The song that hooked you

Moderator: Eoin

The song that hooked you

Postby danar75 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:19 pm

I'm curious... what was the song that officially hooked you? I was late to the game myself. I first heard The Great Defector and The Ribs of a Broken Umbrella on WXPN out of the University of Pennsylvania. I dug both (and managed to score free downloads via Amazon), but I was a passive fan until a friend turned me on to Phantom 105.2. I'm ashamed to say that I didn't officially declare myself a true fan until 4 Minute Mile was released, but I blame the relative ignorance of American commercial radio for not recognizing that Bell X1's music is incredible. I'm making up for lost time now, though!

So, was it love at first song, or did it take a tune or two to get reeled in?
"Someday, we'll be the fairest of them all."
danar75

Re: The song that hooked you

Postby Rocky » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:11 pm

The first I saw of Bell X1 was on Other Voices (Songs From a Room - as it was at the time) many moons ago. I think it may have been the best of the season and they were singing Daybreak. I had no idea what the show even was or who the band were but I saw a group of lads sitting down playing something special in what looked like a dark, smoky church. I thought nothing more of it until I heard Eve, The Apple of my Eye on the radio the next day and that was that. Hooked.
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
Rocky

Postby Eoin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:01 am

I was kind of a fan from the start by default (having been a fan of Juniper) but the Bell X1 song that really won me over was Alphabet Soup (live), which I first heard shortly before Neither Am I came out. :)
Eoin

Postby Nathalie » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:36 am

Was a real passive fan, as for 18 months i had Music in Mouth on my shelves but didn't listen to it (twas a presie to the ex). Then, summer 2005, i was given a compilation CD. Next to you was song 4. It's been le grand amour ever since. :)
And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.
Nathalie

Postby Mully » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:39 am

Man on Mir for me ... Pinball Machine was a nice enough ditty, but I went to see them for the first time when Phantom started playing MoM.
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
Mully

Postby Loveless » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:28 am

Man on Mir... first song I heard by them.
Loveless

Postby shiv » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:41 pm

I too was a fan of juniper but it was beautiful madness that got me hooked!
shiv

Postby surfergirl » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:32 pm

I saw them open for U2 in Dublin and Great Defector and Flame sold me. I rushed out and bought their cds only to discover they were the band I heard on the radio when I trekked around Ireland for 4 weeks back in 2007. I heard Snakes and Snakes, Alphabet Soup, and Pinball Machine many times over and loved the songs but never knew who the band was. Let’s just say, it was a pleasant surprise!
I'll never draw anything but stick-men ~ 4 minute mile
surfergirl

Postby VocalicPage » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:04 am

It was love at first song, but the second song almost made me run away screaming. I had heard of Bell X1, but never paid them much mind until I heard The Great Defector on XM Radio. Loved it instantly. Then, for some unknown reason, this radio station started playing One Stringed Harp. I was appalled the first time I heard it. (I've grown to love it, but it's a grudging sort of love.) In the end, I liked The Great Defector enough to go searching for more.
VocalicPage

Postby Andy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:53 am

Hard to answer that. I think I remember hearing alphabet soup at Witnness 2000 and going yeeeahhh, but I wouldn't say I was hooked. I think I next saw them in Mullingar a short time later and I would say the live performance rather than any one particular song got me hooked. Slowset was always my favourite song back then I think.

Going off topic slightly if I may, thinking about back then reminded me of a nice story. I was working in Barcelona for a bank in September 2001 and staying in this swanky hotel and I had my guitar with me. I was playing slowset one Sunday afternoon I had off and I finished and I heard this knock on the door. Immediately I got nervous, expecting the manager to be standing at the door with a noise complaint. But I opened the door and there was this young, maybe just about teenaged American kid, and he just said 'eh Hi, I just wanted to say, that was reeeaaallly cool', so I told him to wait and scribbled down the band name and said check 'em out. I wonder did he ever? :wink:
Andy

Postby Colm » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:02 pm

Alphabet Soup for me, it still brings me back to my teens. I sound like an oul fella reminciscing about the good old days! :oops:
"If all time was but a day,
We'd show up around midnight and say hey"
Colm

Return to The BellyBoard