[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The BellyBoard • View topic - Choice Music Prize

Choice Music Prize

Moderator: Eoin

Choice Music Prize

Postby Rocky » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:48 pm

I realise it's way too late to be doing this and that no one will be online but who's your money on? I have no idea but there's very few I wouldn't like to win I think
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
Rocky

Re: Choice Music Prize

Postby Colm » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:10 am

So, Adrian Crowley won. As usual, I couldn't have called it, it could have gone to any of the nominees, although the Bellies were never likely to win in their absence - they're on the plane to America, apparently! Was listening to it on Today FM and Crowley sounded genuinely surprised to win. Fair play to him, he sounds very down to earth and modest.
"If all time was but a day,
We'd show up around midnight and say hey"
Colm

Postby Rocky » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:19 am

To be fair to him he is very good but I wouldn't have called it either. Having said that it's very easy to look back and say that it was a tad obvious that he was the one who needed it most. Forget the 2 absentees and the 2 previous winners and you're down to 6. Swell Season are too well known and Codes probably will be too so that narrowed it a fair bit. And Crowley was nominated before too
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
Rocky

Postby Colm » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:25 am

Yeah, fair point, the publicity will do him good. For what it's worth, the Bellies won the listeners' vote, which I think they won back in '05 as well.
Colm

Postby Mully » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:32 am

"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby shiv » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:19 pm

It was a lovely night overall......duckworth lewis method were alot of fun, the clips were good (noonans joke getting all the laughs), alison curtis was cool, swell season were amazing (complete with leonard cohens guitarist) and i may get adrian crowlys album to see what i think. For the 2007 choice it was an amazing night but i left outraged! Last night i was a little disappointed and though he gave a good performance, he had to follow the swell season and it wasn't a natural progression.........But he was very overwhelmed and genuine so i didn't mind. I'll likely go again next year......
shiv

Postby Mully » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:16 am

The long list (as it stands) is up at the moment for the 2011 Prize.

Also, note organiser/compère/allround good guy Jim Carroll is handing over to Tony Clayton-Lea.

http://choicemusicprize.com/2010-albums-list.html
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Colm » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:42 pm

So, what does everyone make of this year's shortlist?

Adebesi Shank “This is the Second Album of a band called Adebisi Shank”
The Cast of Cheers “Chariot”
Cathy Davey “The Nameless” Fight Like Apes “The Body of Christ & The Legs of Tina Turner”
Halves “It Goes, It Goes (Forever & Ever)”
Imelda May “Mayhem”
James Vincent McMorrow “Early in The Morning”
O Emperor “Hither Thither”
Two Door Cinema Club “Tourist History”
Villagers “Becoming a Jackal”

A strong list imo, but it couldn't not be after the year Irish music had. There was always going to be a few left out but I'm very disappointed there was no room for Ham Sandwich (again!) or The Flaws.

Villagers have to be favourites and their odds are already down to 2/1, but you just never know with the Choice (see SEBP and The Divine Comedy)!
Colm

Postby shiv » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:58 pm

i agree....would have liked to have seen Ham Sandwich there.
But I still got my ticket.....hopefully most will be performing and its always a good night even though I never agree with the winner. I have none of the winning albums in fact.
I'd love to see Cathy Davey get it
shiv

Postby Colm » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:08 am

Two Door Cinema Club won it. Didn't expect that, but in fairness, it's a great album imo.
My perfect record at predicting the winner (none from six) continues!
Colm

Postby shiv » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:50 pm

this is the first time I actually owned a winning album. Villagers and Cathy Davey were fantastic as were O Emperor. Really enjoyed the acoustic set by Two Door Cinema Club and they were deserving winners.........
I've given up trying to predict it.......
shiv

Postby Colm » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:48 pm

So Bloodless Coup got nominated - third time lucky for Bell X1 maybe? :)
Very strong shortlist I think. I'm very surprised The Minutes aren't there and I would also like to have seen Squarehead, Land Lovers and Fionn Regan nominated but there ain't room for everyone!

Full shortlist:

And So I Watch You From Afar – Gangs (Richter Collective)
Bell X1 – Bloodless Coup (Belly Up Records)
Cashier No. 9 – To The Death Of Fun (Bella Union)
Lisa Hannigan - Passenger (Hoop Records)
The Japanese Popstars – Controlling Your Allegiance (EMI)
Jape – Ocean of Frequency (Music Is For Losers)
Patrick Kelleher & His Cold Dead Hands – Golden Syrup (Osaka Records)
Pugwash – The Olympus Sounds (EMI/1969 Records)
Tieranniesaur – Tieranniesaur (Popical Island)
We Cut Corners – Today I Realised I Could Go Home Backwards (Delphi)
Colm

Postby Rocky » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:18 pm

I have only heard two of these albums but I very much intend on checking a few more out before it's announced. Goes to show that I listen to no new music any more. Most years I would have six or seven of the top 10 when it's announced. Any that don't deserve to be there that I shouldn't listen to anyone?
Rocky

Postby Colm » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:15 pm

It's a pretty diverse list, so you mightn't like everything on it, but I genuinely don't think there's a bad album in the ten.
Colm

Postby Colm » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:20 pm

Voting for Song Of The Year closes this Sunday.

Nominees:

•Bell X1 – Velcro
•Cashier No 9 – Goldstar
•The Coronas – Addicted to Progress
•Lisa Hannigan – Knots
•The Kanyu Tree – Radio
•Little Green Cars – The John Wayne
•Royseven – We Should be Lovers
•Maverick Sabre – Let Me Go
•Snow Patrol – Called Out In the Dark
•This Club – I Won’t Worry