Up to Now - Snow Patrol
No Line On The Horizon - U2

Best Irish Live Performance

Bell X1
Christy Moore
The Script
Snow Patrol
U2

Not too confident of them winning any of them to be honest, U2 bound to be the default winners of at least 2 of them :evil:

No Line On The Horizon was a horrific piece of work and shouldn't even be on that list. I would have put David Kitt's "The Nightsaver" on there well before it.
"I'm love me, love me, love me, i'm a small bit of a prick, i got the meat sweats from this real politic"
trickster

Re: Bellies nominated for 3 Meteor Awards 2010

Postby Mully » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:16 pm

trickster wrote:
Not too confident of them winning any of them to be honest, U2 bound to be the default winners of at least 2 of them

No Line On The Horizon was a horrific piece of work and shouldn't even be on that list. I would have put David Kitt's "The Nightsaver" on there well before it.

Yeah, would have them down for Best Band & Live Perfomance, purely on a numbers game ... Album is winnable for Blue Lights ... Bellies have had a good year on the live circuit as well as media appearances & just getting the face about.

Any other year, I'd see Snowpatrol as a threat, but that album as been a non event.

I'm sure the Coronas will have some Facebook Group texting away to give them a cleansweep ... Thankfully, we are above that malarky !
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby stasia_k » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:26 am

When are these awards? I'm not familiar with some of the other bands, just U2 and Snowpatrol... in any case, Blue Lights deserves to win best album! Let U2 have one or both of the other categories, but I can't believe the showing No Line on the Horizon got in some American lists... but lists are overrated, right?
stasia_k

Postby pigography » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:00 am

Mully wrote:Any other year, I'd see Snowpatrol as a threat, but that album as been a non event.

It's all their old stuff - why is it even being considered?
"Cos every moment is a Bell X1 moment" - Rocky
Pigography = Sylvia
pigography

Postby Mully » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:18 pm

stasia_k wrote:I'm not familiar with some of the other bands

Delorentos are worth looking up ...

http://www.myspace.com/delorentos
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Mully » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:44 pm

pigography wrote:
Mully wrote:Any other year, I'd see Snowpatrol as a threat, but that album as been a non event.

I'm just copping this now is their Best Of ... God Lord, that just smacks of desperation from Meteor.

You'd swear it was a terrible year for Irish music, then you read something like this which gives you back your faith.
http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/onthere ... 99s-money/
Mully

Postby Colm » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:28 pm

Mully wrote:
pigography wrote:

I'm just copping this now is their Best Of ... God Lord, that just smacks of desperation from Meteor.

You'd swear it was a terrible year for Irish music, then you read something like this which gives you back your faith.
http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/onthere ... 99s-money/

Ridiculous having the Snow Patrol best of on there.
Much more interested in seeing the Choice nominations tomorrow, a lot of good contenders imo.
"If all time was but a day,
We'd show up around midnight and say hey"
Colm

Postby Mully » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:20 pm

Choice Nominees are;

And So I Watch You From Afar “And So I Watch You From Afar”
Bell X1 “Blue Lights On The Runway”
Codes “Trees Dream in Algebra”
Adrian Crowley “Season of the Sparks”
Dark Room Notes “We Love You Dark Matter”
The Duckworth Lewis Method “The Duckworth Lewis Method”
Julie Feeney “Pages”
Valerie Francis “Slow Dynamo”
Laura Izibor “Let The Truth Be Told”
The Swell Season “Strict Joy”

I got 7 of them correct. Ah well ...
Mully

Postby Colm » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Mully wrote:Choice Nominees are;

And So I Watch You From Afar “And So I Watch You From Afar”
Bell X1 “Blue Lights On The Runway”
Codes “Trees Dream in Algebra”
Adrian Crowley “Season of the Sparks”
Dark Room Notes “We Love You Dark Matter”
The Duckworth Lewis Method “The Duckworth Lewis Method”
Julie Feeney “Pages”
Valerie Francis “Slow Dynamo”
Laura Izibor “Let The Truth Be Told”
The Swell Season “Strict Joy”

I got 7 of them correct. Ah well ...

Not bad going.
A few surprising omissions for me, not least The Victory Dance, You Can Make Sound by Delorentos and The Nightsaver by David Kitt. The Bellies have to be in with a shout going by some of the judges (They clearly have Tony Fenton's vote), but Paddy Power have made them 7/2 favourites, which probably rules them out.
http://www.paddypower.com/bet/novelty-b ... ids=223722
"If all time was but a day,
We'd show up around midnight and say hey"
Colm

Postby Mully » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:23 am

I think the Bellies are in with a really good shout this year. I think ASIWYFA are a good outside bet, but looking at the judges, I can only see the winner being not so leftfield.

By the by, Question for a Canamerican readers ... I presume its baseball related, what is the origins of leftfield being the unknown or unseen ?
Mully

Postby Aidan C » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:32 pm

The Bambino. When Babe Ruth was playing (as a right fielder) the rush was for the seats on that side, to get a good look at the legend in action. So only the oddballs, or the leftovers, took seats at the left field.
Aidan C

Postby Eoin » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:10 pm

Really? That seems like an anti-climax. :)
Eoin

Postby Aidan C » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:52 pm

I know! But there's probably loads of explanations, that's just the one I was told while at a Giants match last year. You can make up your own if you like. For instance, I hereby declare that it's actually football-related. Players who operate on the left of the field are left-footed, and therefore probably left-handed. And left-handed people are said to be more artistic and eccentric. So the left field is full of them!
Aidan C

Postby Mully » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:09 am

Aidan C wrote:Players who operate on the left of the field are left-footed, and therefore probably left-handed. And left-handed people are said to be more artistic and eccentric. So the left field is full of them!

I'm left footed, but kinda ambidextrous with my hands as it depends what I'm doing (oh er matron) ... e.g. I'm a right handed Darts player, but a left handed snooker player.

It would seem my left/right side conflict of the brain is really a conflict !!
Mully

Postby peepingtom » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:16 pm

im left footed and right handed .... its a sweet left peg too ... even if i do say so myself :) .... im currently actively conditioning the little lads left peg also .... everyone loves a lefty!
__________________________________________________________________________________
peepingtom

Next

Return to The BellyBoard