Live Music 2011

Moderator: Eoin

Re: Live Music 2011

Postby Mully » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:44 pm

Nathalie wrote:I know nothing about his music. I believe his last album is good. Thing is, i've met him a couple of times through common friends and i thought i should go and see him on stage. Something different.

Gotcha ... Yeah, most of us get dragged along to see 'a friend of a friends band' play, but thats pretty high profile fir that catagory.

By the way, every 'friend of a friends band' is shit ... & I include the bellies in that :)
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Nathalie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:37 pm

you know me Mully, only hanging around with the stars... :P

Cheers Mr Benn. You've now ruined the gig ( :wink: i was not hugely looking forward to it anyway). Let's hope he's decent live. And lucky you, Radiohead... no date for Europe yet.
And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.
Nathalie

Postby Nathalie » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:07 pm

Jape supporting the Bellies at the Midnight Olympia. :D
Nathalie

Postby Rocky » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:20 pm

I would love to go to a mid night gig. It'd be like mid night mass on Christmas Eve except I would enjoy the singing and could have a few pints.
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
Rocky

Postby Mully » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:28 pm

Rocky wrote:I would love to go to a mid night gig. It'd be like mid night mass on Christmas Eve except I would enjoy the singing and could have a few pints.

Midnight gigs were great ... Rather than going to a gig a rushing to meet up with friends afterwards before last drinks or worrying if a bouncer would let you into the latebar, yo ucan have a fill of pints with your friends then head to the gig.
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Rocky » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:13 pm

I'll be at the Boston gig tonight. I have to go to The Kooks first down the road (I know, I thought they were dead too) but they're on at 6.30 or something so I'll have plenty of time to make it to see the lads. If not I'll certainly be cutting The Kooks short.
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
Rocky

Postby Rocky » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:00 pm

Very much enjoyed last night. Nice little club setting, only a couple of hundred people there but anyone I could see was genuinely into it. I stationed myself directly under Dave. It was strange because I was so close i could see the set list so I knew how the gig was going before it started. Strong set list too I think. It went:

Anna lena
Bad skin
Velcro
Next to you (with some R Kelly thrown in for good measure)
First born
4 min mile
Built to last
How your heart is wired
Defector
tongue
flame

rocky (hilarious moment at the start where just as Paul began to sing the first line the mic dropped a few inches so paul bend lower to sing into it and then it dropped all the way - I happened to get it on video)
sugar high

Very happy I got to see them again especially in such a small place but with a crowd who enjoyed it.
Rocky

Postby Mr Benn » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:09 pm

Was great to hear Anna Lena, hadn't heard them play it at the previous couple of gigs. I just hope they include Texas on their future tours, because I most likely will have moved by the time they do their next US tour!
"Your skin is something that I stir into my tea"
Joanna Newsom

Mr Benn

Postby shiv » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:43 am

Foster the people, mic christopher tribute, pinback, bellies in london and then leaders of men in whelans......busy couple of weeks ahead of me but very excited. Didnt realise when I booked all these tickets that they'd be so close together.......doh!
shiv

Postby Joanna » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:23 am

Venturing to Dublin tomorrow for my first gig there in a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ-kTgY4 ... re=related

These guys playing Whelans upstairs for freee. They're class!
Goooood Afternoonan
Joanna

Postby Mully » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:09 pm

Joanna wrote:Venturing to Dublin tomorrow for my first gig there in a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ-kTgY4 ... re=related

These guys playing Whelans upstairs for freee. They're class!

The guy in the hat is the spits of Marc Wootton
Mully

Postby Nathalie » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:47 am

Nathalie wrote:you know me Mully, only hanging around with the stars... :P

Gavin Friday tonight, with Sinead O'Connor for two songs. Saw Brendan O'Connor, John Kelly and John Rocha, plus another few that looked familiar. Good stars turn up, yet, the place was far from full. And i reckon half of the people there were his mates. Decent gig, at least interesting, mainly because he is theatrical enough. Songs were pretty average bar 2 or 3 decent ones. And some were just plain awful. Glad I went though.
Nathalie

Postby Nathalie » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:48 am

Nathalie wrote:Jape supporting the Bellies at the Midnight Olympia. :D

hemm... no they're not. Who are we getting for Dublin?
Nathalie

Postby Colm » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:14 am

Nathalie wrote:

Yeah, saw that. It just says Jape supports all shows except Dublin. :(

Saw Gemma Hayes and Delorentos in the last few weeks, looking forward to the Bellies, O Emperor and Lisa Hannigan next month.
"If all time was but a day,
We'd show up around midnight and say hey"
Colm

Postby Mully » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:19 am

Colm wrote:
Nathalie wrote:

Yeah, saw that. It just says Jape supports all shows except Dublin. :(

Its past his bedtime ....
Mully

PreviousNext

Return to The BellyBoard