CD Duplication

Moderator: Eoin

CD Duplication

Postby Andy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:08 pm

Hey folks, hope ye're all well.

I drop by seeking advice. Perhaps Eoin, Dec, Aidan, Tony or Tadhg or anyone, might recommend a CD duplicator? I'm looking around, but a bit of experienced advice always helps. I know of trend obviously and dupadisc.co.uk... any hidden gems around?

just looking for the best value at top quality... don't want to get duped... :roll:
Andy

Re: CD Duplication

Postby Eoin » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:03 pm

Hey Andy, how's it going?

Funnily enough, I've been looking for somewhere to duplicate/replicate my album for the past couple of months. In general, I've found places in Ireland to be pretty uncompetitive and disinterested. The smaller operations tend to try harder, but the quality only gets so good, so it depends on what you're going for. The UK, surprisingly, was worse, in that I have yet to receive a single email response from a UK-based duplicator. Some of this could be down to how exacting my needs are. But in saying that, I had no difficulty once I looked elsewhere in the EU. PM me your email address and I'll shoot you a quick email about some of the places I've looked into anyway.

I'd say Aidan C would probably be the best man to talk to about it around here.

Where ever you're thinking of, get them to send you samples. Any of the good ones will, even if you're not promising to get more than a couple of hundred units. Businesses that won't offer samples, or give round-about answers when you ask for a quote, or don't answer emails within 24 hours - forget about them.
Eoin

Postby Aidan C » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:44 pm

Hoyhoy Andy, good to hear from you!

First of all... you've gotta decide between duplication (CD-R) vs replication (CD).

For anything under 500 units, don't bother with CDs - CD-Rs are a lot more cost-effective, and even though there are compatibility issues with certain CD players, it's quite simply not viable to go with glass master CD replication at those quantities. Most suppliers wouldn't even do it, and wouldn't take orders of under 500 units on CDs. This is because the majority of the cost is producing the glass master itself, from which the rest are moulded.

Between 500 and 1000, it would probably be cheaper to go with CD-Rs, but the difference in price is more negligible, and you might want to put in the extra money in for the sake of getting actual CDs (always best when available)

At around 1000 units, the economic scale leans in the opposite direction - CDs are cheaper per unit. In fact, because of the way the process works -- one mould is used to make all the discs -- the price per unit plummets at around this point.

For instance, for replication with a full-colour card wallet & flap, 1000 CDs can come to about €900 incl VAT, while 500 would be around €820 incl VAT.

Now I've just used two suppliers and had no problems with either. For both Kybosh singles and Tin Tin, I got CD-Rs done up due to the size of the (initial) runs. I did this through Vanessa at musicmattersinternational.com. She's based in Dublin, is quick, helpful and completely reliable - the prices are good, particularly for short runs:

300 CDRS, duplicated, black thermal printed with 2-page insert (full colour – one square printed front and back) in an ultrathin case, barcode and Chart registered will work €375 including VAT

The problems were few, mainly down to the CD-R format rather than the company itself, and when we needed a second run for Tin Tin, we had it within two days - which is very handy if you sense your stock is running low.

For 'Forgotten Man', the size of the run was 1000, and I went with mediashack.co.uk, based on the advice of a colleague. While they were awkward to deal with at times, and the process was a little slower than I might have hoped, the end product (and the price) was absolutely brilliant and the value was great. Prices on the website. You do have to get your own barcode and chart registration, and if there's a problem with the artwork or the media files, it can add two or three days onto the process... they won't sort little problems out for you like MMI would, but if you have time, I'd recommend you go with them.

The exchange rate is a bonus too, and don't forget that UK businesses also offer a much lower VAT rate. I did, but the surprise in the end was a pleasant one, for a change!

For the next single, I'm going to be producing a run of just 150, for press and the like. I'll go back to MMI for this, as the ability to hand in a CD with the audio and artwork, then come away with the units a day later, is worth a lot more than the VAT or exchange rate benefit.
Aidan C

Postby Andy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:51 am

Hey lads, thanks.

Spent a good while searching around that day. Took me a while to notice the difference in duplication and replication. How large/expensive are those moulding machines? Have some samples on the way from the guy at dupadisc who seems to be pretty helpful.

Replication all the way i'd say. It's not as if a next day service is really that important when you've probably spent a year or more working on the thing anyway, or in my case 8 years :)

Anyway, i'm not even close to having anything together. I got bored with the songs we were playing with futureboy pretty quickly (some of them had been hanging around for three years or so) and as everyone was busy with stuff i put the band on ice. Maybe a bit foolish as we were having a lot of fun and sounding pretty good, i thought, but i've got plenty of things to occupy my time with, what with college and all and my new bike and my increasing obsession with the tv show countdown.

I've taken up the drums too, which would be good, but because i managed to fall into the backseat in a bloody great band, it's great. Band currently still underground as yet, but this guys in it, so you'll get a bit of the flavour if you're arsed http://www.myspace.com/jameseliottaylor . He's also the guy i'm enquiring for as i'm assisting him in his album arrangements. I might be biased, but i fuppin love it.

Have you anything online to listen to Eoin?
Andy

Postby Eoin » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:46 am

Andy wrote:Have you anything online to listen to Eoin?

I'll have a Myspace page up and running by this weekend.

Incidentally, if anyone knows how to make the streaming quality of Myspace tracks not totally suck, now is the time to let me in on the secret. It can definitely be done, since a lot of existing bands seem to have respectable encoding quality, but I'm thinking one has to fellate Tom in order to get it.
Eoin

Postby Andy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:06 pm

No idea, but i'll keep my ear open.
Andy

Return to The BellyBoard