Chop Chop!

Moderator: Eoin

Re: Chop Chop!

Postby Mully » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:21 am

trickster wrote:Chop Chop

On first listen I was a bit iffy about it, but on repeated listens, and with the songs sinking in, it's sounding very beautiful. Some might be disappointed there's no real 'loud' songs, and I am a little, but the gentle, stripped down theme on the album is done so well


Nail on the there, Trickster.

The rewards are less obvious this time around.
I assume its to with the new production team, but Dave's piano sounds like is in the room on '1000 little downers'.
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
User avatar
Mully
 
Posts: 2832
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:00 am
Location: mcr, over on the mainland

Re: Chop Chop!

Postby Nathalie » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:27 am

Can't wait to get mine. :)

On first listening on Wednesday evening in the NCH, it sounded a bit more gentle alright. But i think their signature is still there (songs 4 and 5). As they mentioned it during the interview that night, the have used less gadgets and weird instruments (no cow bell?). Chop chop, cut here and there for something simpler yet remaining true. Anyone has read why they chose that name by the way?
And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone.
User avatar
Nathalie
 
Posts: 4283
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Brian Road, Marino, D3

Re: Chop Chop!

Postby peepingtom » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:27 am

I absolutely love it .... hello to all by the way ... its been a while
__________________________________________________________________________________
User avatar
peepingtom
 
Posts: 1573
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:51 pm
Location: Looking for a clean pair of undies

Re: Chop Chop!

Postby Rocky » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:15 pm

trickster wrote:On another note, it's a bit sad to see it so quiet around here even when the album is out this week :(


Can't disagree with you on that one. Time was there'd be 12-15 threads going at once for a new album and you'd be checking the board as often as you would now check Facebook. It's a pity because it was a nice little community we had going here.
All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. - Noam Chomsky
User avatar
Rocky
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:43 pm
Location: Somerville, MA

Re: Chop Chop!

Postby Darren » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:47 pm

Aye, it's a shame nobody really posts here anymore. As for the album, it's been a bit of a disappointing last 3 albums from Bell X1. Sorry to say it but BLOTR was a travesty. Bloodless Coup grew on me but at the same time, it was only good. Nothing that blew my mind. Compare the first 3 albums to the last 3 albums.. Every single song on the first 3 are better. I like the new album, don't get me wrong. 7 of the 9 songs on it are good but again it's an album that won't make any waves. It's not something I'll ever tell someone to check out. Oh and Drive BY SUMMER, didn't know Bell X1 did covers? Just sounds like I fought the law.. 2 weeks it took them to make this album. It really shows as well. Next time let me produce the album.

Also, starlings as an opener just doesn't work. I'm sorry, but a bland and boring track to open the album? Just no!
WEB: dizmonster.eu |TWITTER: @dizmonster
User avatar
Darren
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:31 pm
Location: Cork

Re: Chop Chop!

Postby peepingtom » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:28 pm

Message boards are being overtaken/replaced by facebook groups ... I like the way they are all in the one place
__________________________________________________________________________________
User avatar
peepingtom
 
Posts: 1573
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:51 pm
Location: Looking for a clean pair of undies

Re: Chop Chop!

Postby Eoin » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:29 am

I like it, and it's growing on me quickly. It's mellow and it's short, and it doesn't feel like they wrote it worrying about whether the radio would like it or whether it would appeal to entitled fans.
User avatar
Eoin
 
Posts: 2988
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:40 am

Re: Chop Chop!

Postby Mully » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:35 pm

Darren wrote:I have to say the 3 songs I've heard from CC are very good. You can preview the whole album on amazon. 30 seconds init.


Or listen to the whole thing ...

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/av/2 ... -chop.html
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
User avatar
Mully
 
Posts: 2832
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:00 am
Location: mcr, over on the mainland

Re: Chop Chop!

Postby trickster » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:16 pm

Eoin wrote:I like it, and it's growing on me quickly. It's mellow and it's short, and it doesn't feel like they wrote it worrying about whether the radio would like it or whether it would appeal to entitled fans.


Very well put. Good way to describe it.
"I'm love me, love me, love me, i'm a small bit of a prick, i got the meat sweats from this real politic"
trickster
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:49 am

Re: Chop Chop!

Postby Mully » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:55 am

trickster wrote:
Eoin wrote:I like it, and it's growing on me quickly. It's mellow and it's short, and it doesn't feel like they wrote it worrying about whether the radio would like it or whether it would appeal to entitled fans.


Very well put. Good way to describe it.


Reminds me of the time The Frames put out 'For The Birds'.
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
User avatar
Mully
 
Posts: 2832
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:00 am
Location: mcr, over on the mainland

Re: Chop Chop!

Postby lilac*mess » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:45 pm

A flurry of Bellyboard activity.. holy Cribbins. Nice to see some of you old monikers, feels a bit like a school reunion. Hello :)

I've only listened through once, but I really like it. I havn't much enjoyed the direction the band went after (and including) Flock, just didn't really speak to me, but Chop Chop is lovely, I very much approve.

Oh and Matt - kids?!? WTF
remember your raincoat
User avatar
lilac*mess
 
Posts: 1482
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:21 pm

Re: Chop Chop!

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:53 pm

Eoin wrote:I like it, and it's growing on me quickly. It's mellow and it's short, and it doesn't feel like they wrote it worrying about whether the radio would like it or whether it would appeal to entitled fans.


It's obvious to most people that after Flock, Bell X1 stopped making "radio friendly music" they took chances and made the music they wanted which is admirable but I just don't think the quality has been there in the last 3 albums. It seems like Bell X1 have driven down a cul de sac with the last 3 albums and show no signs of getting out of it. A thousand little downers is probably the only song that grabs you by the balls and makes you think "maybe Bell X1 can still write a decent song.." I think personally Brian leaving the band is the reason for their downfall. init.
WEB: dizmonster.eu |TWITTER: @dizmonster
User avatar
Darren
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:31 pm
Location: Cork

Re: Chop Chop!

Postby Mully » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:58 pm

Darren wrote:
Eoin wrote:
It's obvious to most people that after Flock, Bell X1 stopped making "radio friendly music" they took chances and made the music they wanted which is admirable but I just don't think the quality has been there in the last 3 albums. It seems like Bell X1 have driven down a cul de sac with the last 3 albums and show no signs of getting out of it. A thousand little downers is probably the only song that grabs you by the balls and makes you think "maybe Bell X1 can still write a decent song.." I think personally Brian leaving the band is the reason for their downfall. init.


Doesn't stop you whoring yourself to them on twitter :wink:
"The band that is now the core of BELL X1 but at the time had a lead singer called Damien Rice - and what became of them all - sank into obscurity no doubt!" Dan Hegarty, 2FM 2006 (with tongue firmly in cheek)
User avatar
Mully
 
Posts: 2832
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:00 am
Location: mcr, over on the mainland

Re: Chop Chop!

Postby Darren » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:23 pm

Mully wrote:
Darren wrote:
Eoin wrote:
It's obvious to most people that after Flock, Bell X1 stopped making "radio friendly music" they took chances and made the music they wanted which is admirable but I just don't think the quality has been there in the last 3 albums. It seems like Bell X1 have driven down a cul de sac with the last 3 albums and show no signs of getting out of it. A thousand little downers is probably the only song that grabs you by the balls and makes you think "maybe Bell X1 can still write a decent song.." I think personally Brian leaving the band is the reason for their downfall. init.


Doesn't stop you whoring yourself to them on twitter :wink:


Well, I'm a bit of a slut. :(
WEB: dizmonster.eu |TWITTER: @dizmonster
User avatar
Darren
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:31 pm
Location: Cork

Re: Chop Chop!

Postby Eoin » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:57 pm

Darren wrote:It's obvious to most people that after Flock, Bell X1 stopped making "radio friendly music" they took chances and made the music they wanted which is admirable but I just don't think the quality has been there in the last 3 albums. It seems like Bell X1 have driven down a cul de sac with the last 3 albums and show no signs of getting out of it. A thousand little downers is probably the only song that grabs you by the balls and makes you think "maybe Bell X1 can still write a decent song.." I think personally Brian leaving the band is the reason for their downfall. init.


BLOTR saw more radio play than any other album. It sounds like that was the intention, which is part of why it was my least favourite album.

Bloodless Coup is more original and distinctive than Flock in my opinion, so I'm dubious of your Brian theory. Not being privy to their creative process, it seems presumptuous to speculate.
User avatar
Eoin
 
Posts: 2988
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:40 am

PreviousNext

Return to The BellyBoard

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest

cron