music on the isle

Moderator: Eoin

music on the isle

Postby trvl52c » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:03 pm

g'mornin all. (eastern standard time)

i am beginning to plan a trip to Ireland in september and would love a little input on local
music venues, bands or festivals. i am probably going to to do a self guided tour - about 9 or 10 days - and
need some inside info on whether or not i should try to drive (opposite side of the road), do locals take in
travelers for a minimal fee and how else can i get around if i don't get a car?
i am hoping to catch bell x1 on their home turf so if you have inside info fess up!
i am new to these boards so thanks for any help.
chris
trvl52c

Re: music on the isle

Postby Nathalie » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:21 am

hi Chris. welcome to a relatively quiet bellyboard.
I ain't Oirish but have lived on the green island for 15 years. i wouldn't bother trying to drive. you might have a hard time handling being on the other side of the road while driving a car that has a lot of things reversed (gears, lights. but also, you have to smoke with your left hand to easily reach the ashtray. painful.). basically, a lot of stress while the bus system is quite reliable and cheap to travel from one town to the other. as for staying with the locals, i don't know about that. Rocky, what you people are up to nowadays on that respect?
And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.
Nathalie

Postby Nathalie » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:24 am

And music wise, surely some well informed people around here will tell you. what do you listen to bar the bellies?
Nathalie

Postby Mully » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:43 am

I'm not Oirish & I've lived here all my live :wink:

I would go along with Nath as regards the bus, service is pretty decent for the major towns, but it does naturally become less so when needing the local services. Multitrip tickets are available for tourists (see below) but check compared to normal tickets when you get here as it may be cheaper depending on how much travelling you are planning to do. Trains are pretty expensive here in comparison to buses & generally have limited routes.

Hostels are cheap enough here esp for the single traveller, plus they are a good source of information/organisation for day trips etc. General rule of thumb, everything is more expensive in Dublin.

Like Nath said, regarding music, it really depends what you are into, but Sept is a long way away so the listings won't be available. Alot of Pubs do trad music & s/s during the week, but for some Rock and/or Roll music, the cities & larger towns have decent little venues so check into this in August, you may get lucky. This also applies for festivals, the local smaller ones have yet to be announced, but the Electric Picnic is in early Sept which the Bellies played last year.

Some helpful links.
http://www.irishrail.ie/
http://www.buseireann.ie/
http://www.buseireann.ie/bubble.php?id=71

http://www.hostelireland.com/

http://entertainment.ie/going-out/
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby trvl52c » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:04 pm

thank you soooo much. how i plan the trip was dependent on whether or not i drove so now i
can proceed forward.
as far as music, i am more of an alternative girl. i grew up with rock & roll (am on the older side)
but don't listen to old music music much. love to explore new bands with melody music (no rap) and
the smaller venues are really the way to go. the one band i travel for breaks those rules, but i always
get such great seats for the shows that i can't resist. that would be the dave matthews band. best
way to appreciate that band is live and i am usually in the 1st 10 rows (fan club seniority) so i take it.
some of my favorites of late...
gomez
death cab for cutie
snow patrol (been listening from the beginning)
pilot speed (canadian)

i live in michigan, usa, across the river from canada. the canadians have a lot of good music. and hockey.
thanks again for the input!
chris
trvl52c

Postby Mully » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:01 am

trvl52c wrote:
pilot speed (canadian)

i

Will check these guys out ... Been listening to alot of Canadian bands in the last few years.

catching bands here will be very much like rolling a dice. Hope you get lucky.

DMB are hitting Dublin in March. I'm not a fan, but was tempted to go because Alberta Cross are supporting ... Luckily they've announced their own show in Belfast for a fraction of the cost. The border finally serves a purpose !!
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Rocky » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:30 am

Mully wrote: Hope you get lucky.

Alright Mully, that's enough of that.

Thanks for referring the case onto me Nath about whether people take in "drifters". Truthfully I don't know. I'm pretty sure you would have to strike it very lucky or else have a very thick neck to ask. Given the way things are though nowadays it's not the best option. If you're staying in big towns or cities then you're better off to go with hostels as Mully said. For out in the country B n Bs are the way to go I'd assume. They should be fairly reasonably priced and you get breakfast in the morning. I can't say that I can help you out much more than that I'm afraid
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
Rocky

Postby Nathalie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:50 am

Rocky wrote:Thanks for referring the case onto me Nath about whether people take in "drifters".

well, isn't that what people do in the countryside? you know the way there's always some space in the shed for a bed, and some tea or soup ready on the stove. Us urban people are very individual and we don't even talk to our neighbours. but the friendliness and hosting reputation of peasants is well known, non? :wink:
Nathalie

Postby lilac*mess » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:04 am

I am in no way endorsing or recommending this, but there is such a thing as Couch Surfing http://www.couchsurfing.org/index.html which would be a free way to stay, for the particularly adventurous/mental :D
remember your raincoat
lilac*mess

Postby trvl52c » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:08 pm

i have actually been on the couch surfing site. my daughter (free spirit that she is) has used them thru the USA and
Europe. i am less inclined to do that for myself altho i think it's a great idea.

re: pilot speed - the newest release, "wooden bones" is a really fine effort. you may also appreciate a band from
montreal called 'city & colour'. and another canadian group that is great fun in concert plays traditional folk
(read irish style) music from St Johns Bay. they are Great Big Sea.

again, thanks to all for your great suggestions and will keep u abreast ( :D ) of my travel plan discoveries.

chris

anyone on facebook?
trvl52c

Return to The BellyBoard