Bloodless Coup

Moderator: Eoin

Re: Bloodless Coup

Postby Colm » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:38 pm

The album is streaming now on the band's facebook page. Listening to it now, sounds good so far. :)
"If all time was but a day,
We'd show up around midnight and say hey"
Colm

Postby stasia_k » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:55 pm

I'm listening to it right now, and the first song that I hadn't previously heard before is 4 Minute Mile - OMG it is great!!! Looks like it's track 6, and I'd say it's the best one so far.
stasia_k

Postby Nathalie » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:34 pm

3rd listening finished. the best one. alone, loud and introverted. Quite an accomplished album. Mature and very rich on all levels. If Blue Lights felt transitional, this one is well anchored in their new world. And i'm going there with them. Track 9 Haloumi is an absolutely amazing song. Totally blown away.

There's thunder in Dublin this evening. Even the universe is moved. A great album delivered at a perfect time. Looking forward to next Wednesday.
Wishing you all the best on this new adventure. Here and over there. Loving you always. :D
And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.
Nathalie

Postby Eoin » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:49 am

I like it a lot more than Blue Lights. :) On second proper listen at the moment.

Reconsidering getting some tickets for the ol' Vicar St. I'm kinda broke* but I'm suddenly thinking I might regret missing it.

*I have a large amount of opposite-moneys
Eoin

Postby VocalicPage » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:39 am

I'm partial to Blue Lights on the Runway, but I can see already that I might like Bloodless Coup even better. I've only listened once all the way through. I came, I think, but I never really know.

Kidding. Seriously. But I did love it. :)
VocalicPage

Postby Rocky » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:44 am

I listened to it streaming once the day before it came out but it kind of felt like cheating and I also wasn't grabbed by it. Finally got my hands on it yesterday evening and had a listen. Liking it more now with each listen but still not overly delighted with it. I really like the first 4 songs. I think Nightwatchmen is going to be my favourite for now but Sugar High is also good. I like the lyrics to 4 Minute Mile but the song overall does not sit that well with me. I'll have more opinions the more I listen to it but happier overall that I thought I'd be :D
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
Rocky

Postby allovertheshop » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:23 pm

Absolutely loving this album. On the 5th listen through now. Favourite for me so far is 'The Trailing Skirts of God'. Delicious! A simple and honest account of what it is to grow up in Catholic Ireland and one which most Irish people can relate to.

Good stuff lads! Job well done
allovertheshop

Postby Nathalie » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:49 pm

If you haven't read it already...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/the ... 75863.html

"Dave Geraghty, who is also Bell X1’s sharpest dresser"

how things change. i remember a time when the sexy (burgundy) suit didn't belong to Dave! :wink:
Nathalie

Postby geofelgie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:46 pm

Wow, i had no idea a new album was imminent!

Only just listening to it so I wont comment but Blue Lights on the Runway was my favourite so far - so I am hopeful I'll love it just as much.

One question.....is there a vinyl version coming?
geofelgie

Postby Colm » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:36 pm

Listened to the album a lot over the weekend and I'm loving it, definitely better than Blue Lights imo. Nightwatchmen, Sugar High, Trailing Skirts Of God and Four-Minute Mile are the standouts for me so far.
"If all time was but a day,
We'd show up around midnight and say hey"
Colm

Postby Rocky » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:43 am

I'd like to issue a full apology to 4 Minute Mile. It couldn't sit better with me now. :D
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
Rocky

Postby Nathalie » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:47 am

Still think Built to last and Haloumi are my two fav. But i love it all. no skipping songs. It's gathered, solid. and the energy it releases is amazing. little dancing me is responding very positively to the beat! cant wait tomorrow. please please please play Haloumi on wednesday night!! :D
Nathalie

Postby stasia_k » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:55 pm

Rocky wrote:I'd like to issue a full apology to 4 Minute Mile. It couldn't sit better with me now. :D

If this were Facebook, I would "like" this comment. I feel the same way about Haloumi - didn't sit well with me the first couple of listens, but then ALL OF A SUDDEN, yesterday it was playing and everything was right in the world.

Side note: there's an interview and live acoustic performances up at Last.fm, via a station I listen to: http://radio923fm.radio.com/2011/04/04/last-fm-discover-bell-x1/. The interview's a little weird, though, because the questions are shown, not spoken.
stasia_k

Postby Niftium » Sun May 29, 2011 4:45 pm

The vocals in the chorus of Haloumi sound clipped at the source. But there's also some scratchy-record sound going on simultaneously. Men of the golden ears, discuss.
Niftium

Postby Eoin » Tue May 31, 2011 9:22 pm

What do you mean by "clipped at the source"? :)

There's bit of a band-pass filter on the harmonies or else maybe just a mic with a mid-range peak. Sounds like moderate compression as well. I think there's some valve crispiness going on in there, which could be a valve mic or a hot signal into a valve mic preamp or just some subtle post-production second-harmonic distortion.

The massive compressor on the drums gives the whole thing the impression of being somewhat more distorted/heavy than it really is.
Eoin

PreviousNext

Return to The BellyBoard