Choice Music Prize

Moderator: Eoin

Re: Choice Music Prize

Postby Colm » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:02 am

Yet again, this produces a surprise, Jape won for the second time! Even Richie sounded genuinely surprised. The lads played Hey Anna Lena and Velcro, fine performance.
"If all time was but a day,
We'd show up around midnight and say hey"
Colm

Postby Rocky » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:11 pm

I forgot it was on and tuned into the stream for the Lisa Hannigan interview and caught the lads. I was very surprised too even though I know very little about Jape. Saw them supporting the lads once and wasn't overly impressed. I wouldn't care if it wasn't the second time for them to win. If they are trying to pick surprise winners (which it seems they are) why not spread it around a little?
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
Rocky

Postby Colm » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:24 pm

In fairness, Jape's album is very good and at least as good as the last one that won imo even if Richie's vocals can be ropy live at times. One of several albums on the shortlist I thought would have been a worthy winner, but the reason I never saw it coming was that it came so soon after Ritual.
Colm

Postby Mully » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:17 pm

Colm wrote:One of several albums on the shortlist I thought would have been a worthy winner

True. Irish music is in danger of being seen in strong health. Its been a while.
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Colm » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:32 pm

Really delighted for Delorentos winning the Choice last night.
Been a fan since seeing them support the Bellies back in 2006 and Little Sparks is defnitely their best album yet.
Colm

Postby Eoin » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:28 am

Colm wrote:Really delighted for Delorentos winning the Choice last night.
Been a fan since seeing them support the Bellies back in 2006 and Little Sparks is defnitely their best album yet.

I was not a fan when I saw them supporting BellX1 in Galway in 2006, but it's been a while - must check them out again.
Eoin

Previous

Return to The BellyBoard