Tour off to a great start!

Moderator: Eoin

Tour off to a great start!

Postby stasia_k » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:51 pm

Such an awesome show last night in Philly! The Tin Angel's stage is about the size of a kitchen table - just enough room for three people, and I'd guess seating capacity is 100-150.
Here's the setlist:
How Your Heart is Wired
Bad Skin Day (best version I've heard yet - the backing vocals were gems)
Velcro
Next to You
Rocky
Sugar High (new, I loved the hook "free to those who can't (or can?) afford it")
Blow Ins (good follow-up song)
Ribs (with an amazing a capella vocal loop set up with everyone singing la la la)
Great Defector
Pinball Machine
Eve
I Fought the Law
----encore----
New song sung by Dave - first line is about a guy named Henderson(?)
Alphabet Soup
Flame

I wish I could see this concert every night.
Stasia
stasia_k

Re: Tour off to a great start!

Postby Mully » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:33 pm

stasia_k wrote:New song sung by Dave - first line is about a guy named Henderson(?)

Windy Shepherd Henderson ?
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Rocky » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:07 pm

Mully wrote:
stasia_k wrote:New song sung by Dave - first line is about a guy named Henderson(?)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
Rocky

Postby johnny » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:52 pm

did they say anything about when their new album will be released??:)
johnny

Postby stasia_k » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:44 pm

the new album won't be out until next spring. a few people reacted by booing, so Paul explained that it's due in part to the Christmas season being a bad time in Ireland to release an album - due to The X Factor (when nobody responded, he thought for a moment and then said, like American Idol!) - is that right?
stasia_k

Postby Colm » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:45 pm

Mully wrote:

:lol:

Which one? There's at least four of them!
"If all time was but a day,
We'd show up around midnight and say hey"
Colm

Postby Venters » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:23 am

Is it the first time Paul covered Outkast's Ms. Jackson at the end of Next to You? I was thoroughly blown away by the snippet on youtube.
Venters

Postby Eoin » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:30 pm

He's done it a couple of times before that I've seen them.
Eoin

Postby vinnychick » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:51 pm

Yes they were so relaxed playing in such a mellow acoustic session in the Brattle St theater in Cambridge. It was a great setlist same as listed already I think and loved the new songs.

First tiem I ahve ever sat down at a Bell X1 concert and I've been to quite a few of them but they did a fantastic job. :wink:
vinnychick

Postby Rocky » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:17 pm

Wow I just realised I never said anything about the Boston gig yet. I enjoyed it and as always felt inspired by it, but just a little less than usual I think. I'll still go to see them in Galway when I get home and all though. The lads still clearly love what they are doing and judging by the R Kelly story they still have plenty of fun on tour so that's good to see. Long may it last. Also, well done to James Vincent McMorrow. i had heard of him before the gig but never any of his music. Very funny guy up on stage and very passionate and he won the crowd over in a big way.
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
Rocky

Postby Mr Benn » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:24 pm

^^ Gonna take a guess based on your tiny profile pic, guy in yellow t-shirt in second row?

Enjoyed the gig, weird venue... never been to a gig in a cinema before. 3 new songs: Velcro, 74 Swans and Henderson. Friend of mine took a video of Ribs of a Broken Umbrella: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h66Clv8NtA
"Your skin is something that I stir into my tea"
Joanna Newsom

Mr Benn

Postby Rocky » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:57 am

Wow well spotted my man. Did I see you? I would have looked out for you but had no idea what you look like.

I have a video of Henderson, 74 Swans and Velcro and I'll get them up eventually. I got a few more songs too and i'll get them all on eventually.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxalWr1LSR0 here's Velcro
Rocky

Postby MikeA » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:48 am

Had the pleasure of seeing Bell X1 Monday for the acoustic show in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I've been a huge fan since discovering "Flock" when it was released in the States and I can't say enough about how special the show was Monday. The Ark is such an intimate venue, hopefully everyone there understood how lucky they were to see these guys in such a setting. I think I actually preferred this show to the "regular" plugged in show I saw last year in Ann Arbor behind "Blue Lights On The Runway". I about lost it when "I'll See Your Heart & I'll Raise You Mine" started, my all-time favorite song of theirs, and never figured I'd see it performed live since it was never really released here.

I've posted a full review, with pictures, on my blog at:

http://mikea7.typepad.com/now_its_on/20 ... 01110.html

I usually try to take a lot more pictures at shows but cameras were kind of frowned on at The Ark so I had to sneak them in during "louder" minutes of the show.

Setlist for the show was as follows:
Bad Skin Day
Light Catches Your Face
Velcro
Rocky Took A Lover
Next To You
Flame
Eve, The Apple Of My Eye
New song ("What Could Be Safer Than Love") [Anyone know the title of this one?]
Just Like Mr. Benn
The Great Defector
I'll See Your Heart & I'll Raise You Mine

[encore]
Henderson
How Your Heart Is Wired
The Ribs Of A Broken Umbrella

James Vincent McMorrow was stunning as well, what a voice and what gorgeous songs. Totally won over the room by the first song. Just a great night of music in Michigan. Hope Bell X1 make it back next year behind the new album, would love to see them make a stop in Detroit since the local AAA station here played the hell out of "Great Defector".

MikeA
MikeA

Postby stasia_k » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:34 pm

Great review, Mike! Thanks for sharing the link to your blog. I am SO envious that you got to hear Just Like Mr. Benn, which might be my top wish list song (then again, I've heard them do I'll See Your Heart 2x, so all's fair). Going to the Pittsburgh show tonight, stay tuned!

Oh yeah, so that new song of Dave's is really called Henderson?
stasia_k

Postby Mully » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:50 am

stasia_k wrote: I am SO envious that you got to hear Just Like Mr. Benn, which might be my top wish list song

Hey Stasia,

Can I ask the question, Do you know Mr Benn ?
He was a childhood figure.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_TLOvU1qno-0/R ... benn_L.jpg
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Next

Return to The BellyBoard