eachother.
Last edited by Mully on Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Eoin » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:46 pm

"That come all the way from China" is not a unique phrase to begin with, so it really can't be construed as being at all related. Even if that sentence was distinctive in some way, it's used as a very plain witticism in Next to You. In Leonard Cohen's Suzanne, the usage doesn't play on words at all - let alone in the same way.

Whereas the "fabulous Roman candles" etc. is so clearly a unique phrase that it would be ridiculous to argue that it's anything but a deliberate reference.

Paul Noonan's lyrics have always been characterised by the use of literary and lyrical references. If you're suddenly outraged to be discovering this, perhaps it's stemming more from embarrassment that the references have been going over your head all this time?
Eoin

Postby Rocky » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:31 pm

All these references are one of the main reasons why I like Bellx1 one. Them and the witty one liners too. If you feel so strongly about these references then I really can't understand why you're a fan at all. But good luck with that
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
Rocky

Postby evie09 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:28 am

Mully wrote: Music, Film & Literature walk hand in hand flirting between them. Along the way, they have always had knowing winks & nods to eachother.

Dare one say even, the wink and elbow language of delight?
And I mean that in at least 3 possible ways that I can think of right now :)
evie09

Return to The BellyBoard