Marlay Park - Where to stay etc

Moderator: Eoin

Marlay Park - Where to stay etc

Postby staralfur » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:49 am

Hey folks

New here so might as well use this as my hello thread as well, hello.

ANyway, coming down in August for the Marlay Park show and wondering about transport etc. Normally when I come to Dublin I stay in the Christchurch area, handy for the car etc, but I wouldn't have the first clue on how to get out to Marlay Park from there. I have no intention of drving to the gig itelf so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
staralfur

Re: Marlay Park - Where to stay etc

Postby Mully » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:29 pm

Howdy ...

If you look at a map of Marlay Pk, the concert entrance is from Grange Road.

I reckon you have 2 options;

1. Stay in the city & get a bus out to Marlay Park ( www.dublinbus.ie )
2. Grab Accomodation near Marlay Park, leave the car there.

1. Get the 48A from O'Connell St, to Broadford Rd, then walk up Ballinteer Avenue, reverse for getting home .... This would be suspect, as there is no mention of Concert Buses on the Dublin Bus website, so you may have to leave the concert early to catch the last bus to town ...

2. Try this crowd (http://imiresidence.com/marlay_park.php) .... Getting to & from the concert would be easier than to/from the city centre esp. as you are unfamiliar with the area so no messing around with buses.

I presume you are coming from the North, when you pass the Airport keep an eye out for the M50 motorway (southbound) & follow it all the way around to exit 13 (There is a barrierless toll on the M50, so just pay in a newsagent before 8am the next day)
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Mr Benn » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:51 am

^^There are buses after the gig, curfew in Marlay Park is 10.45, and there were plenty of buses/taxis around after the Joanna Newsom gig last weekend.
"Your skin is something that I stir into my tea"
Joanna Newsom

Mr Benn

Postby Mully » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:16 pm

Mr Benn wrote:^^There are buses after the gig, curfew in Marlay Park is 10.45, and there were plenty of buses/taxis around after the Joanna Newsom gig last weekend.

If you say so ... Dublin Bus are saying there are no Special Buses for the concerts.
http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/ ... Transport/

I keep forgetting its not a proper Marlay Park gig (20k people) ... So traffic I presume will be eased significantly. I was never one to sit in a taxi, in traffic, snailing along, watching the meter tick up. Really boils my piss that stuff.
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Mr Benn » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:48 pm

No special buses, but whatever the regular ones around there are (16a?) were running
"Your skin is something that I stir into my tea"
Joanna Newsom

Mr Benn

Postby Eoin » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:11 pm

16, but not the 16a. I made that mistake once when I was heading out to the craft centre. :oops:

One can get the 16 from O'Connell Street. But if staying around Christchurch then the stop on George's Street would be closer.
Eoin

Postby Nathalie » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:59 am

Oulala, can't wait!!! Back from holidays (Lorraine and Corsica). All rested, happy & tanned for a great weekend with the girls. It's gonna be legendary! :D :D
And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.
Nathalie

Postby Mully » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:20 pm

5:30 Cashier No 9
6:30 Easy Star All Stars
7:45 Editors
9:15 Bell X1
Mully

Postby staralfur » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:46 am

Got a B&B on Rathfarnham Road in the end, Belville House. Anyone know how handy it is to the venue?
staralfur

Postby Mully » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:24 pm

staralfur wrote:Got a B&B on Rathfarnham Road in the end, Belville House. Anyone know how handy it is to the venue?

http://www.dublinevents.com/dublin-bed- ... -house.php

Looking at the map above, it seems to be a short enough taxi ride to Grange Road Entrance
Mully

Postby Nathalie » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:37 am

D day!! Can't wait!!!

About transport, anyone has any recommendation for the girls driving from town? Anywhere better to park, any particular entrance to follow? Thanks for the help.

Enjoy the gig Bellexian people. It's gonna be a very good one!! :D :D
Nathalie

Postby Colm » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:36 pm

Can't make it and very jealous of everyone who's going, but enjoy the gig and get there early if ye can for Cashier No. 9!
"If all time was but a day,
We'd show up around midnight and say hey"
Colm

Postby staralfur » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:54 am

All in all, Belvile House was very handy to the venue, Editors (who I made the trip to see) were fantastic, although it was a shame that as per usual a Dublin crowd cannot keep quiet during a quieter song. Cashier No. 9 were also enjoyable as were Easy Star All Stars, they were totally unexpected but certainly raised a few smiles from me.
staralfur

Postby shiv » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:25 pm

Overall a great night. Cashier no. 9were really good but easy star all stars just annoyed me. Editors were really good but bellies were seriously on form........played everything I wanted to hear and it was great to hear haloumi live. Absolutely fantastic :D
shiv

Postby Nathalie » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:23 pm

for once, i was at the back with the messers. Great craic. Didn't real care much for Editors. Thought they were ok. Thought the sound wasn't great though overall. But thanks for Haloumi. Loved it. Good gig. Will go again. :P
Nathalie

Next

Return to The BellyBoard