Neither Am I - 10yr Anniversary

Moderator: Eoin

Neither Am I - 10yr Anniversary

Postby Mully » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:49 pm

Are there any plans ?

I think a cool idea would be an Irish tour of only playing NAI (& its Bsides), in the venues they played 10yrs ago ... Whelans, Roisins, De Barras, Spirit Store, The Lobby, McGonigles, Dolans, Auntie Annes etc.

Note: I'm not actually sure if these venues are still open.
Last edited by Mully on Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Re: Neither Am I - 10yr Anniversary

Postby Nathalie » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:53 pm

yeah! and that would include former band members, right? :wink:
And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.
Nathalie

Postby Mully » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:09 pm

Nathalie wrote:yeah! and that would include former band members, right? :wink:

Of course. Binzer on drums as you wish :P
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Colm » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:03 pm

Mully wrote:Are there any plans ?

I think a cool idea would be an Irish tour of only playing NAI (its Bsides), in the venues they played 10yrs ago ... Whelans, Roisins, De Barras, Spirit Store, The Lobby, McGonigles, Dolans, Auntie Annes etc.

Note: I'm not actually sure if these venues are still open.

Cool idea indeed. I'm pretty sure they're all still open except McGonagle's and The Lobby.
"If all time was but a day,
We'd show up around midnight and say hey"
Colm

Postby Andy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:13 pm

The Lobby is sadly gone, but after a brief stint as a fake tapas bar that temporarily trendied up this hallowed space and predictably bombed, some cool guys have taken it over and turned it into a tapas sort of place with an Irish flavour (as well as restoring the place's traditional feel, albeit in a different way). They do excellent small plates and run the old amazing room upstairs as a fancy restaurant Wednesday to Saturday. But the remaining three days they have the newly decorated (but beautifully and tastefully) space open for music.

The guy who books the gigs is a good friend of the guy who used to run The Lobby (who was asked by the new occupants to continue running gigs, but is busy with his relatively new super venue, The Pavilion) so the old spirit is kept alive by his similar taste and attitude. The new venue is called An Crúibín, so if anyone happens to be stranded in Cork, it's 2 minutes walk from the Bus Station, right across the street from city hall and a lovely place for a bite/coffee/pint/chat/read of the newspaper.

What became of McGonigles? (where was it again anyway?) This is a brilliant idea Mul.
Andy

Postby Mully » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:43 pm

Andy wrote:What became of McGonigles? (where was it again anyway?) This is a brilliant idea Mul.

McGarrigles is the one I'm thinking of, in Sligo. Seems to be still alive by the looks of it which is good.

McGonagles was a live venue in 80s Dublin, became 'The System' in the 90s playing techno. Wires crossed etc.
Mully

Return to The BellyBoard